• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finished my 1911, classic GI

got tired of building AKs and ARs and decided to give this one a go.

basic GI-style gun, just refined whenever possible. not a kit-gun.
i used 1911forum classifieds to scrounge cheap take-offs.

only thing i bought new/full price was a frame - 1911 classic by Fusion and fire control group parts.

i think it came out nice. trigger is smooth like a silk and about 2-2.5 pounds. reset is short, crisp and positive. take up is about 3mm long and virtually zero overtravel.

finish is GI-style well-aged zinc phosphate. i went for most authentic look possible. i will switch thumb safety to short-shelf early style to match wide-spur hammer as soon as i find one for good price.

SAM_1709.jpg

SAM_1710.jpg

SAM_1711.jpg

SAM_1714.jpg

SAM_1715.jpg

SAM_1717.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you have to "modify" any of the parts to get them to fit or did everything drop into place for you? If you had to modify, did you use a dremel or something similar?

Thanks guys!

What's with the rubber gloves? You afraid your gonna get the bug to build another one?

lol, it's been oiled and i didn't want to touch my new camera with oily hands. already have a second frame (sti) to build 21st century version. all tricked out etc... about 75% of parts have been sourced, just waiting to come across nice threaded barrel goodness and few odds and ends, like mag-catch, plunger tube recoil rod and plug. i want to make next one three-tone with a black cerakote frame plum slide, c-tech ruby-red grips, all topped off with mirror polish stainless fire controls as accents.

Very nice! Did you have to "modify" any of the parts to get them to fit or did everything drop into place for you? If you had to modify, did you use a dremel or something similar?

few things were bought oversized and some others were take-offs that dropped-in without fitting. i used dremmel to blend and shape thumb and grip safety, polish feed ramp and barrel. needed to relieve extractor a bit, trim ejector, trim rails height and width for a tight slide fit. i used stones for sear, disconnector and hammer engagement surfaces.

Looks great. I thought the hammer looked cool.

yeah that's what original wide-spur 1911 hammer looked like before they changed it to narrow for easy of production and cheapness.

Back
Top Bottom