Find the error in NH F&G's email about muzzle loaders

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Makes you wonder who writes these...hint, it's in the first paragraph.

Makes you wonder who writes these...hint, it's in the first paragraph.

The primer doesn't go in the muzzle?

This is hardly the first idiotic thing they've written like this. The ignorance runs deep in some facets of this organization.

Didn't read...

Is it about semi-auto muzzle-loaders...??? [rofl2]

...and you are right. I missed that one totally. I was so fixated on the really glaring error...

The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

According to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16):

(16) The term “antique firearm” means—

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
Muzzleloaders
are not legally considered firearms in the US on the federal level. However, in a select few states, muzzleloaders and even air guns are considered firearms. Muzzleloaders are considered deadly weapons in all states from a law enforcement perspective.

TWO glaring errors then. And no wonder I got no deer last season here in SoNH. I’ll be dropping a primer down the muzzle on Halloween. I think that little hole in the Pyrodex pellets is sized perfectly for primers, no?

I don't know much about muzzleloaders, but dropping the primer down the muzzle doesn't seem like it would be the most effective way to get one to function. But what do I know, they're the "experts".

Edit: Read the replies, seems I'm not wrong.

As to the use of the term "firearm", the usage is fine and accurate. A muzzleloader is a firearm based on the colloquial meaning of the word. In a legal context, which this was not, then you guys would indeed be correct. It is not a firearm for legal purposes.

I dunno. The little primer bucket on the 550 is full. I'm thinkin if'n I pour 'em all down powder, patch. spent primers, patch mebbe I can knock me down a goose with em.

As to the use of the term "firearm", the usage is fine and accurate. A muzzleloader is a firearm based on the colloquial meaning of the word. In a legal context, which this was not, then you guys would indeed be correct. It is not a firearm for legal purposes.
That totally depends. Take it onto school property in MA and in transubstantiates into a firearm until taken off of school property.

Back
Top Bottom