• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearm checking

Guys,

I went in to shoot the other day, now that we finally don't have to wait 45 minutes because you oversold your memberships, and was told by the staff member that he had to check the caliber of all my firearms.

I can read; I can see what you have posted at the range and on your website as allowed calibers. What's with treating members like children while causing safety issues due to having to clear firearms at the counter?

Someone brought an AR in and was shooting .223 down the range. I agree that checking them at the counter is stupid...but thats what happens when ONE idiot ruins it for EVERYONE. Apparently not EVERYONE can read what the sign says.

Someone brought an AR in and was shooting .223 down the range. I agree that checking them at the counter is stupid...but thats what happens when ONE idiot ruins it for EVERYONE. Apparently not EVERYONE can read what the sign says.

True, apparently not everyone can read it, but why should that be allowed to mess it up for everyone else? One bad apple went on a rampage in CT, in CO, etc. Why should that ruin gun ownership for the rest of us? I know MFS has a business to run, but emulating Congress is probably not the best way to do it...

If they insist on this, I'll treat them the same way I'll be treating the MA legislature...I'll deny them my $$

We have had members attempt to shoot prohibited calibers on several occasions. Because of this, we now must personally inspect all firearms before they enter the ranges. It is unfortunate, but it is just the way it is.

True, apparently not everyone can read it, but why should that be allowed to mess it up for everyone else? One bad apple went on a rampage in CT, in CO, etc. Why should that ruin gun ownership for the rest of us? I know MFS has a business to run, but emulating Congress is probably not the best way to do it...

If they insist on this, I'll treat them the same way I'll be treating the MA legislature...I'll deny them my $$

I disagree with your comparison.

The proposed laws in CT and other states are over reactions that will not make anyone safer.

Our policy answers a specific problem and will make everyone safer. If you ended up getting hit with a ricochet caused by a prohibited caliber something tells me you might change your perspective.

I don't think anyone @ MFS is "ruining gun ownership" by taking steps to enforce certain safety rules. Comparing some idiot shooting holes in the backstop at a private range to lunatics slaughtering innocents is just asinine.

On a side note...if MFS had a rifle range none of this would occur *wink wink*. For the amount of memberships they are selling and the price they are selling them at I would think this would get accomplished sooner. I became a member back in the beginning of January and was told rifle lanes were less than a month away. Every time Ive asked since then its been a date further and further in the future. I know MFS reads and replies to this forum alot so they should know that this is not just my opinion. Alot of us have rifles and we want to shoot them.

PS. When I signed up I did it under the assumption I would soon be able to shoot my rifles there. If a year goes by and my membership is up and there are no rifle lanes my membership will be going elsewhere. Thats not a knock on MFS its just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I responded back last night, but the forums seem to have eaten my post.

TBalls, to be clear, I was not stating that MFS was ruining gun ownership. I was making the comparison that because one @sshole did wrong, that people were overreacting and penalizing everyone for the wrongdoing of one. I used the monster in CT as an example. I could have been clearer, but you could also have been less of a cock with your reply.

To whomever replies for MFS on here:
I joined last year, and for the first few months it was great; the staff were few and well trained, and you could walk right in and shoot at anytime. Then MFS decided to oversell it's memberships and wait times were absolutely ridiculous, and they brought on a bunch of new folks to deal with that. Now that you finally were able to open additional lanes, times have dropped. Now there is this new and dangerous policy of checking firearms? You check them right in the open at the counter; that's hardly a safe place to check a loaded firearm. I don't want a stranger touching my guns, and that certainly was not what I paid good money for months ago before you put this new policy in.

MFS is members only; educate your members. If a member fires a "prohibited caliber", warn them or kick them out as you see fit. It is a private business. Don't feel that you have the right to coon-finger MY firearms because someone else did a "no-no".

Okay so you guys are talking about MFS and didn't they just have that range built? So what is the logic in a company, that sells firearms and training for those firearms, to not make their range capable of accepting the most popular rifle caliber in the US now! That would be like a defensive driving school with their own track not letting students drive faster than 25mph. Way to help the cause that the AR can be a proper home defense/sport gun. Just seems pretty stupid but this is ma I guess.

Charles.

... You check them right in the open at the counter; that's hardly a safe place to check a loaded firearm.

Why would your firearm be loaded before you even get to the range? Sounds like that is where the safety issue would come in.

[To whomever replies for MFS on here:
I joined last year, and for the first few months it was great; the staff were few and well trained, and you could walk right in and shoot at anytime. Then MFS decided to oversell it's memberships and wait times were absolutely ridiculous, and they brought on a bunch of new folks to deal with that. Now that you finally were able to open additional lanes, times have dropped. Now there is this new and dangerous policy of checking firearms? You check them right in the open at the counter; that's hardly a safe place to check a loaded firearm. I don't want a stranger touching my guns, and that certainly was not what I paid good money for months ago before you put this new policy in.

MFS is members only; educate your members. If a member fires a "prohibited caliber", warn them or kick them out as you see fit. It is a private business. Don't feel that you have the right to coon-finger MY firearms because someone else did a "no-no".[/QUOTE]

I have been looking at different ranges and have been considering this one. this is the type of info that is helpful. moving on.

I have been looking at different ranges and have been considering this one. this is the type of info that is helpful. moving on.

Happy to provide a review. Depends on what you're looking for, but both Southborough and Holliston are worth looking at. They don't offer the firearm rentals that seems to be MFS' selling point, but they also have rifle/shotgun ranges and 24/7 indoor ranges for members. As a bonus, they're less condescending to their membership too!

If you want a tour of the Southborough club, PM me and we can arrange something.

A problem is that even a single round from the wrong caliber can damage the backstop - as, as a matter of practicality, it would be all but impossible for MFS to extract payment for the damages if the shooter did not choose to voluntarily pay.

But, someone who would violate the rule might also produce an uninspected gun from their range bag once inside. No foolproof solution.

Yet another gun club option is Hopkinton Sportsmens. The advantage of the gun clubs is 24x7 and a "membership" rather than "customer" relationship with the facility, however, there are downsides as well - gun club ranges tend to be grubbier than the state of the are ones at MFS, plus they actually expect you to help out.

To those making smart comments about holstering a rifle, the OP clearly said:

and was told by the staff member that he had to check the caliber of all my firearms.

Seems clear from that, and he has confirmed, that all means all, not just rifles. Reading comprehension is your friend, at least before snarking at other people's offered explanations.

To those making smart comments about holstering a rifle, the OP clearly said:

Seems clear from that, and he has confirmed, that all means all, not just rifles. Reading comprehension is your friend, at least before snarking at other people's offered explanations.

There are no restrictions on pistol calibers, That's why they were checking rifles, to make sure they are pistol caliber.

There are no restrictions on pistol calibers, That's why they were checking rifles, to make sure they are pistol caliber.

They checked my two handguns I had with me. If they are concerned about rifles then they should be specific. Also for everyone who is complaining about them checking a loaded pistol, I have never in my life handed over an uncleared weapon. If you are haning over a weapon that is loaded that in itself is an unsafe act. I do agree that they need a weapons clearing area if they are going to check weapons.

They are checking pistols. I came in with an LCR and a 1911 and was told both had to be inspected, because not all pistol calibers were allowed. The LCR was so suspicious, that the clerk spend a good 45 seconds making sure it couldn't hold .44 magnum or higher....

They checked my two handguns I had with me. If they are concerned about rifles then they should be specific. Also for everyone who is complaining about them checking a loaded pistol, I have never in my life handed over an uncleared weapon. If you are haning over a weapon that is loaded that in itself is an unsafe act. I do agree that they need a weapons clearing area if they are going to check weapons.

The "complaint" about checking a loaded pistol is that it must be first unholstered, and then cleared at a retail counter, before being handed over to a stranger. That is a safety risk that can be avoided by not requiring the checks, or having a separate area as you suggest. No one suggested that you hand over a loaded weapon; try reading again.

The "complaint" about checking a loaded pistol is that it must be first unholstered, and then cleared at a retail counter, before being handed over to a stranger. That is a safety risk that can be avoided by not requiring the checks, or having a separate area as you suggest. No one suggested that you hand over a loaded weapon; try reading again.

So you would be okay with the checks if you had a safe place to unholster and clear your weapon for the inspection? I got confused when you said
You check them right in the open at the counter; that's hardly a safe place to check a loaded firearm.

Last edited:
So you would be okay witht eh checks if you had a safe place to unholster and clear your weapon for the inspection? I got confused when you said

I'm not sure what's confusing you in my post that you quoted; if you can give me more details, I'm happy to clarify! In summary, I am not ok with any type of inspection of my guns end of story. On top of that, the policy feels half-assed as there is no sort of "safe" area to clear a loaded handgun before handing it over. They're trying to prevent an unsafe situation (overshoot) and creating another unsafe situation (loaded firearms being drawn in the lobby) in the process. Plus I don't like being treated like a wrong doer when I'm not the one who shot the firearm that was a higher-caliber than the range was rated for. Make sense?

It would be easier, faster, and safer to ask the customer/member what caliber they are shooting for safety reasons. Visually inspecting each firearm is basically telling your paying customers/members you don't trust them.

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I am currently in the New Hampshire wilderness on a trip. I will do my best to write a response to this thread from my iPhone.

1. I was unaware that loaded guns were being cleared in the lobby. We will do our best to take steps to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

2. We are inspecting all firearms before they go into either of the ranges. We first tried asking members what calibers they were planning to shoot. However, after several incidents we were forced to change policy and personally check every firearm. We are particularly concerned with shotgun ammunition other than 00 buck...rifle calibers...and handguns that shoot prohibited calibers. We have decided that the best course of action is to check the firearms. Even if we were to ban all long guns from the facility, it would not protect the range from people shooting prohibited handgun calibers.

We currently run the best gun range program in the country. The inspection program policy protects our members and insurers that Mfs will continue to be able to offer outstanding range programs.

Earlier in the thread someone wondered why our new range is not rifle caliber rated. The answer to this question simply comes down to the available space that we had to build the new range. A rifle rated backstop requires at least 25 feet for the backstop area. We only had 5 feet available to work with.

We are planning on building additional rifle ranges for our members. We certainly do not want to jeopardize these future projects because of a few irresponsible people.

Earlier in the thread an opinion was expressed that we oversold memberships. It is true that our membership program grew faster than we had expected. This was due to both the increased interest in shooting sports of recent months and our inability to complete the new range construction sooner. We are thankful those issues are now in the past.

Back
Top Bottom