Finding money on the stoor floor etiquette

A bunch of years ago I got a call from my kid's school. It seems my son found a wallet on the ground and turned it into the office. It belonged to someone visiting the school and contained over $1000 in cash. They wanted me to know what an upstanding son I had. I already knew that.

Other time I was driving from New Jersey to Mass with some friends. When we got back into the car at a rest stop, one guy said "Who has a $100 bill?". I did not' but the other two guys did. They took them out to show him. He said "I just found a $100 bill in the rest stop, and wanted to make sure it didn't belong to any of you"

I swear, my wife was sent to make me a better person.

A long time ago, we found a small bundle of bills in the supermarket. Not enough to make a dent for us, but free money, right? My wife reminded me that that wasn't the right thing to do. Fine. We then saw a woman frantically looking around, and my wife asked how much she lost - it was her money. That wouldn't have made a difference to us, but it sure did to her.

Since then, I've had times when an extra dollar or two would have really helped, and when losing a five or ten would have impacted my grocery trip. Glad now I've got my wife to nudge me on the right path.

Thankfully, she doesn't have to nudge me too often anymore.

Home Depot self checkout before Christmas, hd bag on ground in front of the checkout, bunch of drill bits and what not in it along with a receipt and a few twenties. I go to give it to the woman “running” the self check area and she is like “sorry, you have to wait,I’m working on something”. Me “I just want to give you this bag with cash in it I found on the floor”. She “sir, I told you that you have to wait”. Next picture is me throwing the bag on the ground at her feet and walking out. Hopefully it got to whomever left it!

Back in the 90's, at my local bank look down in the little trash bin and see green in a bank envelope, pick it up and open it 320 dollars cash, three one hundred dollar bills and a twenty. Went up to the counter turned it in along with my transaction, forgot about it.

2-3 months later I ask the teller about it, she said it went up to HR at corporate. Leave bank get home ( no cell phones of course ) call corporate and talk to HR director, she had no clue. Needless to say it never got turned in and I had 320.00 dollars cash and a verbal apology within the hour of that phone call.

Someone would risk there job for 320.00 dollars and I know for a fact all the lady's behind the counter knew about the money as they all praised me for turning it in, crazy.

Jason.

On the ground, most folks leave pennies where they are, anything silver color and above usually gets picked up and pocketed. What do you do if you find a stack of $1 bills on the floor of a Wal-Mart?

I was with my young daughter, we found about $20 worth of singles, I thought best bring them to the service counter in case the owner came looking for them. $20 extra dollars won't bring me over the top, but it probably ruined someone's day losing it.

What do you folks think?
I think you did the right thing!

My 7 year old found a dollar on the ground in th grocery store parking lot yesterday. We went finder’s keepers on that. If it was a larger amp net of money, we would have turned it in.

I really like Lens’s idea though going forward.

Once while working at the NY Boat show a person walked by my exhibit and a big wad of cash fell out of his pocket. Managed to grab it before the stampede of people in the aisle went for it. Managed to find him the crowd and gave it back. He was very surprised he had lost it and said it was 1k, he was going to use to purchase some new electronics.

Tried to give me a $50, but said no but you can get me a large coffee, which he did. While I would have loved to keep the cash, that is not how my parents brought me up.

My wife found a wallet full of cash and gift cards at Michael's. She turned it in to the store and a day later asked if anyone came forward. They knew nothing about it. She regrets doing so and if it happened again, I said hold onto it and place and ad locally.

My wife found a wallet full of cash and gift cards at Michael's. She turned it in to the store and a day later asked if anyone came forward. They knew nothing about it. She regrets doing so and if it happened again, I said hold onto it and place and ad locally.

It sucks when you want to do the right thing but you can't trust the next person in the chain. The ad is a good idea but I'm not sure it would reach the person. I know if I lost a big chunk of money I'd ask the places I'd been and the PD but I don't see myself looking through all the local ad sources. I think I'd tell the store that I found some money, but not how much, and if anyone comes looking they should call me (same with the local PD).

Twice I have found full wallets on the ground and was able to return them to their owners. I cannot tell you how happy those two people were.

I just hope that if the roles were reversed, they would do the same.

Cash is weird. I’ll tell you that in my entire professional careee not once I had someone call in a place of work and ask if someone found a $5/10/20/50. You did the right thing morally and gave your daughter a good example.
Wallets or other valuables like jewelry no doubt trying to get them to the owner ASAP.

Cash found on private property should go to the property owner (yes this includes stores.) If someone found cash on your floor would you want them to keep it?

Cash found on public property - try to find the owner to be a good person.

Story telling time,

I used to rent a house with a buddy and split rent with him. I always paid cash (dont do that BTW, you cant prove you paid your rent if it came down to that) I had $450 in my pocket at the start of the day and lost it somehow along the way. I went to multiple stores, (grocery, etc.) Last place I tried calling was the gym I worked out at that day. I wasn't very hopeful but was very surprised when I heard in the background an employee say that they thought someone dropped a bunch of money there that day. I dropped the money at the counter when I paid for a protein shake and a group of teenage kids came in right after I left. One kid picked up the stack of cash and handed it over to the person behind the counter. I was more surprised when the employees said it was a group of younger kids who turned it over. I tried to get them to give me the kids name so I could give the kid a reward of some sort for doing the moral thing, but the employee working the day I picked it up didnt have the authority or desire to review the video to figure out who it was. Good on you OP for turning it in. If I was with someone who could use the lesson I would surely have done the same. If I was by myself.... yea, Id probably just keep it :)

Glad to hear there are still some honest people out there. A few months ago I was meeting up with a friend to go hunting. When he arrived he realized that a backpack of hunting gear had fallen out of his tailgate. He said the bag was filled mostly with rope, deer attractant some other misc stuff. That the contents were not worth much and to a non hunter probably appeared worthless.
So he was hopeful that if he back tracked he would find it. When he returned to the spot where he thought he may have lost it about 20 mins later it was gone. With only his camo shirt to be found. He said it happened about 1/2 a mile from a police station. Whoever picked it up (probably one of the above NES members who said finders keepers) wouldn't have had to go out of their way to drop it off at the PD. He checked with them but nobody returned it. There are lots of people out there who would not do what the OP did. Hats off to you.

Back
Top Bottom