• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm prohibition group touts its own study on firearm industry marketing to minorities

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
How the Firearms Industry and NRA Market Guns to Communities of Color
Section Three: The NSSF and NRA Exploit COVID-19 In Their Marketing Efforts

Section Four: The Reality of Black and Latino Americans and Guns

Section Five: The Myth of Self-Defense Gun Use

Gun Industry and NRA Target Blacks and Latinos as First-Time Gun Owners and Future Pro-Gun Advocates, New Violence Policy Center Study Details
The 39-page report, How the Firearms Industry and NRA Market Guns to Communities of Color, documents efforts begun in 2015 that have only intensified over time. The VPC report reveals the scope of this marketing effort as evidenced by: gun industry marketing studies and related materials from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF, the trade association for the firearms industry); articles in gun industry publications, advertisements, videos, and social media; and, NRA articles, online programming, and related materials.

In its marketing efforts to communities of color, the gun industry frequently focuses on the self-defense use of firearms, despite the fact that guns are rarely used to stop crimes or kill criminals and are far more likely to be used in homicides, suicides, or fatal unintentional shootings. Recognizing that Blacks and Latinos are already disproportionately impacted by lethal gun violence, these efforts can only increase death and injury in these communities.

VPC Executive Director and study author Josh Sugarmann states, “Much like the tobacco industry’s search for replacement smokers, the gun industry is seeking replacement shooters. Along with the hope of increased gun sales, a corollary goal of this effort is to turn more Blacks and Latinos, who historically support gun violence prevention measures, into pro-gun advocates for future political battles.”
For the uninitiated, the VPC is the group founded by Josh Sugarmann, formerly of the National Coalition to Ban Handguns. The VPC's focus has been to promote the concept of "assault weapon" as a legal term and treat firearm ownership as a national health crisis. The group opposes carry, .50-cals, imports, the Eddie Eagle program, and, apparently, minorities possessing firearms.

Here is the conclusion of a doc the VPC published on "assault weapons" in 1988:
Assault Weapons and Accessories in America

The National Coalition to Ban Handguns eventually became the CSGV.

I've been saying this on the no-longer-reading COVID threads. "I'm gonna create a study that looks professional but confirms everything I believe."

Why is it when you "target" people you're almost a criminal. Anything gun related. Cigarette companies in black neighborhoods (among other places - but they wanna show that Big Tobacco is really just racist).

But if FB or Amazon wants to "target" me with ideas of what to buy or do, that's 100% cool.

Either it's targeting or marketing. It can't be both.

Gun Control
Is
Jim Crow

How the Firearms Industry and NRA Market Guns to Communities of Color
Talk about an out-yourself moment.

Conclusion:
They're getting really worried about
previously reliable Donk voters arming themselves.

Not talking about gang-bangers.
Not talking about the 40-yo revolver with six bullets in the nightstand.
Talking about actual citizen buying actual brand-new guns.

They must be getting frantic, worrying about how once they're packing heat,
how you gonna keep 'em down on the Urban Vote-Harvesting Plantation?

WTF do they think the term "Target Market" means in the advertising world?

The ad for X in Good Housekeeping isn't exaclty going to be the same as the ad for X in Penthouse.

Gun Control
Is
Jim Crow

Talk about an out-yourself moment.

Conclusion:
They're getting really worried about
previously reliable Donk voters arming themselves.

Not talking about gang-bangers.
Not talking about the 40-yo revolver with six bullets in the nightstand.
Talking about actual citizen buying actual brand-new guns.

They must be getting frantic, worrying about how once they're packing heat,
how you gonna keep 'em down on the Urban Vote-Harvesting Plantation?
And the NAACP continually lobbies to keep every Jim Crow law in my state.

I've been saying this on the no-longer-reading COVID threads. "I'm gonna create a study that looks professional but confirms everything I believe."

Why is it when you "target" people you're almost a criminal. Anything gun related. Cigarette companies in black neighborhoods (among other places - but they wanna show that Big Tobacco is really just racist).

But if FB or Amazon wants to "target" me with ideas of what to buy or do, that's 100% cool.

Either it's targeting or marketing. It can't be both.
It can be both lol... how can you market to your target audience if you don't target your market share?

If guns are useless for self defense and but "all the Black criminals have them", what other options are there to defend against Black criminals?

This article from VPC is so racist.

So literally every other industry on the planet is going wild marketing to minority groups, using non-white people in commercials almost exclusively, but if the gun industry does it they’re evil?

But yes, gun control group, we shouldn’t market or even sell guns to non-white people. Good position.

"It would give to persons of the negro race, who were recognised as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon political affairs, and to keep and carry arms wherever they went. And all of this would be done in the face of the subject race of the same color, both free and slaves, and inevitably producing discontent and insubordination among them, and endangering the peace and safety of the State.

It is impossible, it would seem, to believe that the great men of the slaveholding States, who took so large a share in framing the Constitution of the United States, and exercised so much influence in procuring its adoption, could have been so forgetful or regardless of their own safety and the safety of those who trusted and confided in them."

-R. Taney, D. Scot v. Sanford

Would have just been faster on their part to skip the study and go right back to the source material.

It's not just guns. Take a look at Cold Steel's DVDs. They advertise how their swords and Bowie knives can lop off arms, legs and heads with a single blow. Nothing against Lynn Thompson and the rest of the CS crew, but it seems to me, a non-attorney, such rhetoric could invite lawsuits if their products were used to harm someone.
So literally every other industry on the planet is going wild marketing to minority groups, using non-white people in commercials almost exclusively, but if the gun industry does it they’re evil?

But yes, gun control group, we shouldn’t market or even sell guns to non-white people. Good position.

When the entire country is trying to get rid of old negative stereotypes like "black man with a gun is always a criminal", the VPC is promoting it and using it to scare people.

Back
Top Bottom