Finding A Pre-Maura Ma Compliant AR Platform

If I were "fortunate" enough to locate a pre-Maura AR 15 lower where can I find a (inexpensive) Ma compliant complete upper, butt stock etc. I find NY compliant and Ca compliant but no one is selling Ma compliant stuff anymore. I hope I do not have to buy a free state one and start grinding things off. I have seen some pretty good deals online for complete AR kits minus the lower rcvr but again, they are not Ma compliant.

Pretty much everyone does. Any fixed stock is good to go. Get any pistol grip you want. Make sure you get an FSB without a bayonet lug, they’re plentiful. Heck, many people use slim gas blocks instead of FSBs now anyway. Then, make sure the barrel either has no threads or has a brake or compensator permanently attached with either a pin&weld or silver solder. It just can’t be a flash hider/suppressor. Heck, you could even go with one of Faxon’s new barrels that have integrated slim muzzle devices, including break options.
Basically, you can get MA compliant parts at pretty much any seller of AR parts. They’re just not labeled “MA compliant”.

If I were "fortunate" enough to locate a pre-Maura AR 15 lower where can I find a (inexpensive) Ma compliant complete upper, butt stock etc. I find NY compliant and Ca compliant but no one is selling Ma compliant stuff anymore. I hope I do not have to buy a free state one and start grinding things off. I have seen some pretty good deals online for complete AR kits minus the lower rcvr but again, they are not Ma compliant.

The internet. Seriously, there are a metric crapton of places selling uppers that fit the bill. Or buy whatever you want and make it MA compliant before putting it on your lower.

The internet. Seriously, there are a metric crapton of places selling uppers that fit the bill. Or buy whatever you want and make it MA compliant before putting it on your lower. Good luck
^This
Some online dealers offer NJ compliant and CA compliant complete upper options when you order, which is usually the same as MA (pinned and welded comp and no bayonet lug). The upper, only considered parts, can be purchased without issue, and then brought to a smith before attachimg to lower, to make compliant. Good luck

I am not that knowledgeable but why would I need to bring it to a smith to make it Ma. compliant. Would't it be compliant at this point. Thanks for any help

My hair isn't that white yet.
sorry jack! all those stories of the great, great grand kids running around northern new england and alaska skinnin' bears and trappin' possums...i just assumed you were a little white haired old man. my bad! unless...you got a little help.

1580667032153.png

If bought compliant, you wouldn't need to bring to a smith. Not all vendors offer a state compliant option. You would then need to make it compliant by having the evil features fixed. This can be done by you, if competent, or a smith.
I am not that knowledgeable but why would I need to bring it to a smith to make it Ma. compliant. Would't it be compliant at this point. Thanks for any help

sorry jack! all those stories of the great, great grand kids running around northern new england and alaska skinnin' bears and trappin' possums...i just assumed you were a little white haired old man. my bad! unless...you got a little help.

View attachment 329018

View attachment 329018

View attachment 329018
Only grandpa. Jack.

There is no such thing as “pre Maura and post Maura”....it is a made up term like “Assault Weapon”. Her people lurk on here, don’t fill her ego.

Let me rephrase this. If I have a pinned stock, no bayonet lug and a pinned and welded comp is that going to be all that I need to be pre Maura? I know I am irritating some people with my questions but I am trying to get this project together with limited background information.I may well have to go to a gunsmith. When I am told that I can't have something it just bugs me. As for Maura-I know where she stands and I know where I stand. They are very different places.

GOAL has some good info clearly spelled out.

Firearms Info | Massachusetts | GOAL - GOAL.ORG

Here is a pretty good list of preban serial numbers on AR15.com if you are looking for a preban.

Serial Number List :: (Rev 10 - 2/13/99)

Bob

Let me rephrase this. If I have a pinned stock, no bayonet lug and a pinned and welded comp is that going to be all that I need to be pre Maura? I know I am irritating some people with my questions but I am trying to get this project together with limited background information.I may well have to go to a gunsmith. When I am told that I can't have something it just bugs me. As for Maura-I know where she stands and I know where I stand. They are very different places.
STOP SAYING PRE-MAURA!!!!!!!! Sorry for yelling.

Yup, that's it. I mean, technically you could ditch the pistol grip and retain one of those other features, but most people don't do that.

I will say though, that "pre-maura" prebans are over-priced. You may as well spend a little bit more and get a real pre-ban/pre-94. Then you can do whatever you want with peace of mind. If you don't really care that much about Maura's edict which isn't actually law, then build your own lower and abide by the actual assault weapon ban (e.g. what you're asking about)

WE are Massachusetts, and We shall decide what is Compliant and what is Not...

The Healey interpretation was in 2016. There are probably thousands of threads with useful information in them, use the search bar to check them out. Also there is a specific forum related just to MA gun rights, take a poke through there as well. Members are "leery" of someone with with very little activity asking blatantly obvious questions that would be more apt to come from an anti-gunner. NES community is very helpful and resourceful but also does its due diligence to protect itself. Browse around and you will find the info you seek because its probably been asked before. Its like my wife says, "why do you ask where the remote is before you even look for it? Its on the table in front of you." Good luck with your build and thank you for being a green member.

Find your lower and have Steve over at northeastarms build you a upper to your own specs ftw.

Have you read the MGLs that define what an assault weapon is is is not.
Once your understand that you can figure out what your upper will or wont need to comply. Then decide if any mods are something you can do yourself or farm out to a smith

SgtHal75- I am seeking answers to questions that affect ME. Many members of this forum, myself included are hesitant to post due to a few on here who try to ridicule and poke fun of posters who are just looking for information. It can make a good forum feel downright unfriendly. You can go away now.
To those of you who gave me good and very helpful information-Thank you very much. I have all of the Pre-Healy information that I need.
Maura knows where she stands and I know where I stand. Two very different places.

Except the whole premise is wrong. Go buy a brand new lower, doesn't matter if it was made 10 years ago or yesterday. Make sure the upper doesn't have too many features and it does not have a folding or collapsing stock to comply with the actual law, and build away. Several dealers will sell you a stripped lower tomorrow, at normal prices, and you build as you see fit. Her edict is not a law, and does not mean ANYTHING. If you are paranoid build it as a .22 first when you register it, but that is not required.

Back
Top Bottom