• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally went BLUE

From a Lee Loadmaster, to a Hornady LnL, and now a Dillon.

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a 650 with a casefeeder from Brian Enos...................now the wait begins (3-5 week backorder). I am really excited, how is everybodys experience with the 650? Any advice that a "new to dillon" guy should keep in mind? Thanks

I load on 2 650s. My only complaint is changeing the primer arm is a PITA,no matter how or what I tried I mangled the primer arm trying to get it out. Finally bought a 2nd 650,easier to chenge machines than the primer arm. I did buy a nifty gadget from a fellow on e bay. It was a bracket that replaced the spent primer cup,it allowed me to put on a piece of clear tubing long enough to feed the spent primers into a waste basket. I can't remember his name unfortunately so I don't know if that item is still on e bay.

I've only had my 650 for a couple of months. Done about 5,000 rounds. It's a cakewalk. Setup is incredibly easy, the manual has page after page of detailed (With Pictures!) instructions for setup and includes all the tools you need. Hardest part is drilling the holes in the table. A slow pace will have you cranking out 600+ in less than an hour. (provided you buy more primer tubes)

Only real advice I can give is to get these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Adjusting...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=012&category=71120&cmd=ViewItem

And if you're big into velocities and/or pushing the limit. Get one of these scales http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C3I3AA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

That guy is accurate down to .02 of a grain. Most scales any cheaper than that will be .2 of a grain. So if you want to measure 6.0 grains, your scale may say that, but you could actually have anywhere from 5.8+ to -6.2

Also just keep the powder hopper completely full when loading, especially if you're loading plinking rounds with something like clays. This will avoid bridging.

They have great customer service. Keep it on speed dial.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I have had a 550 for atleast 20 years and it has loaded probably over 1million rounds and a 650 for a while that has done 10's of thousands and I have never contacted dillon except to purchase more caliber conversions I think you will be good to go

The auto index and casefeeder will allow you to go very fast. I once loaded 1200 rounds of 9mm in 1 hour. My advise is don't do it. When you go that fast 2 bad things happen. You make mistakes and you push too hard and set off a primer. Unlike with the 550, if you set off a primer in the 650 system, all the primers detonate and destroy the system. Dillon sent me a new primer system but they didn't replace the fluorescent light or my underwear. I still like them.

The auto index and casefeeder will allow you to go very fast. I once loaded 1200 rounds of 9mm in 1 hour. My advise is don't do it. When you go that fast 2 bad things happen. You make mistakes and you push too hard and set off a primer. Unlike with the 550, if you set off a primer in the 650 system, all the primers detonate and destroy the system. Dillon sent me a new primer system but they didn't replace the fluorescent light or my underwear. I still like them.

LMAO.

My first and sole experience with Dillon gear (550B) and Brian Enos was perfect! Brian gave me some great advice over email and telephone and the Dillon equipment has been flawless......really beats running to Walmart [grin]

I checked on E Bay last night and the adaptor for the primer disposal is still available. There are 2 versions one has a small bottle that you can attach to your strong mount,$25. The other is what I have the adaptor allows you to run a piece of clear tubing into a trash can,$20. Both include 4 ft of clear tubing. Type in search bar "Dillon 650" and it's the 4th or 5th item down.

I load on 2 650s. My only complaint is changeing the primer arm is a PITA,no matter how or what I tried I mangled the primer arm trying to get it out. Finally bought a 2nd 650,easier to chenge machines than the primer arm. I did buy a nifty gadget from a fellow on e bay. It was a bracket that replaced the spent primer cup,it allowed me to put on a piece of clear tubing long enough to feed the spent primers into a waste basket. I can't remember his name unfortunately so I don't know if that item is still on e bay.

This, I want a second 650 because I hate changing out the priming system. It really only takes like 10 mins but I just dislike doing it.

They have great customer service. Keep it on speed dial.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

You just like red paint. I have had my 650 for years and have had NO issues. One bit of advice: buy lots of primer tubes. I have nine of each. I always leave the press full so I can go 1,000 rounds before stopping.

I have a load master as well and am just about to change... it is a good enough press if you like to tinker all the time... make 50-75 rounds... re-adjust everything... I also hate the indexing... it sometimes just does not work and you have to recycle the handle with your finger on the plate (watching out for double charges!!!!!).. I dont need the speed so much as I dont like all of the ways things can go wrong... a little bit at a time. Did you have the same issues??
I am having a time figuring out which manf to go with next... I have heard great things about Dillon, RCBS and Hornady.... more research

If you are switching from a LNL AP to a 650, could you post your thoughts on the difference? I know I would value someone's experience with both, and others may value it too.

I am still waiting on the 650 to arrive (backordered). I decided to get the 650 because of the awesome reviews I have seen everywhere. Its not that I disliked the hornady, it was a great machine. I had it set up with a case feeder and an RCBS bulletfeeder, and when it worked it would crank em out pretty good. What bugged me is that about every 100 rounds (or less) I found myself taking the shell plate off to clean the priming system because the littlest thing would jam it up..........I also disliked the way the case feeder was set up, it was a PIA to set up and adjust. Changing the case feeder from 9mm to 45ACP was a wicked pain in the ass. From what I can see, it wont be as bad with the 650. It could just be me being inpatient with myself and the hornady, but deep down I always wanted a Dillon anyway. I will say this...............I definitely picked the wrong time to buy a press, this backorder thing really sucks when you are waiting for a new toy!

I am still waiting on the 650 to arrive (backordered). I decided to get the 650 because of the awesome reviews I have seen everywhere. Its not that I disliked the hornady, it was a great machine. I had it set up with a case feeder and an RCBS bulletfeeder, and when it worked it would crank em out pretty good. What bugged me is that about every 100 rounds (or less) I found myself taking the shell plate off to clean the priming system because the littlest thing would jam it up..........I also disliked the way the case feeder was set up, it was a PIA to set up and adjust. Changing the case feeder from 9mm to 45ACP was a wicked pain in the ass. From what I can see, it wont be as bad with the 650. It could just be me being inpatient with myself and the hornady, but deep down I always wanted a Dillon anyway. I will say this...............I definitely picked the wrong time to buy a press, this backorder thing really sucks when you are waiting for a new toy!

Thanks, Joe. When you have the 650 humming along, I would be interested to hear your effective throughput via the LNL AP. I have been thinking of switching myself.

It finally came and I set it up last night. I can see that changing calibers is more of a PIA than the LnL, but it operates so much smoother. I'm glad I made the swap to the 650.

Back
Top Bottom