Fire starter.

Lol. I bought a pair of 3/4" ferro rods from Nathan a couple of months ago. They are super sparky, but super bulky.
Material is top notch, not the Chinese crap...

Quick search on Amazon shows a TON of options. With some of the results being the same size as on ebray, but for less $$.

AS for being on "naked and afraid"... Is that your condition and that of all creatures within a 10 mile radius?? [rofl2]

Where in the hell are you going to store a 1 inch by 6 inch ferro rod if your on Naked and Afraid?

Tried the link. Nothing.
Use the link in Post 6: nathan4071 | eBay

Which one would you buy nathan4071 | eBay

I have a custom sliding two-piece aluminum custom made in the 80's by MSgt "Rocky" Mullen. It takes standard rod for refills.

I don't like the two-piece ones where one stores inside the other and can be dropped. I like the ones that just have a handle and lanyard better than two piece. If I needed to buy any I would buy Nathan's based on youtube and reviews what I have read and watched. I have seen some rods that just do not seem to spark well and I can't explain it.

Matt

Last edited:
Is a bic not good?
Duct tape the bic to the end of the ferro rod. Jungle style. Sorta like this:

iu

I grabbed the 1/2" x 6 last time I bought. They're far nicer/more stable to hold.
Got them on Amazon and have had absolutely no complaints with the spark they throw.

I've been getting my ferro rods since forever from Going Gear. Always great quality. Survival - Going Gear

I just checked the link you posted for Nathan on ebay. He has really good prices if the quality is as good as you say. Definitely worth a check.

I standardized on 3/8 x typically 5 or 6 inches so all my sheaths are made to the same spec. I find the 3/8 is more than enough and the length is the key. On some I add a handle or drill a hole to add paracord. This cord actually has glow-in-dark fibers that I made for one of my son's set-ups.

Ve0FAmr.jpg

04H3PvK.jpg

Last edited:
n some I add a handle or drill a hole to add paracord.

I was going to use paracord, but decided to use jute because of its tinder properties. 550 def. looks better though. Nice work.
~Matt

You could always use Fire Cord.

Now that is innovative. I've been toying with soaking cotton sash cord in potassium nitrate to make slow match cord to use as a lanyard...

If you haven’t tried the Vaseline soaked cotton balls or even flat cotton pads, give it a shot. I keep a one quart ziplock bag filled with them in my ruck. The whole bag presses down flat is still very lightweight.

I did a timed comparison of soaked vs non soaked (just dry cotton ball) and the difference is substantial.

Dry cotton (tinder) burnt quickly and had burnt itself out completely in under 2 minutes.

The Vaseline covered cotton burnt steady and hot for almost 5mins straight, greatly helping to get a fire started in windy or wet conditions.

I have a roll of magnesium ribbon that should be good too. I'll have to do some tests with ways to get it to ignite, but I believe it won't take much to get it going. Of course, I also have a container of mixed aluminum and iron oxide dust to make things more interesting... :)

If you haven’t tried the Vaseline soaked cotton balls or even flat cotton pads, give it a shot. I keep a one quart ziplock bag filled with them in my ruck. The whole bag presses down flat is still very lightweight.

I did a timed comparison of soaked vs non soaked (just dry cotton ball) and the difference is substantial.

Dry cotton (tinder) burnt quickly and had burnt itself out completely in under 2 minutes.

The Vaseline covered cotton burnt steady and hot for almost 5mins straight, greatly helping to get a fire started in windy or wet conditions.

Combine with this, great for wet starting..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQcAfwpETw

I've been getting my ferro rods since forever from Going Gear. Always great quality. Survival - Going Gear

I just checked the link you posted for Nathan on ebay. He has really good prices if the quality is as good as you say. Definitely worth a check.

I standardized on 3/8 x typically 5 or 6 inches so all my sheaths are made to the same spec. I find the 3/8 is more than enough and the length is the key. On some I add a handle or drill a hole to add paracord. This cord actually has glow-in-dark fibers that I made for one of my son's set-ups.

Ve0FAmr.jpg

04H3PvK.jpg

REALLY like your son's knife and holster. What are they?

Also props to OP- great thread. I ordered a 1/2" drilled ferro rod.

Now that is innovative. I've been toying with soaking cotton sash cord in potassium nitrate to make slow match cord to use as a lanyard...

If you use it as a lanyard it will irritate the hell out of your skin, especially where ever it's moist with sweat. It will also act on any metal surfaces it touches and induce rusting.....it's an oxidizer.

If you are going to make it, put it in a heavy mil ziplock parts bag and cut it up in short lengths and use them as needed.

If you use it as a lanyard it will irritate the hell out of your skin

I considered that, but in my case, I would not be using it in the classic lanyard style, but would instead use it as a tether for quick access to my tinder.

Back
Top Bottom