• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally shot a few

SKS Ray

NES Member
Finally shot a few of the rifles I've been wanting to but haven't due to lack of a gas adjuster, waiting for a part, etc. I took the Hakim and SVT40 to the range today with some non corrosive ammo. It was after work and I'm kinda tired and too lazy to strip em down and clean out salts right now.
First off was the SVT40 with Wolf 148 grain ammo. I had to dial up the gas to 5 to get the rounds to extract completely and it didn't tear cases or send them flying far. Seems this is the setting that works best on mine. Accuracy at 50 yards was great. I had all 10 shots in a 4 inch circle with 5 shots touching in one neat little group. Shooting the rifle was like shooting a big SKS. It didn't even seem that loud either.
Now onto the loudest and most powerful feeling rifle I've ever shot, the Hakim. This thing is a beast! This is the only rifle I have ever shot with the exception of my M1 Garand that has made me switch from the foam earplugs to my regular muffs. The rifle shoots great, not as good as the SVT40, but pretty close. I had a little trouble fiddling with the gas adjuster. I started out with the point of the dial in the 7 o clock position but that gave me a face full of gas and sent shells flying. I then set it to around an 8 o clock position and that wouldn't extract shells. Finally I set it between 7 and 8 and that extracted shells ok but still seemed to produce excess blowback gas. No powder burn, just a slight whoosh of gas when the bolt cover came back. Is this normal for a Hakim?
I must bring these to the pumpkin shoot.[smile]

Ya the Hakim is a hoot to shoot. It's a brass chucker for sure. It's been a while since I shot mine but ya, there's some blow back. It holds a nice group.
Yes, it's 8X57.
I haven't shot my SVT yet. I only have corrosive ammo for it and the bore is close to pristine. A rarity in an SVT.

The Hakim gives some kick. I've got a little soreness in my shoulder now that I've been home for a while and settled in front of the computer. Its so heavy I can say this... anyone that used this rifle in combat and shot it well while standing musta been one big strong sob.

Interestingly enough, I took my 8mm Turkish mauser to the range Sunday for some shooting.

I made it through all of ten rounds before my shoulder cried "uncle".

Of course, I then put 50 rounds of 7½ birdshot and a box of slugs through my Win1300... [wink]

Wow, I did 125 rounds through my Vz and my shoulder didn't hurt at all! It did start to hurt when I broke out the Mosin M44 and did 20 rounds though.

I'm trying to stay using non corrosive with both of them. I was shooting Olympic in the Hakim. I know its not that good of quality and I could probablyget better accuracy out of some of my milsurp ammo but having to take down the rifle each time after shooting to fluch out the corrosive salts would make me not wanna shoot it much. If only there was a cheap source for non corrosive 8mm and 7.62x54. I remember when standard Wolf 148 grain 7.62x54 was $5 a box.[hmmm]

I don't know what's up with Wolf lately and how they can justify raising the prices on their ammo like they have, I mean it's still WOLF ammo!
I have heard all the excuses like cost of shipping etc.... but going up close to 50.00 a case wholesale is just foolish.
They are going to price themselves right out of the market.

And the new Gold line ammo is Privi Partizan made in Serbia which used to be cheap ammo too! Now it's freakin sky high.
Cost on 7.62X54R a 500 round case is 178. and change, just plain robbery!

Rant off.......Good mornig all!

All ammo has gone up drastically and will continue. Natural resources are very high with emerging countries such as China and India using oil, copper, steel and lead. I think it's only going to get worse.

Back
Top Bottom