1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Find-a-pro on NES

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Raoul Duke, May 14, 2008.

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Recently I was thinking about the nature of our combined economic power. Group buys are a great (but simplistic) example. Before long, I was considering the scope of our NES Membership’s various skills, trades, and professions, thinking, what if we could spend more of our money “within our circle;” with people working to achieve pro-2A outcomes and new converts to world of firearms?

Many NES members are business owners. Other member’s, though traditionally employed, might have an interest in creating customers or selling a service. I though, what if we created a thread for members to list their business in a defined format for neatness/readability sake? That way, when your septic system implodes, or you need a new deck, transmission, or even a rifle, you can “shop NES.”

Service businesses could work well; how about an accountant to help you minimize you taxes, or a marketing, management or engineering consultant to help you get that business of the ground or to the next level. If you need nothing, well, good for you-now go spend that money on guns.

Here’s another twist to fatten the pot. Some vendors may consider a portion of the payment “in trade” which they would indicate in their listing. For example, a carpenter who will build you a gorgeous back deck for a combination of cash and a Pre-Ban Colt AR (etc).

Finally, to really maximize the value, we’ll agree that the only charge for listing one’s business/service, above and beyond being a paid NES member, is that you agree to donate, say, 6% of the portion of your annual sales made through NES, to one of a number of yet-to-be determined, pre-approved firearms rights orgs. (NRA, GOA, GOAL, JPFO, etc)

With this tool in place, it will be easier to spend the money we already have to spend, with business and proprietors who actively support our rights as gun owners. As clients, we will get preferred pricing, potentially flexible terms, and great service, as vendors work to maintain their reputation in a community that talks 24/7.

As business owners, we will get a chance to grow our clientèle and promote our business 24/7, maybe even make a trade for a new piece of gear that never has to pass the stringent, “household spending review” before acquisition, because, hey, you didn’t really buy it did you? It was more a trade...yeah, that's it. A trade.

In the end, everyone gets to feel good for creating a new income stream to help preserve our right to keep and bear arms.

Now, you may be thinking, "Golly, Mr. Duke, there’s a lot of holes in that great idea of yours.”

Well, yes, there probably are. But, I doubt they’re insurmountable and nows the time to work the kinks out. In fact, I'll smooth a few right now. Then you can all weigh in with your thoughts and changes, which I’ll attempt to record, distill and then codify, before starting a new post for the “Business listings.” Here we go:

“But how do we know the money gets donated?”

Because, at the end of every year, participating business owners will total their receipts from NES member clients and calculate their donation which will be shared with the NES community. For example, if a Vendor sold $4400 worth of floor sanding services to NES clients in the calendar year, that individual would donate $264 to Goal (for example) and would post the receipt provided by the org. Yes, we would have to trust that someone, somewhere is underpaying their dues, but frankly, we have bigger problems in life and the net effect will still be more money for the Organizations that support our rights. Besides, at a minimum, people will donate something because you couldn’t very well say, “I did no business from the board this year” to a community that includes your customers.

Plus, let’s agree to be better people than that.

Questions Cont.

“But, if I pay my bill part in guns, part in cash, how will you donate a piece of a gun?”

Thanks for asking that particularly asinine question Mr. Duke, so that I can, in fact, answer it. [smile] The full value of the contract is the amount upon which donations are based, providing the cash match for any portion received in firearms or related items, is the vendor’s responsibility since presumably, the vendor retains the items in question. Example. Vendor charges NES member $2500 for accounting services which is to be paid with a check for $1100 and a nice looking M14. Vendor then donates $150 to Goal (6% of $2500) saving the receipt for the end of the year contest.

“But how do we know this member is any good? (really knows how to sand floors etc?)”

Well, it’s just like doing business with anyone else you pick from a listing service. You’ll still check references and conduct all due diligence, just as you would before purchasing any service, You may even read good things or bad things about the vendor online which will help you evaluate the quality of the service. This is simply an efficient method to connect two parties. Caveat emptor, as in every aspect of life.

“Cool, so this will cover my NRA membership too…”

No, all vendors/service providers must maintain their current level of support and, through this additional business, increase their total annual support thus completing the last step of the value chain.

“So when is the end of the year?”

Good question, I propose it be a fiscal year starting June 1 2008. Partly because that’s pretty standard, partly because it’s just in time to begin.

“Hey, buddy, my family has to eat; I can’t afford to donate 6% of all my revenue.”

Don’t worry; we’re not talking 6% of your total annual revenues (unless 100% of your business comes from NES-in which case, pony up you cheap bastard). We’re talking about 6% of the revenue that comes from jobs you do for NES clients only. You may choose to take as much or as little business (and thus incur the 6% Donation) as you choose. In fact, you may prefer to set aside a certain amount of business your willing to do through NES if you see the donation stipulation being too onerous. It may become necessary to limit the top end of the donation on large ticket items. Theoretically someone could buy a house from an NES developer this creating quite a 6% donation liability- discussion point

“Have you asked Derek yet? It is his board you know?”

Yes, I did. He told me, in essence, “knock yourself out.”

Feel free to continue with the questions/answers. We’ll discuss them in this thread and after a while, I’ll take the summation and codify them, then I’ll post them at the beginning of a fresh thread along with directions for and examples of, the listing format, and we’ll give it a shot and see if it sinks or swims.

Here's one to get you going... what should we title the thread?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
    2 people like this.

2. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I'm in. I manage 250,000 sf of commercial rental properties in Littleton and West Concord, and have some vacant space. All NES members would have to do is to refer clients to me and I would contribute if they rent space. Jack.

1 person likes this.
  3. doobie

doobie Banned

I think it sounds like a cool idea. I'm sure we have a number of business owners here who may be interested.

4. CRSIII

CRSIII

Sounds great, count me in.

On the 6% donation. What if the customer hands the company two checks, one to the company for the 94% and one to the org of their choice for the other 6% which the company promises to promptly mail out. This method eliminates the year end deadlines and all parties are assured that the money got to where it was going.

This is an excellent idea!

5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Great. I think we'll take a few day's to think about it and refine the idea with thoughts like yours. Yes, if the client is OK with it, it would be simpler that way. Plus, if the client isn't a member of Goal, you could use a portion of the money to buy the individual member their first year's membership.

Here's a great example of the need for this posted just today

6. ZenShooter

ZenShooter

This is a great idea. I've thought about the need for something like this here in the past. Kudos for actually proposing it! :)

I'm in, if it gets off the ground.

7. Fsorrent

Fsorrent

I'm a professional at breaking in women...are you about to be married? Not sure how the lady will perform long term? Don't worry. For 3 easy payments of $39.99/ month you'll be satisfied by my services. Skill sets range from your run of the mill stuff, to things you haven't even imagined yet. If you can pronounce it, I'll teach her it. Don't you want to have the night of your life on your wedding night. My personal touch will help. Is your wife's labido slowing down, does she need a tune up. No PROBLEM! [wink] Just kidding, dont hurt me...

PS I htink this is a great idea BTW!

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Well now, that's just the trick isn't it?

I put this up a day or so ago and I think we need a "critical mass" of about 20 people/businesses or so get it off the ground. With that in mind, I'm going to follow it for a few more days, and see what we can gather for interest, then we'll get on with it.

Shamelessly pluging it for a few more days....btt[smile]

BTW, what do you do?

Fsorrent, we're going to have to get an "Adult" section for you my friend.

9. Fsorrent

Fsorrent

That'll work Giggidy Giggidy!!![smile]

10. jdubois

jdubois

Heck, no. After not going to bed the night before because of the all night bachelor party, and then spending an entire day pretending I cared deeply about the placement of the flowers and such, and talking to an endless stream of folks who claimed to be relatives or something, and keeping my mother and new mother in law from killing each other, and telling my new bride over and over again that everything at the reception wasn't a complete failure, I just wanted to go to sleep!

1 person likes this.
  11. Fsorrent

Fsorrent

Unfortunately, I believe that 90% of most people's wedding nights end like that...at least those who haven't sent their wives to me [wink] JK.

12. sksguns

sksguns

Is PayPal ok? LMAO!!!!!!

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator NES Member

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    Shouldn't this be in the GREEN members section only?

14. C-pher

C-pher

I don't think so...the more people that use this, the more the gun community will benifit. So I think this is one of the things that should be open to everyone.

But that's my two cents.

15. sksguns

sksguns

No Worries...I won't use it. I was just going along with the joke....

16. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

All I can really offer is child care, tutoring and social skills training for special needs students.

my rate is 30/hour which is lower than most private respite work.

That being said, I am in for this.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  17. billmelater

billmelater NES Member

Service Swap

Is this idea dead, or has it gone over to the green side? I'm interested because I own a pet boarding/grooming business in Pelham NH, and need a chimney rebuilt (1 1/2 story, single flue, 6' above the roofline) at my Lowell MA home.

18. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Have you thought of using a stainless steel All Fuel chimney? Easy to install and price comparable to brick.

19. billmelater

billmelater NES Member

Sorry, my post wasn't clear at all. The chimney is inside the house and that part is all good. It's the 6' above the roof that needs work. It's badly weathered, and a nearby tree (now trimmed and stacked for firewood) knocked a couple of bricks out in the last windstorm. I don't think re-pointing will be enough. And it could probably be a foot or two shorter. I've seen others re-done on identical houses that are. I don't know the height/distance from ridge formula.
    Thanks, Bill.

20. glockguy17

glockguy17

Same here. I need about 4 feet above the roof peak done over. The liner has begun to discintegrate and i need a cover put on to stop it from happening again. So are there any masons about????????

21. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

Looking for someone that does windows (residential home)

Looking for someone that does lot clearing (side of home cleared completely minus a bush and a small tree)

Work to be done in Merrimac Valley - PM if interested.

22. Bando_Red

Bando_Red

How can we avoid overlapping between this and the for sale sections? What about people who already offer their services in the sales sections? I don't run a business but I imagine it's understandable if they aren't willing to donate 6% of the money from all the people they contact here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  23. maxdogk911

maxdogk911

Are we talking about 6% of gross or net. Net might work better as my future business would make some money but if I gave 6% of gross it would really take away from my bottom line, which by the way is now going to be smaller anyways with our new president. I have another idea for this post. How about leaving the amount flexible, so donating businesses can enter an amount they are comfortable with. Scale it from 1 to 10 percent and let then donate thier fixed amount. Just an idea, but I think more would donate that way. Also are we a tax deductible org. ?? That would make a big difference to a business owner. Just my 2 cents worth, but food for thought.

24. csharpdev

csharpdev

I'm a software developer and would be willing to sell my services to meet anyone's custom software needs. I currently work with and prefer .NET (C#), I can do Web, Windows, Web Services, etc., if I don't know how to do it I'll learn and figure it out. I can also design and develop databases. I can enhance your existing application/web site or build from scratch.

I'll trade upto 100 hours of development time for a fully assembled Pre Ban AR-15 (preferably with an A4 upper).

I can perform other computer related tasks as well and would be willing to accept other things in trade.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  25. red87930

red87930

I have a kitchen design business and I would participate in this program as outlined in July. Has this ever kicked off anywhere in the forum?

26. MasterShinken

MasterShinken

I am a computer tech and web programmer (.Net primarily, but can do most web technologies). I am also a martial arts instructor with experience teaching ages 3 and up:sport sword, Japanese swordsmanship (kenjutsu, iaijutsu, competitive kendo), bujinkan ninjutsu, 3 weapon fencing (USFA), chinese broadsword, German longsword, rapier, gladiator combat, chambara (competitive). Also assisted basic level wing chung/taichi (yang style) and XMA.
    I have also taught basic self defense, rape pretension, improvised weapon seminars

I would be interested in more training, more specifically firearm tactics training, building clearing techniques, SWAT techniques, bodyguard/VIP protection training. I also would be more than happy to accept firearms and parts/accessories as trade

27. capeframer

capeframer

carpenter for all of your residential add ons/repairs.happy to accept firearms as trade.

28. ItalianBostonian

ItalianBostonian

Private investigator to do surveillance work, background checks, court research, polygraph exams, bug sweeps of vehicles or buildings, or any other PI related work.

29. sportycliff

sportycliff

I own a small printing company.
    We do full color digital offset, Large and small format screenprinting,
    Digital flatbed UV printing (up to 4'x 8') (retail graphics, doors, signs, anything flat and less than 2" thick)
    Roll Digital printing up to 54" x any length (decals, banners etc...)
    Die cutting, laminating, mounting, fullfilment
    Qtys from 1-1,000,000
    Will do straight trades, barter, or of course cash![smile]
    Our website: www.tarvis.com
    or you can pm me anytime...

6% to GOAL
    Cliff

30. highlander

highlander

I'm looking for a licensed heating contractor to get a bid on a new heating system for my tenant. PM or IM me if interested