1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Fire breaks out at historic Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Apr 15, 2019.

1. wilson911

wilson911

Really? You should get out more. Start with the Palace at Versailles, maybe the Pantheon and the the Flavian Amphitheatre. Or the Great Wall, the Kremlin or the Chrysler Building. There is plenty of non-christian architecture that transcends this world.

2. Waher

Waher NES Member

Boston City Hall is beautiful! [pot]

Libraries, train stations, theatres, banks, courthouses, state capitols, other civic buildings sometimes were grand and beautiful. Unfortunately after WW1 and by the start of WW2 society's appreciation, expectation, and execution of beautiful spaces became lacking. The cheap or the utilitarian became vogue. The decline of art and artifice in the public realm has many causes: part of it was commies trying to erase culture & history to make it easier to take over, economic conditions of the Great Depression making it not a priority to provide artifice in everything, capitalists making things cheaper to be available to more people, a dissatisfaction with civilization post WW1, the rapid pace of 'new' things making it less likely to invest in artifice or long term construction because tastes would change or become obsolete, etc but the end result is the fairly ugly world we live in today.

Look at Victorian tools. The highest quality ones were forged and then engraved to make them more beautiful. I've taken apart old bicycles and machine tools to find wonderful maker's marks and etchings that no end user would ever see, but the companies back then thought it important enough that their parts in a bin beautifully displayed their company pride. It used to be an expectation, now it's not really a priority to bring artifice into everything possible.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Penniepup1 and Mike Stanton like this.
  3. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

It is indeed a classic example of mid century brutalist architecture.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  4. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

The Armenian National Committee of America posted this on their Facebook page.
    FB_IMG_1555377160931.jpg

I'm not Armenian, but I would say I'm on their side.
    I started following this page after Erdogan's thug bodyguards literally ran from Erdogan's limo at the White House to beat up Armenian American protesters a couple of years ago.

mibro and crazymjb like this.
  5. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    About the decline of beautiful buildings: A big part is that, back in the day, the raw materials were the expensive part, and the artisans' time to perfect and carve and beautify it was a smaller percentage.

Now, it's the other way around. Making a modern building look like an old one, will raise the price to the stratosphere.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

xtry51, headednorth and mibro like this.
  6. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

If anyone needed an example of what the Grug meme is.........∆

7. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

Attached Files:

tuna likes this.
  8. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

That building is to Notre Dame as the Legos movies are to pieces of real cinematic art.

mibro likes this.
  9. Waher

Waher NES Member

CNC machines, injection molding, and 3d printing have made it so that shouldn't be the case. It's just that the industry doesn't provide such things because the majority of developers and their architects aren't asking for it. The economy of scale which should exist to make artifice cheaper than ever doesn't because those tastes aren't in demand.

10. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

How much to rebuild? A billionaire's son wants to help.

One of France’s richest families promptly stepped up to calls from the country’s president to help rebuild the Cathedral of Notre Dame and pledged about $113 million to restore the gutted Paris icon.

“My father and I have decided to release immediately from the funds of Artemis a sum of 100 million euros to participate in the effort that will be necessary for the complete reconstruction of Notre Dame,” François-Henri Pinault said in a statement quoted by Le Figaro and other French news outlets.

The younger Mr. Pinault is the chairman and CEO of the Kering group, which controls such luxury-goods brands as Gucci and Saint Laurent. He also is president of Groupe Artemis, the French holding company that owns Christie’s auction house.

As the fire died down Monday evening at the centuries-old landmark, French President Emmanuel Macron pledged a national fundraising campaign.

View: https://twitter.com/PlummerWilliam/status/1117928178218078208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1117928178218078208&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtontimes.com%2Fnews%2F2019%2Fapr%2F15%2Ffrancois-henri-pinault-father-pledge-100-million-e%2F

xtry51 and The5thDentist like this.
  11. TLB

TLB

What I was referring to was that that feeling is there independent of religion for me.

12. Bfatz

Bfatz

13. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Even if the durkas didn't do it, I can see them blaming Macron for it somehow, and just pissing them off even more regardless.... even if it was just some dude that was welding and caught the whole thing on fire....

14. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

LoL! The Chrysler building? Are you joking? It’s a super nice modern building but comparing it to Notre Dame? Put down the pipe. I’ll give you points for Versailles but the rest, swing and a miss compared to ND.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  15. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

The Twin Towers and Pentagon sent us into a soon to be decades old war.

Buildings that were built WWII and 1970’s. Not forgetting the thousands dead, but everyone in New York talked about the skyline and Bush about knocking these buildings down.

Notre Dame was in existence before the Ming Dynasty was founded. It’s that old and a historical part of France engrained since before the Hundred Years War.

If indeed the fire started in multiple locations / stand back and be ready for collateral attacks here when the French lose their minds.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  16. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

CNN has identified the Arsonist:

[​IMG]

17. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Boston City Hall is a POS.

silversquirrel likes this.
  18. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

They will NEVER do what is necessary to reclaim their soul.

NEVER.

19. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Part of the reason that old buildings are respected/revered is that they've survived...not just the ages, but people respecting them enough over the years to not trash them, or tear them down. If the Chrysler building is still around in 300 years, then, yes, it can be considered iconic. Time will tell.

It's kind of like modern/contemporary art....if it's still on walls 200 years from now, then it should be considered real art. Remember: for every classic sculpture, painting, etc. that's considered a True Work of Art, there are piles of stuff that was sculptured, painted, etc., and trashed. Bob Ross and his happy trees may look nice on a wall, but it's nothing in comparison to this

[​IMG]

Or even the batsh!t wonderfulness of Hieronymus Bosch

[​IMG]

The other thing is that modern buildings are built with a finite life span figured in. Old buildings were of the Buy (build) Once, Cry Once theory. Next time you go under one of the old railroad bridges (you know, massive girders on a couple of humongous ashlar piles), think about the fact that it will still be there 100 or 200 years from now, and the construction of today, in the same venue would have the concrete spalling within 15 years, and be obsolete in 30.

I don't often get to use "ashlar" in daily communications, so thanks!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsaG8rJGlyQ

xtry51 and Mike Stanton like this.
  20. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

You actually think the examples you have given exceed this:

[​IMG]

But then I'm a deplorable - smelly Walmart person.

21. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

Inside AND out

Mike Stanton likes this.
  22. fencer

fencer NES Member

I'll take " damnable level of incompetence in France" for 1000, Alex.

Picton likes this.
  23. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Sort of points the finger towards the durkhas - doesn't it? :

1) the workers who were refurbishing the roof of Notre-Dame are among the best specialized craftsmen in the world, concerning the restauration of medieval monuments (their title is “Meilleur Ouvrier de France”).They love their work, and take all the necessary precautions. They have worked in many rooms of the Castle of Versailles, they have restored many churches and cathedrals. For example, they worked during more than 20 years on the marvelous Strasbourg cathedral (I lived in Strasbourg and saw their progress), and there was never a single problem.
    2) the workers stopped at 6:00 PM, the fire started at 6:50 PM, near scaffoldings, used to climb there.
    3) no electricity was allowed near the roof, because it was made in wood and as a matter of security, every inflamable thing was banned too. So, to have a fire there, someone needed to bring something.
    Best regards,
    Maxime

Mike Stanton likes this.
  24. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

25. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

I've got a hunch that he will be back.

26. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

I'll agree Notre Dame isn't a secular thing, quite like the pyramid's are no longer secular. Now its just holy crap how the hell can some one do that. Regardless of everything else

Mike Stanton likes this.
  27. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

28. richc

richc NES Member

Anyone here familiar with the construction of the this cathedral? Obviously stone. Was some sort of cement used to bind the stones?

My real question is what has that huge level of heat done to the remaining structure? How would heat impact it? Can it be used as is or will it require massive reconstruction?

I'm wondering if they'll need to dismantle the entire structure, stone by stone, and rebuild? I'm imagining that would be a decade or more of work.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  29. jpk

jpk

Agree 100%

I also wouldnt put it past the macron administration to start the fire/destroy the cathedral to shift focus away from the yellow vest protests

headednorth likes this.
  30. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

...or even a YV faction to false-flag the durkas.

If it turns out to have had help (which is sounding more and more likely) we cannot simply assume durkas. Have any of them "claimed responsibility" as of yet?

Mike Stanton likes this.