• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finished first AR15 upper today

beaker

NES Member
NEW PICS ADDED 10/24/09 Pg 3 of the thread.

Finished putting together my first AR upper today:

16" SS barrel (OD Duracoat)
AA Piston/BC
DD light rail
VLTOR upper
FSC556 compensator

Got OD handguard covers as well, haven't put them on yet. Eventually, this will be mated to a lower with OD furniture as well.

Still needs BUIS and optics (and a lower for that matter)

Upper_1_resize.JPG

Upper_3_resize.JPG

Upper_2_resize.JPG

Upper_8_resize.JPG

Upper_7_resize.JPG

Upper_9_resize.JPG

Upper_5_resize.JPG

Last edited:
Hey thanks all, I appreciate the kind words. I don't know how it will hold up from first hand knowledge, but from everything I could find about it, the stuff is very tough. Application was easy with an airbrush as well. You need to blast the stainless with 120 grit aluminum oxide first. I have a before and after pic I'll post. I got the blaster for $40 and the aluminum oxide for $25, but I will use both on other projects so it was a good investment. I already have a compressor and an airbrush. I also refinished 4 mags the same color. The duracoat is $17 for 4 oz (i used only about 1/3) and hardener. You also need the TruStrip for cleaning the item and Reducer for cleaning up the airbrush. Stuff is no harder to work with than any paint I've used, and it dries very quickly. 1 hour to touch, 24 hours to assemble, a few days to shoot and 3-4 weeks for full cure. It seems pretty tough, didn't mark it during assy, and I dinged it enough times when I was putting it together.

Before_resize.jpg

After%20Bead%20Blase_resize.jpg

After%20DuraCoat_resize.jpg

nice!

how durable is that OD coat on the barrel?

Last edited:
You should try it out, it is pretty straight forward. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help.

Is there any interest in a how-to Duracoat thread?

cool, might try this sometime soon, think i'll start with some mags to get the hang of it... artistic I isn't [laugh]

NEW PICS

This morning I picked up the upper from David Santurri, who pinned on the FSC556 compensator. David does outstanding work, and I am very happy with the job. He is only 20 minutes away, with is also great.

I was able to mount the Troy BUIS, the Sling Mount (HK Style), and the Magpul rail covers. I know I should move the rear sight back. Here are some pics...

Finished%20Upper%20-%200.5_resize.jpg

Finished%20Upper%20-%201_resize.jpg

Finished%20Upper%20-%202_resize.jpg

Finished%20Upper%20-%203_resize.jpg

Finished%20Upper%20-%208_resize.jpg

Back
Top Bottom