Fine. A Spyderco Knife Thread...

Any particular seller? I've been reading about counterfeit Spydercos...
No. There seems to be a group of Spyderco knives that are actually sold as counterfeits:

and some sold as factory seconds:

I think that you could get a counterfeit from a lot of places but I am not worried about it too much. I have also bought used knives with good result.

Love the story Mr. Green Cobra!

Also, I have decided on my first Spyderco knife and it is not the Native 5 Light Weight I first wanted.

I ordered a Para 3 Light Weight from BladeHQ last night...
Made in Colorado, USA, Earth. $98
View attachment 415884

Should have waited 24 hours. BladeHQ is throwing in a free random Morakniv with every order over $85.
Also, that’s usually where I get my spydies. Unless it’s a sprint run specific to a dealer, which Spyderco does often.

Edit- also, a free air freshener.. dafuq?

Last edited:
It’s the McBee.

Now i need a McBee... add it to my wish list. McBee, Warrior, Gunting, and I forgot the "q" and now my wish list is well over a grand... [laugh] [shocked]

There seems to be a group of Spyderco knives that are actually sold as counterfeits:
when i was active on the board, the para military series was actively counterfeited. the para 3 was just then dropping so at the time the original para and the para 2's were the ones to watch.

at this time someone posted on the spyderco board, they saw a place selling para 2's w/black blade for short money, like $98. WHAT? unheard of for a deeply discounted spyderco. so i bought one and then the chatter on the board over them started, counterfeits. someone said the bug logo and other printing was done in silver and it should have been gold. i'm looking at mine and it looked kinda sorta silver. turned out to be the way the way the ink played on the black blade in certain light.

at the time, spyderco was aware and published a beware notice spydercos were being reproduced. i sent mine back to golden to find out for sure and turned out our para's were the real deal. i honestly thought it was real. if you handle enough of them you can tell most times, but still, when the seed is planted. with the collection @white feather is featuring, i'm sure he knows what i'm saying. i had over 250 pieces in my collection before i sold them to fund my little internet fountain pen business. i sold them on ebay but oddly, only the people from the spyderco board who knew me and knew the knives were genuine bid on them. jeezus, i loved those bob lum tantos, wish i held on to them. lol

forgot to mention, the counterfeiters, whoever they were, mostly from china it seems, were buying the boxes from the same manufacturer as spyderco. same graphics, they printed the side stick on labels using the same font and bar codes, identical to originals. so for the sake of the illusion, the boxes were real. you scan the bar code and it really came up what was suppose to be in the box. clever i thought.

forgot to mention, the counterfeiters, whoever they were, mostly from china it seems, were buying the boxes from the same manufacturer as spyderco. same graphics, they printed the side stick on labels using the same font and bar codes, identical to originals. so for the sake of the illusion, the boxes were real. you scan the bar code and it really came up what was suppose to be in the box. clever i thought.

Didn’t KTP lose their ability to sell Spydercos (for at least a while, don’t know if they sell them now) because they were knowingly selling counterfeits?

Didn’t KTP lose their ability to sell Spydercos (for at least a while, don’t know if they sell them now) because they were knowingly selling counterfeits?
don't know what happened honestly. iirc they said they were knock offs to begin with, with nothing implied they were real spydercos. in 2018 at shot, i was at the spyderco exhibition booths talking with the retail program people (about becoming a spyderco dealer) and i was asking them about the ktp thing and the ramifications. they were pretty tight lipped. but at the time it didn't sound like they were going to drop them from the dealer program. i didn't end up opening an account and got out of knives into a different direction. this here is the first i've even thought about it since. i never use ktp so i'm not current on their situation.

Love my Spyderco's (probably around a dozen+). Calypso, Para 2 & Para 3, Delica, Endura, Tenacious, and at least a half dozen Dragonfly's (plus a few that I can't remember). My teenage son keeps on "borrowing" my Dragonfly's and then somehow "misplacing" them, so I have to constantly replenish the inventory.

My favorite brand after my Randalls. Not too expensive and can take a beating while staying razor sharp.

Hey. What's the deal with "Byrd" knives...? Opinions...?

made in china. they'll work. forget the steel used in the one i have but it gets wicked sharp if you know how to sharpen a blade. my attitude though, meh....i use mine for beater chores when i wouldn't want to ruin a real spyderco.

8Cr13MoV seems to be the biggest offering. I have a ton of Chinese beaters. I'll pass...

Thanks, Mr. Green Cobra!

had to get a new phone, my companion of 6 years faded off..... trying the camera, and with the hard to photograph spyderco burnt orange delica & meerkat. both with hap40 steel. i had to justify a $90+ meerkat so it is my dedicated pill cutter. anyway, in natural light, i think the representation is pretty close. the meerkat is lighter in person also. so not too bad, you be the judge.

20201205_061439.jpg

I have one. I'm a fan, when I EDC a folder it is a Byrd. If I wanted another Spyderco I'd buy the Byrd version. Better than most $40 folders. If you are a knife snob/Spyderco fanboy Byrd won't do, and that is OK, for everyone else and getting the job done they are a good deal. If you want a different Spyderco but aren't sure if you will like it for the price difference it might be worth trying out the Byrd version first.

I have one. I'm a fan, when I EDC a folder it is a Byrd. If I wanted another Spyderco I'd buy the Byrd version. Better than most $40 folders. If you are a knife snob/Spyderco fanboy Byrd won't do, and that is OK, for everyone else and getting the job done they are a good deal. If you want a different Spyderco but aren't sure if you will like it for the price difference it might be worth trying out the Byrd version first.
i have a drawer full of cheap chinese knives i got free from the nra for one year memberships over the years. everyone just as good as the byrd line. no need to spend money here. and honestly, the spyderco name attachment is 50% of the cost. brand recognition is a valuable marketing tool. me personally, i do like all the hawkbill byrd knives they offer, a decent value for the money.

Could barely get the page to load around 8a yesterday morning and then the whole 2nds inventory was blown out by early afternoon

They refreshed the inventory every few hours Th and F. They called off Sat. because they ran out of inventory. The site would get impossibly bogged down just about a few minutes into each drop but if you could catch it right away and were quick (no account issues, and their authentication was a mess) you could grab stuff. Getting orders through after that was pure luck (+persistence).

I’m interested to see what the seconds look like in person. I know they put a tiny notch on the back of the blade but want to see just how cosmetically defective they are. Will post pics when they get here.

Spyderco Ayoob (top photo, top left had an interesting blade angle story... they were made in both plain and Spyderedge (which I bought).

Spyderco Masaad Ayoob

Masaad Ayoob is an established authority and writer on firearms and knives. For more than four decades he has taught defensive knife and firearm programs and appears frequently as an expert witness in trials involving edged weapons. Along the way he developed an all-purpose tactical folder suited to his preferences that is the Spyderco C60 Massad Ayoob CLIPIT.

Most unusual about his folder is its radical angle of the handle to the blade. Ayoob explains: “With a typical knife, thrusting lifts the blade’s point above the line of the forearm, like a boat prow going through water. The faster, harder or more resistance encountered, the higher the prow rises deviating the blade off course from its original target which can mitigate the depth of the cut and can cause the blade to literally ‘skid’ when a resistant surface is hit.”

The C60’s radical angle brings the blade into line with the long bones of the forearm, channeling the body’s force directly behind the line of the cut resulting in minimized blade deviation and maximized accuracy. Because of the blade to handle angle, the Ayoob has a short opening arc, translating into fast opening.

The Spyderco Masaad Ayoob features also include a PlainEdge VG-10 stainless steel blade with a deep belly for maximized slicing potential. It has a notably strong lock-back with a David Boye style release lever that helps ensure safe lock-up. The black G-10 handle has an ergonomic thumb rest at the rear of the blade and a steel pocket clip for right/left hand tip-down carry.

I was just reading on another forum that they're doing another sprint of these some point soon. Sal from Spyderco confirmed G10 scales and steel that isn't VG-10 - presumably a bunch of other changes too. Hopefully I can grab one when they come out, though an old one might be a better collector...

This came in today. Looks to be LNIB - no signs of use and it’s so stiff I’m guessing the lube in it is original and dried up.

1607834168087.jpeg
1607834200620.jpeg

It’s a big knife. With a full grip I still have room for an extra finger on the handle, and I have pretty big hands.

Last edited:
What are you supposed to do with a pinned knife that's stiff/gummy? Just lube it up and open and close the blade a million times?

What are you supposed to do with a pinned knife that's stiff/gummy? Just lube it up and open and close the blade a million times?
Maybe a couple of shots of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then compressed air blow out and then a little knife pivot lube...?
That's what I do with great success. Not sure what materials your knife is made from and you may want to research it first...

I like this for lube...

1608309247591.png

I would post the question over on the Spyderco forum on their website but jesus christ what a bunch of insufferable fanboys. I don't know why I ever leave NES.

The handles are some sort of aluminum. I'm going to drop some lube in it and try to get it worked in. I'm not that used to backlock knives - the Native I picked up recently is also very stiff - but I figure the blade should at least swing freely with the lockbar depressed. The Native does that, the Ayoob isn't close.

Back
Top Bottom