Finally put a wide trigger in my Hi-Power!

What a goddamn stubborn bitch the trigger pin was to get out! I spent HOURS (probably 8+) trying to get the thing out without scratching my frame. It manage to break off internal bits of an automatic center punch in the process. It's still not completely flush to the frame but it is darn close after I had to use a vice to press the pin back in! It was that tight. Oh, and I marred up the finish a bit around the pin on both sides when my punch slipped. [sad] You shoulda seen the MacGyver-esque shit I was trying to finagle.

Turns out the hole for trigger pin on the right side of the frame is ever so smaller that the pin won't fit unless it is slammed or pressed in with the brute force of a vice grip.

Was it worth saving money? I doubt it, but I'm a cheap bastard at the wrong times and at least I feel some sort of satisfaction by accomplishing this chore. The wider trigger and the lack of a magazine disconnect now make this pistol feel so much better!

I'll have to invest in a press for the future. Talk about an ordeal.

There are special punches ground to a concave and convex shape to allow for not slipping off the pin. Also the pin is captive via the trigger return spring which rests On a groove in the pin.

There are special punches ground to a concave and convex shape to allow for not slipping off the pin. Also the pin is captive via the trigger return spring which rests On a groove in the pin.

I wish I had known that beforehand about concave punches--oh, well. I did use a convex pin to punch a center point, but it was a crappy automatic center punch pin. Bits on the inside kept breaking off, which diminished its strength. I'm going to replace the trigger pin if I get a press. Any recommendations for one?

As far as the pin being captive due to the trigger return spring being trapped in the groove: that is true. Unfortunately, the hole on the right side is still undersized, which makes putting the pin back in a bitch regardless. I had a good center punch on that pin, but I had to SLAM it for it to come out. SCARY.

Next time, I'll try to stop being a cheapo and get the right tools first. I feel like punching such a stubborn pin isn't the safest of ideas, and that a press would work much better. It's scary whacking something that hard.

I wasn't using the center punch for punching. I was using it as directed to make an indent that a punch could fit into without slipping. Once I had the indent, I switched to a regular punch.

I know your pain! When I had my Hi-Power I decided I wanted to get in there and remove the mag safety, but I gave up on that idea after much cursing and hair pulling. My trigger pin never even budged, but I did give up before I went nuclear on it.

Hours upon hours wasted, but my trigger pull is so much better, and the Mec-Gar mags I bought now spring free! SO MUCH BETTER. The mag safety was really making me regret my mag purchases for a minute. It's insane how expensive the mousetrap magazines for HPs are. I saved a whole hell of a lot of money.

I still need a press to get the pin in flush. It's really, really, really, really close but I am done hammering. There's enough scratches in that area now.

Back
Top Bottom