Finish Suomi m31 semi auto carbine

I got an email today from a certain place that is selling M31 kits for fairly cheap (remember how cheap Romy "G" kits used to be?)...anyone know how involved a build would be or would one be better off just picking up a completed gun from a dealer?

I got an email today from a certain place that is selling M31 kits for fairly cheap (remember how cheap Romy "G" kits used to be?)...anyone know how involved a build would be or would one be better off just picking up a completed gun from a dealer?

There was a series of articles in Shotgun News regarding this a while back. Its a doable project but for as cheap as these are now in new semi auto rifles, I don't see it worth it. I do think the kits are a great buy because you get parts that aren't available from a source if something on your new M31 breaks.

Just got back from the club. Only jams I got was from the drum 5 jams. Shot 300rds. I shot some of my cast bullets they shot nice sks Ray is right about trigger long reset but once you know the trigger. You can really eat up ammo. Grouped nice at 25 yards.

Found out that the magazines fit into the carriers for a Sterling:

DSC_1923.jpg

I purchased one of these beauties when they first hit the market. SKS Ray was the first person to try it out at one of the MFG shoots. He ordered one within the week. As to being heavy remember this was a full auto weapon. It also had a much shorter barrel. In the day of their manufacturing composite material was not an option. It was built to withstand extreme cold temperatures and was attributed to inflicting massive causalities in the Winter War. It was considered one of the finest built weapons of its time for simplicity and barrel change out.

The trigger is a bit stiff but its a battle rifle not a 10/22. I love mine and some 000 steel wool and Kroil oil on the finish with a result in an almost original blue look.

As with all rifles I dissembled mine upon arrival and cleaned it. After 200 rounds the trigger freed up and the action worked great. I shot all types of ammo. Even Wolf functioned great.

I would not suggest reducing the spring tension/ weight. The rifle will not function if you do. There is an article somewhere on the web, I cant find it now, it talks about the need for the tension strength of the spring. I also suggest buying a parts kit as Ray stated. If something does break you wont find parts at your local gun shop that's for sure.

I guess I lucked out as far as the drum goes. Mine functioned without any issues. As to mags, they are selling for as low as $11 so hunt around.

For all who have purchased one, ENJOY, for all of those folks who have yet to purchase one.....ya don't know what you are missing[wink]

Last edited:
No shroud? Was it to reduce weight?

Well Bill is a retired gunsmith from Rhode Island. So he's tinkering with it. Reducing the trigger pull and making a lightweight shroud and new lighter rear sight. So this is still a work in progress. I'll get pics when its finished. BTW He polished up the drum in a few spots and he ran off 20 rounds without a hitch.

I like my a lot. Had at the club sat and sun. The guys liked it too. The drum jammed up 5 times with 72 rounds in the drum.In the same spot May a dead spot in drum. I talked to John at twn He makes them He says the drum are hit or miss in the way they work. I shot my using cast bullets I shot the smallest groups with cast ammo. I have to start the Dillon up to feed it.Theirs some much steel the gun stays cool.

I will call John in the am He made them He may send me one or return the trigger group to him.Just one little spring killed it.I was shooting it at 50 yards standing It keeps them on target.Shot 50 rounds And then trigger let go. I always take two guns to the club. So it was not a lost day at the club.

John I like my once I work out the bugs out of it. I am getting new trigger spring. After that should run nice. I hope you reload. I eats up a lot of ammo.I am going to put more oil on my stock it's dry.Let us know how It shoots.

Finally got to copicut to try it out. Fired about 90 rnds total. All reload cast, 125gr 4.5 bullseye. Drum worked great but only loaded 32 rnds. Stick mags work 100%.
Shot all off hand at 100 and 200 yd. I like it!

101_0109.jpg

200yd target.

Bought parts kit from Centerfire arms. Must have if you own a Suomi. Will post photo of kit later.

John

Finally got to copicut to try it out. Fired about 90 rnds total. All reload cast, 125gr 4.5 bullseye. Drum worked great but only loaded 32 rnds. Stick mags work 100%.
Shot all off hand at 100 and 200 yd. I like it!

200yd target.

Bought parts kit from Centerfire arms. Must have if you own a Suomi. Will post photo of kit later.
John

I've heard they prefer the 147 Gr lead bullets. Gonna take mine out tomorrow if its not raining. I've got a American Zootshooter match Saturday and I may use it there.

We had two Suomis at our American Zootshoot match last weekend. This is one that someone modified with a lightweight shroud and a added pistol grip. Gun has to be two lbs lighter with this new shroud.

DSC_2249.jpg

DSC_2247.jpg

My uncle and other relatives were in the Winter and Continuation wars. I wonder if they might have used one of these.

I got mine during the summer. The safety seems to engage all by itself every 4th or 5th rounds. I shipped the trigger group back to TNW as they are aware of the problem. I've since gotten the trigger group back and it's still doing the same thing. Back to TNW it goes. I'm not very happy.

Back
Top Bottom