• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fire Starters

I just tried this myself and it works with 100% success. It cost me a total of three dollars at the dollar tree. And i did try it with the flint!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCni8yLXR3w

Nice. I've done the makeup pads with vaseline rubbed into them (really quick & almost zero cleanup). Those work with flame for sure, I've done that, but I'll have to try it with the ferro rod.

yeah, so that is pretty cool.

I make mine out of dryer lint, cardboard egg cartons and wax. I just made a couple out of a dunking donuts cup holder, you know those cardboard trays they give you for four coffees.

They are huge and will probably burn for about 20 minutes, way long enough to start a fire.

Not super impressed with him dipping it in water and then lighting it. The water will never soak into the wax infused material.

So not impressed but it is a good thing to have and to know and they are much skinnier than the egg cartons so I will definitely make several hundred of those. They take up almost no room so they are perfect for a bug out bag or a hike or camping or hunting.

I like it and I will make some.

these are the dunkin cardboard coffee tray. I used masking tape on the bottom so the wax didn’t leak out during the pour.
1613843025032.jpeg

1613843147095.jpeg

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed watching contestants on shows like Alone struggle to start a fire in the real world, not their back yard on a sunny summers day.
Everyone forgets that even in wet conditions your underwear is likely dry. If the choice is fire or suffer, cut a hole in your BVD's and pull the fabric apart.
That will get the first critical fire going and then you can dry material in case you let it go out, which is pretty stupid.

yeah, so that is pretty cool.

I make mine out of dryer lint, cardboard egg cartons and wax. I just made a couple out of a dunking donuts cup holder, you know those cardboard trays they give you for four coffees.

They are huge and will probably burn for about 20 minutes, way long enough to start a fire.

Not super impressed with him dipping it in water and then lighting it. The water will never soak into the wax infused material.

So not impressed but it is a good thing to have and to know and they are much skinnier than the egg cartons so I will definitely make several hundred of those. They take up almost no room so they are perfect for a bug out bag or a hike or camping or hunting.

I like it and I will make some.

these are the dunkin cardboard coffee tray. I used masking tape on the bottom so the wax didn’t leak out during the pour.
View attachment 452504

View attachment 452508
I do this but with egg cartons. I bet they burn for between 5 and 10 minutes. Lately I've gotten lazy and just use birch bark because where I spend most of my time you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a birch tree.

I do this but with egg cartons. I bet they burn for between 5 and 10 minutes. Lately I've gotten lazy and just use birch bark because where I spend most of my time you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a birch tree.
I usually do the egg cartons too. Daughter brought this home one day and I decided to make giant starters.

The egg cartons work fantastic though no doubt.

I am going to make some of the starter demonstrated in the video too.

No love for the bow drill [laugh]
That method is a circus trick.
It won't work when you really need it.

After finally learning to create a coal and get a fire going with a bow and drill, I made doubly sure to have extra lighters, tinder and ferro rods in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line gear at all times.

(Stop trolling me Kurt! ;) )

Back
Top Bottom