• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finding Sheds in New England

friend of mine told me that you can't pick up sheds until May 1. Said something about how the small animals eat the marrow.. Game Warden/EPO will write you up if found with one. seemed bizarre, but I didn't argue as I had no idea. Anyone ever heard of such a reg? This is in MA.
No such law or regulation in Mass.

Yeah...no. Never heard anything like that. Sheds are fair game anytime of the year.

They are hard to find because that time of year bucks are hanging out in thickets

We don't have a large deer population in MA

Rodents eat them for minerals, where in other parts of the country, they have these minerals found naturally. Plus other parts of the country have larger deer herds. Like in the midwest area. Lot easier finding sheds there.
That is false.

The latest issue of NH Wildlife has an article about picking up moose sheds. It's not very in depth, but it boils down to: know where to go, and know how to recognize scrapes and such.

Pretty soon, dfw is going to require a stanp to pick sheds. They are important sources of minerals for all critters, big and small. I used to pick them up but half of them back in the woods. I habe one fresh setwith no chewing on them and this same deer's previoussheds that are chewed up real bad. These were all found in his bed area within 10 feet of each other. I know folks who use dogs to find them but I find that is cheating amd doesn't help learn the territory. To each their own.

Inspired by this thread I went yesterday, no luck. Found one last year.
I have a hard time slowing down to really look always seem to default to regular walking/hiking speed.

just enjoy the woods. I walk deer trails and am psyched to come across a spike. Pay attention to the signs left for you, scrapes and such and enjoy the day. Most I find are happenstance.

Tough out here in zone 7 been putting on some miles but haven’t found anything yet

Don’t give up!
Zone 7 is a bit of a drive or I’d offer to go on a hike with you.
I’ve had good luck just following trails (deer trails not human) this year. It was a pretty good winter for the deer, IE not too cold, good snow cover, etc.
Deer will hold on to those racks longer if they’re not stressed.
Check watering holes and stop walking every so often. I can’t tell you how many I find right under foot when I stop.
Some can spot them fifty yards away. I’m not that good. Binoculars help.

Still good to get in the hiking miles, the sheds are a bonus.

I think mostly mice, chipmunks and such chew on them looking for the minerals....

I went out for an hour this am before work with my dog. Lots of sign but no luck.
I follow trails, look for bedding areas and follow my dog as he is a highly trained expert deer poop locator. His preferred early morning snack....

Last edited:
This years finds

Attachments

• 15672923-EDDA-4257-A8CF-6F41EB299AEF.jpeg
    15672923-EDDA-4257-A8CF-6F41EB299AEF.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CEEBC825-28F6-434E-83A5-57851351BAAB.jpeg
    CEEBC825-28F6-434E-83A5-57851351BAAB.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DD31DEAB-8D2B-47ED-A936-3F1BD21B137D.jpeg
    DD31DEAB-8D2B-47ED-A936-3F1BD21B137D.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 10