• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally got my Restrictions Removed

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
So I went to put on my holster to carry for the first time. It was super uncomfortable, standing was ok, siting was not, LC9S was digging into my gut.
I could handle the weight of it, but not the digging into my gut.
I was using an OWB hybrid holster.
I usually wear basketball shirts in the summer and sweatpants in the winter. I realize that will need to change. I have only one pair of shorts that I can wear a belt with and that’s what I tried today. I’m 5’7” and 260

Any suggestions for me?

This could let you not have to change. I've been seriously considering picking one up, it looks like a great solution for when you don't want a belt.

This could let you not have to change. I've been seriously considering picking one up, it looks like a great solution for when you don't want a belt.

brr. horror.
i really like what i got now - that, how was it called here - a 'gorilla scrotum' soft holster. makes all the difference when you need to drive for long time or sit. kydex just cuts into the flesh, even with a small p365 gun.
Amazon product ASIN B06XS543X6View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS543X6

brr. horror.
i really like what i got now - that, how was it called here - a 'gorilla scrotum' soft holster. makes all the difference when you need to drive for long time or sit. kydex just cuts into the flesh, even with a small p365 gun.
Amazon product ASIN B06XS543X6View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS543X6
I mean, everybody's body is different. I can wear my T1C Axis Slim with a G45 and spare mag all day with no problem - sit, stand, whatever. I've also run my Shield at appendix in a kydex number just fine.

All the reviews I've heard on the Enigma make me curious as another option. But I totally understand that no solution is for everybody.

So I went to put on my holster to carry for the first time. It was super uncomfortable, standing was ok, siting was not, LC9S was digging into my gut.
I usually wear basketball shirts in the summer and sweatpants in the winter. I realize that will need to change. I have only one pair of shorts that I can wear a belt with and that’s what I tried today. I’m 5’7” and 260

Any suggestions for me?
Lose some weight?

I carry a LC9S in a desantis ankle holster. The ankle holster rests on top of my work boot, I often forget that it is there.

Remember, it’s comforting, not comfortable… there are plenty of times I’m aware of the holster as I get in and out of the car, sitting to standing and visa-versa. You’ll get accustomed to it being there.

IMO, sweatpants are a no-go for me carrying — too risky of having to draw the firearm and have the holster come with it. I’ll occasionally wear warm up wind pants. On those occasions, I’ll pocket carry a revolver — that could be another way to go if you pick up a Sticky holster

i like to carry appendix and 3:30. can hide a glock 19 behind my hip and it tucks into my body perfectly. a really stiff belt helps keep the butt of the handgun from moving around. gotta find a gun/holster combo that works for your body.

Any suggestions for me?
Loose some weight or open carry…
Trust me I know all about it
, there’s nothing like getting in and out of the vehicle and having your pistol stuff you in the fat.

A Smart Carry is a great option if you're wearing basketball shorts or sweats.
You won't be disappointed. They are currently offering 10% to 15% off now thru 8/31/ 22 SmartCarry The Invisible Holster
I can't draw while seated easily (i.e. in a car) with my thunderwear holster which is the same as the smartcarry. I have a hybrid AIWB from comptac that is OK for my G26. If I have a longer slide (looking at you G19) it's not nearly as comfortable for me, the bottom of the holster digs into my pelvis, but I'm a pretty slim and not super tall (5'11", 150). You MUST have a good, stiff gun belt as well. Makes a world of difference. I have a nexbelt AIWB model, it's awesome.

Belly bands are ok, take some getting used to and I only wear one for lake days. I'm 6'5'' and of similar weight, IWB location constantly changes, never in the gut area. I'm a lefty and it ranges from 8 to 10 oclock.

Yup. The gun can't dig in to the gut if the gut is gone.
Then you run into other problems, like printing and having to wear sh*t fitting clothes and women wanting to be with you because you look good.

It is definitely easier for fat people to CCW than people in shape.

I am in shape and it is not easy.

Although I recently tried one of the small SW revolvers in my pocket and it conceals great. Might go that route.

Belly bands are ok, take some getting used to and I only wear one for lake days. I'm 6'5'' and of similar weight, IWB location constantly changes, never in the gut area. I'm a lefty and it ranges from 8 to 10 oclock.
So, do you practice with the gun in all those locations?

Ever move a wallet or cellphone to a different pocket and freak out for a second when you couldn't feel it because you are so used toi being in that pocket?

Imagine needing your gun, trying to grab it but it is not there because you moved it.

What I am trying to say is, it is better to always carry the same way.

Walking with Appendix carry
But I just pocket carry and it works well. Unusually a Glock 43
C2784E6E-00AB-496E-ACC5-04DFE2823A4F.gif

Last edited:

Any suggestions for me?
Yes. Lots of cardio, and a healthy diet. And I don't mean to be an a**h*** or insult you. You're free to flame me for saying that, and I probably deserve it. But at 260 and only 5'7", getting in shape is going to save your life from what your real threat is, long before than that LC9 is. And the real point is, you're going to find it a hell of a lot easier to find a holster set up that is comfortable and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb because it fits your body properly if you are in shape. I was in your position a few years ago, and it is difficult and overwhelming at first, but it will be the best thing you ever do with your life if you do decide to make that change.

So, do you practice with the gun in all those locations?

Ever move a wallet or cellphone to a different pocket and freak out for a second when you couldn't feel it because you are so used toi being in that pocket?

Imagine needing your gun, trying to grab it but it is not there because you moved it.

What I am trying to say is, it is better to always carry the same way.
Good advice, I keep track of where wallets and other things happen to be. 8 to 10 ain't a huge change.

Yes. Lots of cardio, and a healthy diet. And I don't mean to be an a**h*** or insult you. You're free to flame me for saying that, and I probably deserve it. But at 260 and only 5'7", getting in shape is going to save your life from what your real threat is, long before than that LC9 is. And the real point is, you're going to find it a hell of a lot easier to find a holster set up that is comfortable and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb because it fits your body properly if you are in shape. I was in your position a few years ago, and it is difficult and overwhelming at first, but it will be the best thing you ever do with your life if you do decide to make that change.
Absolutely not insulted. You are correct sir.

Back
Top Bottom