• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finished my 10/22

This thread is also on rimfirecentral but I figured I'd post it here as well

I started this build a long time ago (March 08) and never finished. Recently a friend picked up a 10/22 so I had to finish mine to stay on par with him.

I'm not sure what to think about my stock. Sometimes I think it's horribly ugly, sometimes I think it's ok so I am looking for opinions. I'm considering scrapping it and just buying a thumbhole stock.

The specs:
A really old 10/22 I picked up at a show.
Auto bolt modification
Bolt Chamfer
Takedown screw pillar
Power Custom competition hammer
Rimfire Tech adjustable sear kit
shockstop bolt buffer
VCL exact edge extractor
Meuller APV scope
Weaver scope mount
Burris Zee Signature rings
ER Shaw 18" blued barrel

Initial drawing with my 10/22T
e129h0.jpg

sbpz4l.jpg

The $21 tiger stock with screws in it ready to be fiberglassed
t02cyo.jpg

Fiberglassing mess
2e1677m.jpg

2rqd8nc.jpg

24eolyu.jpg

117vkg7.jpg

After a little bit of re-working
10zzjf4.jpg

9bbzit.jpg

Mistake with the pillar. I pushed the drill bit too fast and it splintered the bottom of the stock. Need to glass over it and paint. Oh well.
10dtyfa.jpg

After some more sanding
35chbp4.jpg

xe4ego.jpg

b962jq.jpg

With the very used 10/22 I bought for the build
2rxvcw2.jpg

ydjjb.jpg

Somewhat finished at this point. The color combo I am really just not sure about
24b88p1.jpg

23r9zsw.jpg

rjefja.jpg

2zq7b10.jpg

2d11yf4.jpg

What did you use for paint on the receiver and stock. Looks pretty cool though, be interesting to see how it fits to you as well.

What did you use for paint on the receiver and stock. Looks pretty cool though, be interesting to see how it fits to you as well.

The receiver is stock. I polished the sides a long time ago.

It's funny, I started this project wanting to create a really chromy, bright and in your face rifle and a year later wanted something darker and more subtle.

The stock was sanded down bare, the stripes were down with a butane pencil torch and then some wood stain was applied.

I primered the fiberglass areas and then originally sprayed it with an silver/blue metallic enamel paint. It looked horrible so I went over those areas with a matte black acrylic paint.

I then went over everything with a clear semi-gloss lacquer which brought out the wood stain.

Must admit it looks a bit weird at first but it does grow on you. Have you tried it out? Looks pretty comfortable and it would seem that it would be a much more solid platform/grip than the other commercially made ones.

Nice job on the glassing. Very professional looking- this can't be your first time working with the stuff.

Last edited:
Must admit it looks a bit weird at first but it does grow on you. Have you tried it out? Looks pretty comfortable and it would seem that it would be a much more solid platform/grip than the other commercially made ones.

I tried out the rifle in a different stock. This current one was drying at the time.
Pretty good groups, slightly better than my 10/22T and with a better trigger.

This stock shoulders well for me but you seem to have the same feeling as me. Sometimes I look at it and it just seems a little weird.

I forgot to include the pics of the finger groove area
It's actually quite comfortable. The pic looks strange because I'm bending my hand for the camera.
The pinky fits in the little channel underneath the raised bump.

2hgx16c.jpg

2dhfzb7.jpg

The top of the receiver looks black in the current version, the original looks to be polished.

The top of the receiver looks black in the current version, the original looks to be polished.

The first pic is of my 10/22T which has a silver receiver. Is that what you're talking about? I used that to mock up the design for the current 10/22

This current 10/22 always had a black receiver but I polished just the sides.

What did you use to reinforce the filler? Did you drive some screws or pins into the stock to hold the filler from cracking?

What did you use to reinforce the filler? Did you drive some screws or pins into the stock to hold the filler from cracking?

Yes, I put wood screws into the original stock as support for the fiberglass.

I originally put this project down because those on rimfirecentral told me that fiberglass would simply crack over time etc.

I ended up leaving this stock in an area which sees hot summer temps and cold winter temps for over a year and it has not cracked, split or anything. Based on that I decided to continue and finish it.

t02cyo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom