Finding Match 5.56 in This Madness

DarthRevan

NES Member
I need to try and find myself about 800 rds of match grade 5.56 (you can stop laughing at anytime), before May. I don’t have a weight in mind specifically but with my 1/7 twist, I think I need 69gr or higher. Normally I would go to my LGS and order there but given the state of the world I’m hoping that reaching out to the hive-mind will yield a better result.
Where would you guys recommend I look?
Thanks in advance.

I need to try and find myself about 800 rds of match grade 5.56 (you can stop laughing at anytime), before May. I don’t have a weight in mind specifically but with my 1/7 twist, I think I need 69gr or higher. Normally I would go to my LGS and order there but given the state of the world I’m hoping that reaching out to the hive-mind will yield a better result.
Thanks in advance.
I would try to wait until Larry P drops some or something but you're gonna have to stay on it 24/7 to snag it, either that or make friends with someone who reloads and see if they might help you buy some components and roll your own.

No, don’t have the room for dedicated space right now. Once I buy a house the plan is to start.
1611685674267.png
Dude all you need is literally a sturdy shelf, a used single stage press, a powder scale and a set of dies and maybe a couple other little hand tools, a loading block, etc. This is someone's setup in an RV trailer lol you could literally buy all the tools and components, get setup to reload, and load your 800 rds for less or about the same money as you could buy a case of 5.56 right now, and then you'll always be positioned to produce more ammo if you need to.

That’s good for that guy. Glad he had a spot to set up in.
You could literally get a lee hand press and reload .223 on a TV table while your sitting on the couch. I used to reload very good quality hunting ammo on my night stand in my bedroom when I was a teenager and lived with my parents lol

View: https://youtu.be/7kHgzkWoS64

You could literally get a lee hand press and reload .223 on a TV table while your sitting on the couch. I used to reload very good quality hunting ammo on my night stand in my bedroom when I was a teenager and lived with my parents lol

View: https://youtu.be/7kHgzkWoS64

OOS everywhere I just checked and the $45 tool is selling for $100-$150 on ebay.
With that said, I could get behind that little thing. Load 20 rds. Of .308 a night whilst watching the boob-tube.
Just gotta find primers, powder, and projectiles 😂

OOS everywhere I just checked and the $45 tool is selling for $100-$150 on ebay.
With that said, I could get behind that little thing. Load 20 rds. Of .308 a night whilst watching the boob-tube.
Just gotta find primers, powder, and projectiles 😂
They've been popping up in stock on Larry P's site and Midsouth and Natchez and stuff, just got to catch it. Even if you paid that much for one it's pay for itself after like 5 boxes of rifle ammo though lol

Tough time all around wether buying factory or finding reloading supplies it’s all the same. Keep your eyes open and check everywhere every five minutes seven days a week and you may get lucky.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance.

Hit it

For the folks saying to reload while watching TV while using a hand press.... are we talking about new brass only?

Forget about brass, good luck finding primers. For what they’re being sold for in the classifieds the op would probably be better off buying ammo online at a premium price.
Its a toss up, your hunting for stuff regardless.
There is ammo out there, be quick .
Not reloading for lack of room is no excuse. You would need to be living in a coffin.

Forget about brass, good luck finding primers. For what they’re being sold for in the classifieds the op would probably be better off buying ammo online at a premium price.

I asked because. How would you trim/size the brass with that setup

My reloading setup used to live in a 35 gallon plastic tote under my desk until it was time to clamp presses or tools on top. It can be done without permanent space.
I asked because. How would you trim/size the brass with that setup
Rifle loading is really a single stage operation. It doesn’t go much faster on a progressive. Especially if you’re being careful with charge weights for match ammo. Sizing and depriving is one operation. Trimming is often done on a different tool. Dillon makes the only press mounted trimmer.

i have that one friend who lets his buddies do the leg work, drive miles to be at a shops door when they turn the key in the morning or scour the internet and walk on hot coals to procure ammo. then we wait for that inevitable phone call....

No MA shipping. Need to make an out of state friend.
Honestly the better deal would be the Federal gold metal match 77 gr .223 from the CMP. 92 cents per round instead of almost $2 per round for that Nosler ammo from Natchez. If you don't have a CMP account set up, I'd be happy to order the ammo for you. I know you're not too far from me on north shore. And they don't charge my CC until it ships so its not like my CC will be tied up for a bit. Might take a month or so for it to ship from what others here have said.
Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore (thecmp.org)

Back
Top Bottom