• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm on boat? (sorry if dupe, can't find anything in search)

Hey all, my apologies if this is a dupe, but nothing pulled up in my search and run through to page 50.

What are the legalities of having a firearm on your boat in MA? How does that change if you cruise from MA up to ME? From what I gather, this is oft a polarizing topic, but am hoping to get some clear legal definition from the good folk here.

Let's presume the boat is equipped/capable of being a legit year round live aboard. If the boat is capable of being a primary or second home, do your gun permissions extend here as in your primary residence presuming you store it as you would in your home? Does the boat NEED to be your primary residence for having a firearm aboard to apply.

Though piracy is indeed alive and well, it's not as though I'm fearful of danger on the high seas of coastal New England, but, I'd like to understand where I stand in this regard.

Best...CrushItLikeQuint

First: What do you mean by "firearm"? Are you referring to the Massachusetts definition (i.e. a handgun), or the "common sense" version - including a shotgun or rifle?

It makes a difference. If you mean "can I carry my pistol on my boat", or "can I keep a shottie below decks in case I'm caught with someone else's lobsters", the answer will be different.

Oh...and if you Crush it like Quint....don't you lose a nickel? [laugh]

LOL...point well taken on that nickle, MisterHappy!

Regarding firearm definition, I was thinking pistol, but the old 870 might make sense to have aboard, too. I'd like to know the answer for pistol, shotgun, and rifle given they apply differently.

I honestly have no firm answer, as there are a lot of conflicting jurisdictions and types of laws to be followed.

If you're serious about it, I'd contact a firearms attorney.

Pitfalls I see:
Is the gun being "transported" or "stored" - different requiremnts for both

If you're boating about during hunting season, could you be considered to be "hunting"?

If you're near "secure" or "sensitive" areas, there may be other issues. A friend's father's boat was boarded and searched a few years back during a Constitution turn around, because the USCG Aux. guy thought he had an attitude. This was pre-9/11....I'm sure it's worse, now.

at the risk of making a nautical pun....it's a deep subject.

Hey all, my apologies if this is a dupe, but nothing pulled up in my search and run through to page 50.

What are the legalities of having a firearm on your boat in MA? How does that change if you cruise from MA up to ME? From what I gather, this is oft a polarizing topic, but am hoping to get some clear legal definition from the good folk here.

Let's presume the boat is equipped/capable of being a legit year round live aboard. If the boat is capable of being a primary or second home, do your gun permissions extend here as in your primary residence presuming you store it as you would in your home? Does the boat NEED to be your primary residence for having a firearm aboard to apply.

Though piracy is indeed alive and well, it's not as though I'm fearful of danger on the high seas of coastal New England, but, I'd like to understand where I stand in this regard.

Best...CrushItLikeQuint

Keep an updated fishing license, tell them youre fishing for sharks. I have some friends who live in mass but typically fish out of maine, they usually bring an ar or 12g to kill the shark, last one they caught took 3 shots from the 12g to finish it.

Keep an updated fishing license, tell them youre fishing for sharks. I have some friends who live in mass but typically fish out of maine, they usually bring an ar or 12g to kill the shark, last one they caught took 3 shots from the 12g to finish it.
Besides the new BS recreational fishing license there is a special license required to fish "highly migratory species" ie sharks and tuna, etc: http://www.hmspermits.gov . CYA

Thanks guys for the input and advice---

What's the old story about the dude who went to the top of the mountain expecting to look down and see all the black lands and all the white lands but all he saw was grey-- figuring the nuances out isn't easy or for the feint of heart, is it?

Back
Top Bottom