Finally received my LTC, what's next?

When I fist got into guns, I was told not to be a "mall ninja". That is somebody who has lots of tacticool equipment but no training.

I decided to spend my money on training instead of guns.

I took a bunch of classes at S&W (now closed).

I read this:

Amazon product ASIN 0936279001View: https://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-Firearm-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001

It's by Massad Ayoob. His name is Massad - it's not the Israeli intel agency.
The book is very dated in some ways but it's a great start and good to know the history of firearms training.

I took his class LFI-1, as it was called back then.

I wanted to learn to shoot AR's. Don't start with an AR unless you have had rifle training in the past. I got a Ruger 10/22 outfitted as a Liberty Training rifle and took classes with Appleseed.
I'm glad I learned to shoot properly instead of wasting tons of money on a AR rifle and ammo.

I wanted to CCW become proficient with a Glock. I took lots of classes up in NH when I they had them. Some people rightly thought I needed extra help. I took a bunch of 1:1 or 1:2 classes with an instructor who brought me up to speed and further instilled safety and mindset.

Since then I take 3 - 4 training classes a year. More recently it's been just 2 - 3 times a year. Now with the Rona, I hope to get in at least 2.

I did everything slowly and methodically. Crawl before you walk. It took me many years of planning and studying AR's before I built one.

NES used to have gatherings or shoots mostly up in NH. In the early days I got to see lots of guns in action. I fired my first AR. Fixxah on NES was the owner of that gun - thanks!

I would suggest you try different guns out before you buy one.

Or, just buy a G19 and be set for life.

Ranges and training is shut down for now but things will open up again.

In Mass a LTC is a very coveted "privilege". It's not really a right in Mass. Don't do anything that could jeopardize losing your LTC.

Don't be around Stupid people, doing Stupid things, in Stupid places, at Stupid times.

Don't stick it in crazy. Crazy chicks are a good way to lose your LTC.

The CCW "insurance" - it's not really insurance - services have some great education material to keep you safe and out of trouble.
I have ACLDN I'm not certain it's the best but the DVD's are worth their weight in gold.

Also check out these books:

Amazon product ASIN B00PMIGVKIView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PMIGVKI/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Amazon product ASIN 1943809143View: https://www.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defense-Indispensable-Citizen/dp/1943809143

I don't think it's wise to have a great gun, great training, but not great legal knowledge.

Knowing how to judiciously use lethal force is essential for any armed civilian.

If you already have your shooter, start carrying it everyday, all day. Pants on, gun on. If you haven’t bought your first pistol good luck finding a nice carry gun in stock, it can be done but it’s going to take some work.

Can I make a controversial suggestion? Go with a larger first gun. I went with a Shield as one of the first two guns. Both were the same size--technically subcompact. And while the Shield is indeed a great gun, I feel like I did myself a disservice learning on it when looking back on it. If you learn on something larger, that technique can be transferred across the board to practically any size frame. When you learn on a subcompact, you might pick up some bad habits associated with the small frame and snappy recoil of a subcompact that don't translate well to shooting any other size pistol. I also feel that now that I'm comfortable with CC and I'm no longer self conscious about printing, that I can pull off a compact size as opposed to subcompact for CC.

Just my 2 cents though.

Can I make a controversial suggestion? Go with a larger first gun. I went with a Shield as one of the first two guns. Both were the same size--technically subcompact. And while the Shield is indeed a great gun, I feel like I did myself a disservice learning on it when looking back on it. If you learn on something larger, that technique can be transferred across the board to practically any size frame. When you learn on a subcompact, you might pick up some bad habits associated with the small frame and snappy recoil of a subcompact that don't translate well to shooting any other size pistol. I also feel that now that I'm comfortable with CC and I'm no longer self conscious about printing, that I can pull off a compact size as opposed to subcompact for CC.

Just my 2 cents though.
I picked up the m&p 2.0 9mm.

When I fist got into guns, I was told not to be a "mall ninja". That is somebody who has lots of tacticool equipment but no training.

I decided to spend my money on training instead of guns.

I took a bunch of classes at S&W (now closed).

I read this:

Amazon product ASIN 0936279001View: https://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-Firearm-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001

It's by Massad Ayoob. His name is Massad - it's not the Israeli intel agency.
The book is very dated in some ways but it's a great start and good to know the history of firearms training.

I took his class LFI-1, as it was called back then.

I wanted to learn to shoot AR's. Don't start with an AR unless you have had rifle training in the past. I got a Ruger 10/22 outfitted as a Liberty Training rifle and took classes with Appleseed.
I'm glad I learned to shoot properly instead of wasting tons of money on a AR rifle and ammo.

I wanted to CCW become proficient with a Glock. I took lots of classes up in NH when I they had them. Some people rightly thought I needed extra help. I took a bunch of 1:1 or 1:2 classes with an instructor who brought me up to speed and further instilled safety and mindset.

Since then I take 3 - 4 training classes a year. More recently it's been just 2 - 3 times a year. Now with the Rona, I hope to get in at least 2.

I did everything slowly and methodically. Crawl before you walk. It took me many years of planning and studying AR's before I built one.

NES used to have gatherings or shoots mostly up in NH. In the early days I got to see lots of guns in action. I fired my first AR. Fixxah on NES was the owner of that gun - thanks!

I would suggest you try different guns out before you buy one.

Or, just buy a G19 and be set for life.

Ranges and training is shut down for now but things will open up again.

In Mass a LTC is a very coveted "privilege". It's not really a right in Mass. Don't do anything that could jeopardize losing your LTC.

Don't be around Stupid people, doing Stupid things, in Stupid places, at Stupid times.

Don't stick it in crazy. Crazy chicks are a good way to lose your LTC.

The CCW "insurance" - it's not really insurance - services have some great education material to keep you safe and out of trouble.
I have ACLDN I'm not certain it's the best but the DVD's are worth their weight in gold.

Also check out these books:

Amazon product ASIN B00PMIGVKIView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PMIGVKI/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Amazon product ASIN 1943809143View: https://www.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defense-Indispensable-Citizen/dp/1943809143

I don't think it's wise to have a great gun, great training, but not great legal knowledge.

Knowing how to judiciously use lethal force is essential for any armed civilian.

I went with ACLDN as well. No it doesn't cover the most. But it meets my needs at a cost that's not overly expensive.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I can't believe it hasn't been said yet:

What's next? Poverty.

All of your money will go to guns. And ammo.

Back
Top Bottom