• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally! Will be joining your guild soon

s4mt3k

NES Member
Every year I think about it, and every year it's too late. I go on the mass hunting site to sign up for hunter ed and every year I realize the classes are full. Calling the number listed tells a similar story; classes full, wait lists full, go **** yourself.

Well, this year I realized you can sign up to be notified when a class is added. So, I did that, and lo and behold, got an email yesterday saying a class opened up in Westborough in December! Called @ 8a today, and was enrolled in under a minute. AH - MAZING

So, pretty pumped and had to share with y'all.

Not even a clue where to start but will be digging in and doing my research soon to figure out when and where I can get started.

Congratulations on becoming a member of the hunting community. Try to start seeking out people who would bring you and show you the ropes. I went to the class this year with my buddy since he had an interest in duck hunting. It was a painfully boring class and they didn't offer a lot for new hunters. He got the duck bug first time out. It's a big learning curve. Good luck!

My son took the class in Westboro last year. Nice new building with some interesting stuff to look at during breaks.
Trout stream down the middle of it.....Your tax dollars at work.
Enjoy and get out in the field!

My son took the class in Westboro last year. Nice new building with some interesting stuff to look at during breaks.
Trout stream down the middle of it.....Your tax dollars at work.
Enjoy and get out in the field!
Actually the trout stream and building is mostly paid for by license fees and Pittman-Robertson money, a federal tax on hunting and fishing gear.

Every year I think about it, and every year it's too late. I go on the mass hunting site to sign up for hunter ed and every year I realize the classes are full. Calling the number listed tells a similar story; classes full, wait lists full, go **** yourself.

Well, this year I realized you can sign up to be notified when a class is added. So, I did that, and lo and behold, got an email yesterday saying a class opened up in Westborough in December! Called @ 8a today, and was enrolled in under a minute. AH - MAZING

So, pretty pumped and had to share with y'all.

Not even a clue where to start but will be digging in and doing my research soon to figure out when and where I can get started.

Hindsight is better than foresight but you could have just taken the texas course online the whole time. Actually you still have time to take it right now and be good for the rest of the season!

You don't need to take the class in mass.....can be a hunter course from any state, Canada or Mexico and your good.

Texas offers an all online course for $13. Sign up right now and you can be hunting by this weekend. Takes about two evenings to run through it.......all while drinking beer lol

Additionally.....unlike NH you can buy your first license completely online! When you purchase the license youn just click a box that states "I swear under the penalty of purgery I have completed a hunter education course".....pay the bill with a credit card and print! You can literally be hunting this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be "challenged" here shortly by some others that have not heard of the texas online option so here is proof directly from mass fish and game website

[h=5]To be eligible to buy a hunting license[/h]You need to have successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course in any US state, Canada, or Mexico.
You do not need proof of course completion. If purchasing your license online, you will be prompted to use an electronic affidavit (check a box) to affirm one of the following:

• I have held a hunting or sporting license prior to January 1, 2007.
  • I have successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course.

and to make it easier on you.....here is the link to the texas online hunter ed

https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/?ca...MIpdLR0-mv1wIVDYVpCh2_cAtBEAAYASAAEgKb6vD_BwE

Grab a 6 pack.......set aside two nights......and I'll see you in the field this weekend!

[smile]

Last edited:
Congratulations on becoming a member of the hunting community. Try to start seeking out people who would bring you and show you the ropes. I went to the class this year with my buddy since he had an interest in duck hunting. It was a painfully boring class and they didn't offer a lot for new hunters. He got the duck bug first time out. It's a big learning curve. Good luck!

Take the course online......drink beer while clicking the slides......much less boring.[cheers]

Hindsight is better than foresight but you could have just taken the texas course online the whole time. Actually you still have time to take it right now and be good for the rest of the season!

You don't need to take the class in mass.....can be a hunter course from any state, Canada or Mexico and your good.

Texas offers an all online course for $13. Sign up right now and you can be hunting by this weekend. Takes about two evenings to run through it.......all while drinking beer lol

Additionally.....unlike NH you can buy your first license completely online! When you purchase the license youn just click a box that states "I swear under the penalty of purgery I have completed a hunter education course".....pay the bill with a credit card and print! You can literally be hunting this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be "challenged" here shortly by some others that have not heard of the texas online option so here is proof directly from mass fish and game website

[h=5]To be eligible to buy a hunting license[/h]You need to have successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course in any US state, Canada, or Mexico.
You do not need proof of course completion. If purchasing your license online, you will be prompted to use an electronic affidavit (check a box) to affirm one of the following:

• I have held a hunting or sporting license prior to January 1, 2007.
  • I have successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course.

and to make it easier on you.....here is the link to the texas online hunter ed

https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/?ca...MIpdLR0-mv1wIVDYVpCh2_cAtBEAAYASAAEgKb6vD_BwE

Grab a 6 pack.......set aside two nights......and I'll see you in the field this weekend!

[smile]
This is how I did it. Except I did it over three days in my office at my old job with the door closed. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is how I did it. Except I did it over three days in my office at my old job with the door closed. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Shame not too many folks know about it and they wait....and wait....and wait. My buddies wife did the online tx one last week. Shes going out with us for small game this weekend and hunting shotgun and muzzie season with us.

I got sick of waiting back in 2012 and took my hunter ed in new Hampshire.

I'd totally consider this texas option if I actually thought I;

- had the time this weekend
- had someone to take me this weekend
- had the equipment I probably need this weekend

[rofl]

I'd totally consider this texas option if I actually thought I;

- had the time this weekend
- had someone to take me this weekend
- had the equipment I probably need this weekend

[rofl]
What do you need for equipment? Got a shotgun? Some 4, 5, or 6 birdshot? 2 hours of time? Go bag some grey squirrels. I go out and sit in the woods on WMA land for short little trips all the time. Clears my head!

Good for you OP! I just finished my class today, like you I was always annoyed by the wait. Just a heads up, when they tell you not to wait until the last minute to do the independent study, they are not kidding around!

What do you need for equipment? Got a shotgun? Some 4, 5, or 6 birdshot? 2 hours of time? Go bag some grey squirrels. I go out and sit in the woods on WMA land for short little trips all the time. Clears my head!
Where or what is wma? Lol

a wildlife management area (where you walk in a zig-zag in pheasant season)

i took a bunch of classes put on by fish and game when i lived in mass......one thing you won't read on their website is that instructors don't like to turn people away. both hunter ed and trapper ed instructors mentioned they don't care if the class is "full". if you show up, you're getting in. that was in the northeast part of the state, i would hope instructors statewide would feel the same.
there are also beginners hunting workshops offered on a limited attendance basis a few times per year. i think it's too late for deer this year but be on the lookout for turkey classes in the spring. the guys that volunteer to run those are awesome. so knowledgeable and so happy to share it with everyone.

Back
Top Bottom