Finally got my daughter to come shooting with me

I've been trying to get my 15yo year daughter to come shooting with me for the past 8 months. Every time I asked her she wanted nothing to do with it. Well, our neighbor(her best friend) tried my son's BB gun and loved it. I told her she should come shooting with me and my son sometime. She said she would and then asked my daughter why she wouldn't want to go and learn how to protect herself. Of course my daughter agreed to go if her friend was going. To make a long story short, my daughter and her friend both loved it. Now my daughter said she would come again. She really liked shooting the Remington 597 her friend liked shooting the G21. I'm so happy her friend was able to get her to come with me, because she never wants to listen to her dad....lol

Last edited:
Watch out...next thing you know she'll be asking for pink 10/22s and funky colored ARs!

And that's a problem because...?

Congrats, 705squat! I foresee your ammo bill rising in the near future...

Hey, you know that your daughter and her friend would shoot for free at an Appleseed Shoot, right? [wink]

congrats.i had a little bit of a time getting my three daughters to go.the hardest part was not pushing them into going.congrats to you

I've been trying to get my 15yo year daughter to come shooting with me for the past 8 months. Every time I asked her she wanted nothing to do with it. Well, our neighbor(her best friend) tried my son's BB gun and loved it. I told her she should come shooting with me and my son sometime. She said she would and then asked my daughter why she wouldn't want to go and learn how to protect herself. Of course my daughter ageed to go if her friend was going. To make a long story short my daughter and her friend both loved it. Now my daughter said she would come again, she really liked shooting the Remington 597 her friend liked shooting the G21. I'm so happy her friend was able to get her to come with me, because she never wants to listen to her dad....lol

HEy do you think your daughter and her friend would like to come along and shoot a pink 10/22 (with hello kitty stickers on it) and a multi color AR-15?

Biggest thing is to keep their interest AND not pressure them. Kids will do the opposite of what they're pressure to do. A realy good way to keep theri interest is to let them think up and build their own - 10/22's a perfect project gun.

Here is a taste of the beauties!

[smile]here you go show these to the girls and ask if they wanna come shoot them!

Attachments

• ar15 colors.JPG
    ar15 colors.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Abby1022A.jpg
    Abby1022A.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 47
  • abby1022B.jpg
    abby1022B.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 48
[smile]here you go show these to the girls and ask if they wanna come shoot them!

Thanks for the offer Abby. They said they would like to go. We will need to figure out a day and time for it. Where do you and your dad shoot. I am a member at Taunton Rifle and Pistol so we could there.

Thanks for the offer Abby. They said they would like to go. We will need to figure out a day and time for it. Where do you and your dad shoot. I am a member at Taunton Rifle and Pistol so we could there.

sounds awesome! tell them that I cant wait to meet them and let them try them out! We can meet you at taunton rifle and pistol if you would like , there is also a possability of our club too if you wish, Mansfield fish and game, which ever works better for you! My dad is on vacation all this week, so what day would work for you and the girls?

So it looks like I have a new shooting partner[smile]. My daughter and I went to the range again today. We met up with Scouter-Rick, his daughter AbbyOakley and Ayden(Aiden). I'm sure many of you know them. What great people. I was very impressed by Abby's shooting skills. My daughter had a great time again. She started off with my Remington 597. She then tried a SR-22 and "Hello Kitty". Next up was "Skittles" Abby's recently built AR-15. Finally, she was on to my DPMS Bull 20 that my wife doesn't know about[shocked], well she still doesn't know about it[laugh]. She loved shooting my AR, along with the others. So now my daughter now enjoys shooting, she and I made new freinds(Abby and Rick) and she didn't rat out her dad[thumbsup]. I don't think things can get much better[smile].

The secret to getting my daughter out to the range was... produce.

She was never really interested until she looked at the pictures from a pumpkin shoot we had at Shirley in (I think) '07. There was a picture that had everybody holding up pumpkins. That is, everybody except for the guy that was holding up a pineapple (I think it was either Hanwei or Underwhere, but I can't find the pic now). My daughter thought this was a riot, and asked if we could go to the range and shoot a pineapple. We did, and she had a blast.

A week later, we were at the supermarket and she came running over and said, "Dad, there's a watermelon over there the size of a baby. Can we shoot it?"

The rest is history. Here she is blasting away at pumpkins last fall:

Last edited by a moderator:
So now my daughter now enjoys shooting, she and I made new freinds(Abby and Rick) and she didn't rat out her dad[thumbsup]. I don't think things can get much better[smile].

And all because of the Internet and bulletin board software. So much for the net being "dehumanizing". [laugh]

My sixteen year old went with me this past weekend and really liked the 1911 but she wants to shoot something bigger so this weekend I'm bustin out the 44 and the 12 guage for her.

Some Pics from the range

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC00602.JPG
    DSC00602.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00595.JPG
    DSC00595.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00620.JPG
    DSC00620.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 23