Firearm on a Boat

Can you have a firearm on board a boat in MA waters?I have asked many and all give me the yes's or no's but no one can give me a real answer or show me where it is written either way. I have even contacted GOAL for clarification with no reponse. Does anyone know where it is written that you can or cannot carry on a boat in MA waters? Thank you all in advance.

There's an exclusion zone around Logan Airport and a few other areas that you need to stay away from on the water.

I'd be curious to hear why a person with an LTC can't carry on a boat.

From Handgunlaws.us:

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 0.000000%, 0.000000%)]Note: [/COLOR]So it looks to me like even if you have a Massachusetts Permit/License to Carry, even a NoRestrictions Permit/License, you can not carry when on an OHV. This would also include Snowmobiles.

(OHV= Off Highway Vehicle.)

I subscribed to this thread in hopes of getting to the bottom of this. I travel on a boat from the Mississippi gulf coast to MA. In states water where my FL License or MA LTC are recognized I keep the guns out of their locked case.

In states where my licenses aren't recognized I put the guns unloaded in a locked case and carry under FOPA.

Can you have a firearm on board a boat in MA waters?I have asked many and all give me the yes's or no's but no one can give me a real answer or show me where it is written either way. I have even contacted GOAL for clarification with no reponse. Does anyone know where it is written that you can or cannot carry on a boat in MA waters? Thank you all in advance.

You won't find anything written because there isn't anything written. And that's a good thing.

The way our legal system is structured, if its not prohibited, then its allowed.
Laws don't grant rights, they restrict them.

That means there are no restrictions with respect to carrying on a boat. Of course all laws also still apply.
So if you leave your boat unattended, storage laws apply. (at least in MA)

But other than that, there's nothing.

Don

p.s. Some may want to cite this law restricting possession of a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

one thing to keep in mind is that the laws use the term vessel not vehicle, when describing a boat.
But even if you take the absolute most conservative position, this law restricts the possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle. So the rifle or shotgun is fine, a loaded mag is fine, you just can't load it until you need it.

And of course, none of this applies to handguns assuming you have your LTC in MA.

Last edited:
From Handgunlaws.us:

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 0.000000%, 0.000000%)]Note: [/COLOR]So it looks to me like even if you have a Massachusetts Permit/License to Carry, even a NoRestrictions Permit/License, you can not carry when on an OHV. This would also include Snowmobiles.

(OHV= Off Highway Vehicle.)

I subscribed to this thread in hopes of getting to the bottom of this. I travel on a boat from the Mississippi gulf coast to MA. In states water where my FL License or MA LTC are recognized I keep the guns out of their locked case.

In states where my licenses aren't recognized I put the guns unloaded in a locked case and carry under FOPA.

Ive found that listing before, it refers to ATV's and things nothing about boats. That is also an outdates website. Solid reference site but they need to put some time into making it current again.

You won't find anything written because there isn't anything written. And that's a good thing.

The way our legal system is structured, if its not prohibited, then its allowed.
Laws don't grant rights, they restrict them.

That means there are no restrictions with respect to carrying on a boat. Of course all laws also still apply.
So if you leave your boat unattended, storage laws apply. (at least in MA)

But other than that, there's nothing.

Don

p.s. Some may want to cite this law restricting possession of a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

one thing to keep in mind is that the laws use the term vessel not vehicle, when describing a boat.
But even if you take the absolute most conservative position, this law restricts the possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle. So the firearm is fine, a loaded mag is fine, you just can't load it until you need it.

And of course, none of this applies to handguns.

i appreciate your response.
Makes sense, im just one of those people that likes to see it in black and white as much as possible.

i appreciate your response.
Makes sense, im just one of those people that likes to see it in black and white as much as possible.

I understand.

But i hope that you understand that you won't find it. Because laws don't exist saying what is LEGAL. They only list what is prohibited.
I can't prove a negative in that I can't show you a lack of a law. ;0

Don

Don't people duckhunt with boats?

The law regarding that is that you cannot fire a shot (or release an arrow if that's your thing) from a vessel that is moving under it's own power, or sail. If I'm tooling along in my little 8' hunting boat with the electric trolling motor and I scare up a duck, I must shut the motor off and wait until all movement actuated by that motor has ceased before I take a shot at the duck.

What about international waters? Isnt like >30 miles co sidered international

Is your boat registered in the US? (ie. flying a US flag or state registered?)If so, then Federal laws apply even in international waters (>12NM out to another nation's TTS). Serial numbers will be run for any firearm(s) present. Inside of state waters (baseline to 3NM or baseline to 9NM in the Gulf of Mexico), state laws apply

Because there are bad people outside your gated community . I intend to cruise up and down the East coast .anchoring in remote places . If someone decides to rob me while I'm sleeping down below . There's no 911 . You can give up your hard earned money and belongings or even your life , like a sheep . Or you can fight back . I'll fight

Short answer is in US territorial waters and International waters you absolutely can, you will be subject to US federal law if the boat is registered here and CG will check stuff out if they feel the need, but venture into another country's territorial waters and you are subject to their laws. Inside of MA state waters, lakes, rivers, and I believe inside 3nm, state law applies, if you have your FID/LTC and have an appropriate firearm to go with it you are fine.

Because there are bad people outside your gated community . I intend to cruise up and down the East coast .anchoring in remote places . If someone decides to rob me while I'm sleeping down below . There's no 911 . You can give up your hard earned money and belongings or even your life , like a sheep . Or you can fight back . I'll fight
You replied to my 7 year old post and managed to not even read the single sentence properly.

Best I can find in my archives:
549wqe.jpg

Although I swear I recently ran across a better one.

This is one of those "I never found where it was restricted so I put a flare launcher on my AR-15" things.

I now have the best signal device on the water, pirates beware, I'm the scourge of Vinyard Sound!

Back
Top Bottom