• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm @ Logan Airport ????

Quick question....

Is it considered within the law to enter and park my vehicle at Logan Airport with my firearm unloaded, with a trigger lock, in a lockbox, in the locked trunck of my car?

I contacted the State Police Troop F @ Logan Airport with this question in what I thought was an abundence of caution and the officer had a nutty on me - told me it was illegal to leave it unattended in this way while I traveled.

Am I crazy?

I don't believe it is technically illegal to leave it unattended in that way. But, it is not very wise. If someone else got a hold of it (i.e. car stolen, broken into, etc.) you can be held liable.

The 1998 anti-gun law made it crystal clear (to those LEOs who read it) that it is perfectly legal to store a gun, locked and unloaded in a car trunk at any time (unattended).

The wisdom of doing so in shopping center or Logan parking lots is questionable at best if you have other choices! These areas are riff for car burglaries or theft, and indeed if such were to happen, many chiefs will pull an LTC on "unsuitability" grounds, which is impossible (from a practical viewpoint) to fight.

Personally, I wouldn't do it! In fact, I'd strip the car before parking it long term at an airport, so I lose the least amount of stuff if it is stolen. I leave the garage door opener at home too! I'd also take the Registration with me so that they don't have a ready address of an unoccupied house (even if someone was still at home . . . that's worse) to rob.

I contacted the State Police Troop F @ Logan Airport with this question in what I thought was an abundence of caution and the officer had a nutty on me - told me it was illegal to leave it unattended in this way while I traveled.

Asking MSP @ logan any questions about guns is going to get the
guy on the other end of the line pulling a nutty on you. They
rarely have the "correct" answer and are typically harsh at
best...

To answer your question... yeah it is legal, but IMO it's a dumb
idea, not something I would do if I could avoid it.

-Mike

Response -Logan Airport

I would be leaving it in my car while I travel to DC for roughly 12-15 hours....

I'd also take the Registration with me so that they don't have a ready address of an unoccupied house

That is great thinking.

Wonder it the criminals are smart enough to put this together. Along with the garage door opener it is the whole package on a platter for them.

I would be leaving it in my car while I travel to DC for roughly 12-15 hours....

I'm going to assume you have a MA LTC. Is it worth the risk leaving it there on the chance it might be stolen. Do you have a gun case that you can lock it in and then have that attached to the vehicle in someway? I don't leave my firearm in my vehicle and I work there. I don't want to take the risk as my LTC was hard to get and I don't want to loose it.

Back
Top Bottom