Firearm license application in different towns

Hi folks, I am going to submit my LTC class A application soon but I have a question about which town I can legally apply to. My property spans two towns...I pay property taxes to both. Technically my residence is in a red town, however the piece of land which is in the other town (green town) does have an official street address but there is no structure on it.

I went down to the PD in the green town today and asked and the on duty officer said he thought that you have to apply in the town in which you reside. Before I submit the application in the red town I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with a situation like this. I feel like if I pay taxes to both towns I should be able to apply to whichever town I choose.

Thanks

--BL

What is on your driver's license and where do you vote? If both are the red town, probably SOL.

I think it's where your bedroom is - there's been a dispute lately in West Roxbury/Brookline for people who's property straddles the town line, as to which schools they can send their kids..

I think it's where your bedroom is - there's been a dispute lately in West Roxbury/Brookline for people who's property straddles the town line, as to which schools they can send their kids..

I agree that IF the OP has the option to use either school system then MAYBE he might have some discretion. If he DOESN'T have the option to use either school, he's pretty much stuck with the red town, which he admits is "technically" his residence.

But cities/towns generally look at which city/town the house is actually in and not just if your land crosses boundaries. Where Brookline got upset is people added additions to make them eligible to use Brookline schools, yet the majority of their taxes would go to Boston.

I agree that IF the OP has the option to use either school system then MAYBE he might have some discretion. If he DOESN'T have the option to use either school, he's pretty much stuck with the red town, which he admits is "technically" his residence.

But cities/towns generally look at which city/town the house is actually in and not just if your land crosses boundaries. Where Brookline got upset is people added additions to make them eligible to use Brookline schools, yet the majority of their taxes would go to Boston.

Yeah unfortunately the red town my only option then. It was a long shot but figured I'd ask. Thanks for all the replies.

ATF definitions of legal residence are less strict than other agencies like the IRS and school systems, but you do have to have an actual place to inhabit.

The ATF recently ruled that college students can be a resident of one place while at school, and a resident of their parents house while home, thus allowing them to get an in state license in 2 states. The IRS and school systems do not work this way.

Its all made more confusing by the fact that every town in MA has his own way of doing things, and his own perception of the laws.

Just put a mail box on the green town property,then change your mailing address. The mail goes to the new box along with
your LTC. Problem solved.

...................Jack

PS. I've got 2 mail boxes at my place also.

open up a landscaping buisness and park your trailer on the green side, with a mailing address to the green town.

you can apply in any town you own a buisness in.

(not sure if landscaping is considered a buisness)

open up a landscaping buisness and park your trailer on the green side, with a mailing address to the green town.

That might pass muster. Early Morning Jobs, easily resold equipment worth some money, someone may be stupid enough to kill over that.

Just put a mail box on the green town property,then change your mailing address. The mail goes to the new box along with your LTC. Problem solved. ...................Jack PS. I've got 2 mail boxes at my place also.
This was going to be my suggestion. Hell maybe build a rental property.

Technically I can't see a problem with this. Except zoning laws. Because landscaping is a real business, or at least I hope it is as I work for a landscape business.

That might pass muster. Early Morning Jobs, easily resold equipment worth some money, someone may be stupid enough to kill over that.

Our landscape equipment is pricey, and incredibly easy to steal. It takes some effort to convince guys they need to lock up trucks, and lock trailers onto the trucks. Snag a landscape trailer and you might make 10k-20k. I'm surprised it isn't an epidemic.

Is the legal address, where the house is located or where the driveway connects to a public thoroughfare (i.e. your street address)?

Is the legal address, where the house is located or where the driveway connects to a public thoroughfare (i.e. your street address)?

House.

I was asked to serve eviction papers on someone. Had to call the PD to find the house. House number doesn't exist on the street as an Interstate Highway cut thru the street many years ago. So they cut the driveway to the rear onto a street in another town (legal address for US Mail). Property is in both towns, thus RE taxes due to both based on what is in the particular town. It was a legal mess and I refused to do the eviction or serve any additional paper there (to complicate matters, the Owner who was supposedly being evicted didn't live there, he rented it to an innocent who was being evicted by the bank that was foreclosing on the property)! [Ethically I didn't want to hand over the tenant's goods to a mover/storage company in the name of the house owner, therefore the real owner of goods had no way to even re-claim his property . . . resulting in a situation like the firearms bonded warehouse fiasco (where the owner never gets his goods back). I just couldn't do that to some innocent person who is paying rent to a deadbeat landlord!]

Back
Top Bottom