Fine. A Spyderco Knife Thread...

I am absolutely shocked that our NES go to knife guy does not own a Spydy! For such an aficionado you need to add one to the stable! I own two, the tenacious and Paramilitary 2. I’ve had them in and out of my pockets and have used them here and there, I’d say most of the time they are processing food on camping trips, my fixed blade and Recon 1 take the brunt of the heavy work though. 8986DEFA-F56A-4701-840D-11D5F1580B6B.jpeg

I have several, current favorite is the Autonomy.
961736050.png

I am absolutely shocked that our NES go to knife guy does not own a Spydy! For such an aficionado you need to add one to the stable!
Lol. I've been buying a lot of ammo and reloading equipment... but that's no excuse.
I found a Native 5 in black over at BladeHQ for $119 w/ free shipping. Now I'm just doing a coupon search to sweeten the pot...

@Mass-diver, is that serrated Hawk's bill basically for cutting rope and line? (like for lobster traps?) What other uses have you found for it?

Dear god...
what’s the proper lame way to go about this? Super lame? Super lame! My feeble attempt at an instagram style photo on my wife’s comforter. Don’t tell her, it’ll ruin my street cred.
image.jpg
I like Spydies.
A trio of PM2’s (I sold the M4 “virgin” G10)
1 lefty, 1 righty, 1 blurple S110V. A Native5 S35VN *cough-for about $200 less than a sebenza-cough* and a pair of delicas. I love the Seki City Japan VG-10, those two I can get sharper than any of the others, especially the sabre grind. Someone on here may recognize it.
BTW, those two .223 rounds and single #4 buck represent what I’m willing to trade for another PM2 or a Manix2. They’re both M579’er super tips, so, you know, super spendy. Also, #4 buck!
365 (oh yeah, that’s a safety!) and $35 Seiko5 for scale..

I own two, one was gifted from my cousin as a groomsman gift and the other was a NES Karma. Will update pics later.

My wedding one is a Endura IIRC, the other a Delica. The Endura was my EDC for years until I found the Kershaw Leek. Out of all my highbrow knives, I carry the Leek daily. I'm unbelievable.
tenor.gif

What's funny is the average person I show the Leek to, it opens so quickly they think it's an auto [laugh]

I can attest to that $30 blade's strength. I've beaten it to death. I wedge shit with it, it doesn't care at all. It was a blemished model and I don't care about it too much. f***er won't die.

Last edited:
A few years back my only experience with Spyderco involved a couple of cheap old plastic handled (unlined?) knives and I didn't think too highly of the brand, but since then I've come to appreciate them as a big production knifemaker. They have so many different models and options, ranging from the budget to the higher end production stuff. They take a chance on unique designs and materials. Even the spideyhole, which used to annoy me, has grown on me. And what's not to like about their wire clips?

@new guy Funny you mentioned the Spydyhole, that was a turn off for me initially but now I actually look for it in a knife for one handed opening.

It really took me a while to get used to, and at the beginning I really disliked jamming my thumb/thumbnail into it to open the knife up. Now, somehow, it doesn't bother me anymore, and I in fact appreciate that the blade doesn't have a big thumb stud hanging off of it.

It really took me a while to get used to, and at the beginning I really disliked jamming my thumb/thumbnail into it to open the knife up. Now, somehow, it doesn't bother me anymore, and I in fact appreciate that the blade doesn't have a big thumb stud hanging off of it.

Or a flipper tab sticking out the back. I love my ZT0450, but it’s more of a sleek dress knife. For everyday utility, the spydie hole is hard to beat. That, and the compression lock is intuitive as well. I’m ashamed to say that of all the knives I’ve owned over the years, I have yet to own a Manix2. I’m a lefty, so ambi-by-design features like the ball bearing lock and Benchmade axis lock, appeal to me greatly. Anyone have thoughts on the Manix vs. the PM2?

Maybe Santa will bring me one since I know even he can’t find ammo.

i won a contest with spyderco, well kinda, when they introduced the byrd line years ago. they wanted to come up with the slogan for the byrd line so they threw it out to the people on the spyderco forum. even though everyone liked my entry, spyderco and the folks on the forum, the company said they were really looking for a more family friendly slogan but they sent me a knife just the same. my slogan was "finally, a bryd you can flip in public!" still own the knife.

@Tinkermatic Compared to the Tenacious I think it’s a better option than the Pm2 just on price point, your spending a lot more for the PM2 and not getting much more for your money, although the Tenacious is made in China as opppsed to the Pm2 being made in Colorado. The Manix has a much bigger blade if that’s what your looking for

Well then! It would appear a SPYDERCO THREAD was way over due...

Can anyone fill me in on the Delica with Emerson Wave feature? Is it superfluous with the thumbhole opener? Or...more better?
It is "more better" but the Delica is about the smallest knife that it works on. Karahawk doesn't seem to like the wave... Here are my Spydies. Waved Delica is center left top photo and Karahawk is second from left top (with the thumb hole). Wave is best on the Endura/Matriarch. There are three Enduras in the photo (center right top photo) including my first Spyderco (the green handled Endura in the center). My wife claimed my pink Endura for her own so it is not pictured. Sadly, the second photo needs to flip left to right and rotate 180 degrees but the size of each knife makes this obvious. Top photo, bottom right Military and center right Waved Endura are EDC.
20201125_114218closedspy.jpg
20201125_114426openspy.jpg

Bottom picture:
Top Row:
Military, Yojimbo 2, Ronin, ARK, Jot Singh Khalsa
Middle Row:
Endura Wave, Endura, Mid 90's Endura, Matriarch, Para Military, Delica Wave
Bottom Row:
Bug (used to come in as three pack but this is the only one I bought), ?, Lady Bug, Spydercard, Karahawk, and Ayoob

and yes, I am partial to the Spyderedge serrations... and three have neck sheaths (ARK, Yojimbo, and Military.). Ronin has a belt sheath as it is my only fixed blade Spyderco. I had a Byrd (Flat Byrd? like the Spydercard but cheaper), but gave it away to a kid at work. No comparison to original Spyderco. Just need a Gunting and a Warrior... [smile]

The ARK was dismissed earlier in the thread as a novelty but it seems that there was a lot of thought behind it...
Technical Specs
The ARK—or “Always Ready Knife™—is a purpose-designed personal-defense knife conceived by U.S. Army combat veteran John Shirley and his friend Sam Owens. While deployed to Afghanistan, Shirley learned that an alarming number of U.S. personnel were falling victim to sexual assault, particularly while showering. Drawing from his knowledge of the Japanese martial arts and with the help of Owens’ skills as a craftsman, they developed the ARK as a lightweight self-defense tool that can literally be carried anywhere.
The heart of the ARK is its deeply curved clip-point blade ground from H-1® steel—a nitrogen-based alloy that is extremely corrosion resistant. The curved edge packs impressive cutting power into the compact blade and the clip-point profile ensures a strong, extremely sharp point. The ARK’s fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle is molded directly onto the tang and features Spyderco’s proven Bi-Directional Texturing™ pattern and an index-finger groove to guarantee a secure grip—even with wet hands.
To ensure universal carry, the ARK includes an injection-molded polymer neck sheath with a breakaway ball chain. Best of all, the ARK and its sheath together weigh only 2.0 ounces (57 grams), so you’ll hardly know it’s there—until you need it.

Last edited:
Spyderco Ayoob (top photo, top left had an interesting blade angle story... they were made in both plain and Spyderedge (which I bought).

Spyderco Masaad Ayoob

Masaad Ayoob is an established authority and writer on firearms and knives. For more than four decades he has taught defensive knife and firearm programs and appears frequently as an expert witness in trials involving edged weapons. Along the way he developed an all-purpose tactical folder suited to his preferences that is the Spyderco C60 Massad Ayoob CLIPIT.

Most unusual about his folder is its radical angle of the handle to the blade. Ayoob explains: “With a typical knife, thrusting lifts the blade’s point above the line of the forearm, like a boat prow going through water. The faster, harder or more resistance encountered, the higher the prow rises deviating the blade off course from its original target which can mitigate the depth of the cut and can cause the blade to literally ‘skid’ when a resistant surface is hit.”

The C60’s radical angle brings the blade into line with the long bones of the forearm, channeling the body’s force directly behind the line of the cut resulting in minimized blade deviation and maximized accuracy. Because of the blade to handle angle, the Ayoob has a short opening arc, translating into fast opening.

The Spyderco Masaad Ayoob features also include a PlainEdge VG-10 stainless steel blade with a deep belly for maximized slicing potential. It has a notably strong lock-back with a David Boye style release lever that helps ensure safe lock-up. The black G-10 handle has an ergonomic thumb rest at the rear of the blade and a steel pocket clip for right/left hand tip-down carry.

It is "more better" but the Delica is about the smallest knife that it works on. Karahawk doesn't seem to like the wave... Here are my Spydies. Waved Delica is center left top photo and Karahawk is second from left top (with the thumb hole). Wave is best on the Endura/Matriarch. There are three Enduras in the photo (center right top photo) including my first Spyderco (the green handled Endura in the center). My wife claimed my pink Endura for her own so it is not pictured. Sadly, the second photo needs to flip left to right and rotate 180 degrees but the size of each knife makes this obvious. Top photo, bottom right Military and center right Waved Endura are EDC.
View attachment 415194
View attachment 415195
and yes, I am partial to the Spyderedge serrations... and three have neck sheaths (ARK, Yojimbo, and Military.). Ronin has a belt sheath as it is my only fixed blade Spyderco. I had a Byrd (Flat Byrd? like the Spydercard but cheaper), but gave it away to a kid at work. No comparison to original Spyderco. Just need a Gunting and a Warrior... [smile]

The ARK was dismissed earlier in the thread as a novelty but it seems that there was a lot of thought behind it...
Technical Specs
The ARK—or “Always Ready Knife™—is a purpose-designed personal-defense knife conceived by U.S. Army combat veteran John Shirley and his friend Sam Owens. While deployed to Afghanistan, Shirley learned that an alarming number of U.S. personnel were falling victim to sexual assault, particularly while showering. Drawing from his knowledge of the Japanese martial arts and with the help of Owens’ skills as a craftsman, they developed the ARK as a lightweight self-defense tool that can literally be carried anywhere.
The heart of the ARK is its deeply curved clip-point blade ground from H-1® steel—a nitrogen-based alloy that is extremely corrosion resistant. The curved edge packs impressive cutting power into the compact blade and the clip-point profile ensures a strong, extremely sharp point. The ARK’s fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle is molded directly onto the tang and features Spyderco’s proven Bi-Directional Texturing™ pattern and an index-finger groove to guarantee a secure grip—even with wet hands.
To ensure universal carry, the ARK includes an injection-molded polymer neck sheath with a breakaway ball chain. Best of all, the ARK and its sheath together weigh only 2.0 ounces (57 grams), so you’ll hardly know it’s there—until you need it.
@white feather, is there anyway you could make a legend at the bottom of the photos so that others, that are new to Spyderco Brand, could have an ID on them?
Thanks for considering this,
~Enbloc

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Maybe your grandchildren will read them years from now when researching a knife...
~Enbloc

Back
Top Bottom