• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finn Mosins and 7.62x53r?

SKS Ray

NES Member
Theres been a lot of debate when it comes to Finn Mosins and whether or not the bores are ok for 7.62x54r ammo or if they should be shot with 7.62x53r ammo. I know the Finns rechambered a lot of captured Mosin rifles for 7.62x54r and I'm pretty sure I remember reading thats what the D stamp on them indicates. Its rare to see one without the D stamp but I know they're out there because I've seen a few here and there.
Recently someone on another forum asked about shooting standard surplus 7.62x54r in M39s and whether or not it would cause barrel wear. I had no answer so I figured I'd check here to see if anyone knows the myth on this subject.
I know a good number of Finn Mosin shooters recomend slugging the bore and loading accordingly after getting bullet diameter. Some use Finn conponents like Lapua brass and bullets for ultimate accuracy out of their M39s. .308 instead of .311 I think. I don't know much about reloading or bullet info.
I've always shot 7.62x54r ammo out of my Finn rifles and had no problems. Anyone have info on this?

The "D" means the bullet diameter. Isn't the 7.62x54r and 7.62x53r the samey same thing? The 53 and 54 is the case length but i think its the same thing.

From what I've read the 7.62x53 has a slightly shorter case and the bullet is .308 where as the 7.62x54 has a .311 bullet. Finish ammo is for Mosin rifles use a .308 bullet.

My "Cartridges of the world" 5th Editon lists the Mosin Nagant in 7.62X54R as having a bullet diameter of .310.

It states that .308 (30.06) bullets can be reloaded in the round though accuracy may be effected because of bullet weight.

I'm sure there were some variances in tolerances of bores but it doesn't mention any difference in casing dimensions.

form another forum:

What brings this up is that the Finns rifled and chambered their rifles for .308 diameter bullets up to WWII. At that time, they saw the problem with Russia coming and switched over to a .310-.311 groove and bullet diameter so the rifles would function with captured Russian ammunition. Many of the older rifles were rebarreled to the new dimension and some were merely opened up in the neck. This one has a .311 groove diameter and shoots .303 caliber bullets quite well. Nowadays in Europe, the .308 diameter round is designated "x 53R" and the .311 diameter round is designated "x 54R." In the U.S. the terms are interchanged freely, so slugging the barrel of your Mosin is in order.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=4507&FORUM_ID=15

I have not found any info that would suggest that there is a safety issue firing the larger bullets through a Finn, but accuracy would be a concern.
One of the references that I found suggested that the .308 bored Finn rifles also had the neck of the chamber tapered down to the smaller size. This makes me wonder if the sticky extraction with some types of milsurp ball ammo is somehow related to the tight neck dimensions.

One of the references that I found suggested that the .308 bored Finn rifles also had the neck of the chamber tapered down to the smaller size. This makes me wonder if the sticky extraction with some types of milsurp ball ammo is somehow related to the tight neck dimensions.

Thats an interesting thought. I do have a New England Westinghouse M91 that will only chamber certain types of 7.62x54, Czech Silver Tip being one of the few rounds that will chamber. On the other hand most of my Finn rifles have no problems with Mosin sticky bolt syndrome. [thinking]

Either way its just another reason why I guess I really should get into reloading.

Either way its just another reason why I guess I really should get into reloading.

Despite the tendency of many folks to want to start with a selfindexing ammo factory, it is possible to get started reloading a couple of rifle calibers with a single station press and a powder scale. Just about everything else that you need can be homemade or adapted.
There is something very satisfying about loading a couple of boxes of rifle cartridges on simple equipment, one at a time.[grin]

Is the US manufactured mosins in 308" diameter bore?

My only sticky bolt problem with my M39 was a dirty chamber.

Last edited:
OK, here's the deal. The correct name would be 7.62x53.5R, but they don't use decimals, do they?

Originally, the case was a tiny bit longer, enough to call 54mm, later it was shortened, enough to call 53mm, but the 54 stuck, except for Lapua ammo and brass. Everybody else (including Norma) calls it 7.62x54R.

You can shoot .310 Milsurp in your Finn. I'd wager you have an M39, and they should be .309". I've got 2 Finns, an M24 and an M28. THat M24 has a Swiss (SIG) barrel, and was likely .308 or so when new. I've shot Albanian and other .310" ammo through it, no problems.

Mosins are a lot stronger than they get credit for.

I know accuracy is probably with .308 in older Finn barrels, but what about barrel wear when shooting bullets with a slightly larger diameter than what the barrel was meant for?

I know accuracy is probably with .308 in older Finn barrels, but what about barrel wear when shooting bullets with a slightly larger diameter than what the barrel was meant for?
Im going to gander your not going to put enough rounds through the rifle to worry about barrel wear?
Now as far as chamber cuts , There may be some barrel chambers cut with “tighter” leads and the heavier 54r bullet/profile might get into the lands….
Im doubt full as these are battle rifles and Im sure the Finns where thinking they might use “54r” if they ever needed to.
Some debate the steel jackets are harder than the other materials used in surplus war ammo.

I will add also if your worried about barrel wear
Pick up some lapua ammo
At one point they had some 762x53r with 123 gn bullet.

I just got an m28. The label said 7.62x53R but I'm thinking about just trying 54R since they're so similar.

This thread:
die sissy spacek GIF by HULU

Back
Top Bottom