Finally shot my SKS... You SKS guys are a buncha jerks!

Screw tennis balls! [laugh]

sks.jpg

Israeli practice grenades.

Rome

I kid, I kid.

I bought an SKS over the winter and fell in love with it just on principle. And I did a little homework and learned that people really love the gun for some reason..

I finally shot mine yesterday.. it's.. awesome...

Why the hell did you SKS guys not make a bigger deal about these things?! I should have like.. 9 or 10 of them by now!!

Because if we told more people there would be less sks rifles for us to buy !!! LOL... enjoy and welcome to the club.... and see if you can "hold" on buying just one!

Beware or be aware? Do they have feed issues? I'm just wondering because I was looking at some that used AK mags.

No they are great shooters ... the "beware" is to warn you and everyone else who "thought" their collection was complete that they are missing out on three other great sks's. Also interesting trivia note..... The SKS D model is the only SKS manufactured
with a removable "clip on " bayonet and mount!

Last edited:
These SKS's were made from the factory to use the AK 47 mags.
They are not regular SKS's that have been modified to take the AK 47 mag and they are not the regular SKS's using a "duck bill" mag.

I kid, I kid.

I bought an SKS over the winter and fell in love with it just on principle. And I did a little homework and learned that people really love the gun for some reason..

I finally shot mine yesterday.. it's.. awesome...

Why the hell did you SKS guys not make a bigger deal about these things?! I should have like.. 9 or 10 of them by now!!

SKS's are great...As I said before they are great to own, easy to fix, fun to shoot and have an interesting history. Welcome to the club!

When I started the process of selling off my firearms a couple of years ago, the SKS and the AK were one of the first to go. I don't miss either of them. That being said, I don't miss any of the other firearms I've sold off either. Anyways, I imagine the SKS and the AK went so quickly, easily and for so very much more than what I paid for them years ago, that many would consider the platforms to be quite desirable - for lots of different reasons.

The SKS's will continue to rise in cost / value as the supply of them starts to dry up.

Good shape SKS's (YUGO's. etc) are getting hard to find and now the only thing that seem to be around in quantities are Chinese surplus with beat to death stocks and covered in cosmoline !

The days of the cheap Milsurp semi auto rifles/carbines are coming to a close.

After the 1950's, the design of most military rifles were "select fire" types so there were not many/any made.

As such there are not many pure semi auto built milsurp rifles are stored in warehouses awaiting importation for future buyers!

The mass reimporting of M1's, M1 carbines and SKS's are over unfortunately, unless someone knows of other future semi's that are available!

Bottom line, buy them while you can!!

I owned one 15 years ago and didn't like it cuz I'm an accuracy nut. I would love one if it would hold 2" at 100y. So, my dumb question is, is it possible to build up a match grade SKS?

Ask Red Jacket. They could corner the market.

My SKS hits the small water bottles all day at 100 Yards.

The SKS's will continue to rise in cost / value as the supply of them starts to dry up.

Good shape SKS's (YUGO's. etc) are getting hard to find and now the only thing that seem to be around in quantities are Chinese surplus with beat to death stocks and covered in cosmoline !

The days of the cheap Milsurp semi auto rifles/carbines are coming to a close.

After the 1950's, the design of most military rifles were "select fire" types so there were not many/any made.

As such there are not many pure semi auto built milsurp rifles are stored in warehouses awaiting importation for future buyers!

The mass reimporting of M1's, M1 carbines and SKS's are over unfortunately, unless someone knows of other future semi's that are available!

Bottom line, buy them while you can!!

I think this is probably true of milsurp bolt-actions. For quite a while mosin-nagants were $70 or less, and now they seem to be generally above $100 (which is still an amazing bargain). Once the WWII/Cold War era stockpiles are depleted that will be it for military surplus firearms. I just wish I had the money or the space to take advantage of the deals that are still available.

First of all, the SKS was NEVER a tack driver. It was a man-killer. It was great out to about 150 yards. The idea was that it would hit its target reliably, not score points. There's a lot of difference between being a paper score rifle and a main battle rifle. At 100+ yards hitting a man-size target was all that a rifle had to do unless you were a sniper with nice optics and time to range your target. In that light, the SKS was a wonderful tool. Sure, with match ammo, a pristine barrel and time to set up shop the rifle could easily shot MOA but that's not it's natural environment. Rather, it was more like the AK47 environment......mean and nasty. The round it shot, too, wasn't all that special but quite powerful.

The Israeli practice grenade you see on the SKS in my photo is one of a dozen I purchased in the complete case from Numrich quite a while ago. They were surplused out and I was extremely fortunate to be able to obtain a full case complete with instructions, sights, and spare parts for about $180. I parted out the bulk of the units and made back my money all the while sharing out the booty with other shooters. You would be hard pressed to find these today. The were 22mm tubes, too, just like the ones for most all rifle-grenade shooting rifle from around the world. They worked just fantastic with the proper blank loads which are also extremely hard to find today.

crate%20closed.jpg

crate%20open.jpg

Believe me when I tell you that I was extremely fortunate to have scored this buy. I'd bet that there are NONE left in the USA.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom