Finish Suomi m31 semi auto carbine

Knob Creek

NES Member
Just ordered one of these. $375.00 out the door. 9mm takes 36 round stick mag or 71 round drum.

finnishsuomim3104nw0012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a lot of fun, are the preban mags readily available for it?

Got mine:

Good News/Bad News about the gun.
Bad News – It’s freakin’ heavy. About like the Thompson – maybe more. All relative depending on how strong one is.
Bad News – The wood is rough and it smells of cosmoline.
Good News – The wood is “oversized” and stands proud of the metal so when it is sanded down to get rid of the dents and marks it will look good and fit the metal nice and hopefully smell better.
Bad News – I can’t cock it unless I put the butt down on the floor and use 2 hands to push the cocking lever down. Not sure yet if it has a hold open but I don’t think so.
Good News – An action job and lighter recoil spring will take care of that.
Good News – The magazine looks new and is very well made.
Good News – The mechanism is simple and built a Russian Tank.
So So – It has a fairly crude Parkerized like finish. I may bead blast that off and blue it if the wood comes out OK.

Good News – It ought to be a bunch of fun to shoot.

Got mine:

Good News/Bad News about the gun.
Bad News – It’s freakin’ heavy. About like the Thompson – maybe more. All relative depending on how strong one is.
Bad News – The wood is rough and it smells of cosmoline.
Good News – The wood is “oversized” and stands proud of the metal so when it is sanded down to get rid of the dents and marks it will look good and fit the metal nice and hopefully smell better.
Bad News – I can’t cock it unless I put the butt down on the floor and use 2 hands to push the cocking lever down. Not sure yet if it has a hold open but I don’t think so.
Good News – An action job and lighter recoil spring will take care of that.
Good News – The magazine looks new and is very well made.
Good News – The mechanism is simple and built a Russian Tank.
So So – It has a fairly crude Parkerized like finish. I may bead blast that off and blue it if the wood comes out OK.

Good News – It ought to be a bunch of fun to shoot.

That bolt will loosen up a lot after you shoot it a few times.

I may wind up refinishing the stock on mine. The one thats on it is rough and looks to have some water damage but the one I got from a parts kit is in nice shape and has the early sling swivel.

The over all weight of the rifle is at about 9lbs IIRC. Once you get used to it its not bad at all though and it gives it the recoil of a 10/22. Just watch your thumb placement when gripping the stock. The knurled knob at the back of the receiver beat the hell out of mine the first time I shot it.

When I got mine I took it apart for a wipe down and inspection but left most of the factory oil on when I shot it. At the most I'd wipe the bolt with some Break Free. These guns run well and will break in after a few range trips. The only thing I didn't care for is the drum mag because I get about 15 to 20 rounds off on mine and then one will hang up. Thats drums for ya though. Even though the drums look cool the stick mags work 100% and give you an easier grip to use while shooting.

The drum will add make the gun a lot heavier. I going to try the drum. To see how it works. It cool how it works. The mags I think will be a lot better. I put the sling on it. I hope It shoots as good as it looks.

I took it to my club today. Put 300 rounds thur it. The trigger didn't reset right a lot of the time. I did it random. I tried 3 brands of ammo and my reloads. Its a nice gun other than that. I shot it standing at 50 yards. It kept it in paper. Sks Ray is right about drums jammed 6 times on me. I used a full drum. The stick mag worked very good. One thing is you have to make sure stick or drum locks in good or it will fall out. Its all most like a tommy gun. I shot flat nose lead tip ammo thur one jam. I will call the maker and see if I can get trigger group fixed. Its a heavy gun gives you a work out but fun to shot. If any on is on the fence about this gun buy it. I will let you know how I make out with the return.

The trigger does have a long reset. Its due to the rifle being a full auto design meant to fire from an open bolt being converted to a semi auto. I'm sure there are a few smiths out there that could tinker and get a smoother trigger but I'll take it for what it is unless someone comes up with an easy fix.

The biggest difference I've seen from the parts kit to the new rifle is the fact that the original bolt is a huge hunk of steel with a bump for a firing pin and the semi auto verison looks like it has a .22 cal bolt.

I am calling the maker in the am Its a early one sn oo6xxy. I think it my be a return one. They fixed it. And resold it. I will see what they say. Says on there web page they will cover it for a year. Its a fun gun to shoot.

Who is the manufacturer? I have a number of the drum mags that I bought a while ago for another project and now I might just pick one of these up.

I got to shoot a full auto Suomi several years back up in NH (had the drum - it was ran like butter.... never jammed on us when we were using it: it did take a while to load it up LOL). I didn't notice how heavy it. I like it the best next to the HK MP5 (got to shoot my buddies in CT).

Pretty cool rifle! [smile]

They emailed me back. They said they want me to call them. More than likely I will have to send bolt and trigger or whole gun back. Gives me time to set up Dillon. This gun eats up ammo. You will be poor feeding it. Sure is fun after shooting this the gsg-g5 is nothing to handle or any other gun.

Found out there are two places that make the suomi t.g.i and t.n.w. I was getting ready to mail it to t.g.i. I saw it was made by t.n.w. So I call t.g.i. To see if they are same place no they are not. They were nice gave me the # to t.n.w. Talk to john there. Told me to try some thing out he's the one that makes them. I think I can fit it. He said call him today to make sure its work out ok. That would of suck sending it to the wrong place. Kind of weird gave t.g.i. the s/n of the gun. They should of know it was not there's

Back
Top Bottom