Fire at Sturm Ruger.

Couldn't use water...... That means there was Sodium or a sodium compound in those pots.

Good communication by the company if the FD knew AHEAD of time that there were areas where water was not allowed.

A few years back a number of Newton MA firefighters went to a box alarm at a factory and started laying hose.... quite a few of them got really really messed up, disfigured for life messed up. A high price to pay for lack of communication.

Couldn't use water...... That means there was Sodium or a sodium compound in those pots.

Good communication by the company if the FD knew AHEAD of time that there were areas where water was not allowed.

A few years back a number of Newton MA firefighters went to a box alarm at a factory and started laying hose.... quite a few of them got really really messed up, disfigured for life messed up. A high price to pay for lack of communication.

Water flashing to steam would more than likely be the reason although sodium etc. has to be a factor as well I guess. From what I have seen of steam explosions, there would be a pile of brick and steel.[shocked]

Most likely they couldnt use water because water and molten metal (any type) means steam explosion. I worked in a newspaper with hot lead type and we had a water leak form a bad roof into a small lead melting pot.
The steam explosion blew the corner of the building out. This was a small 100lb kettle. Now times that by what a casting co. like Ruger has and you get the Idea.

Back
Top Bottom