• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally got my C&R

Pick up a copy of Shotgun News this weekend. Check it carefully, especially the advertisers index, and write down the info for places with milsurp rifles/handguns. Then make a bunch of copies of your license using 8x10 paper. Sign only the copies, and sign them in blue ink. (Remember... don't sign your original license, only the copies.) On Tuesday mail off a bunch to the places you found that have C&R eligible guns.
Keep a list of the places you sent copies to and be sure on the copy to write that its for their files and to please inlcude you on a mailing list and send you e mail specials. As you start getting catalogs, flyers, & e mails, check off that business name. After a month if you haven't received anything from a certain company, call them and make sure they got your license and ask for a flyer. Some places just get them and stick them in a drawer untill you contact them for a sale. Then you often get put on a mailing list.
According to a new ATF law, sending a signed copy of your license via fax is ok these days. Some places are stubborn and don't accept that, and some places (actually a lot these days) require a copy of your MA LTC or FID sent as well before they'll ship to MA.
One place that advertises in SGN is Hunter's Lodge. Stay away from them, I've heard bad things about their products. Don't forget to send to Midway, Numrich, and I think Natchez too, for dealer pricing and discounts even though you're not a dealer but still an FFL holder in their eyes.
One more bit of advice... sell off anything you have now that you may not want to own in the future. If the rumor of a no personal transfers law becomes true, you don't want an old .22 or something you don't want anymore laying around when you could have used the cash for a new K98 or Mosin Nagant.[smile] You'll need LOTS of extra money now that you have buying power.[wink]
Actually scratch the transfer law thing, you're in NY. Us Mass folks may be restricted. Still, get extra cash, it will be needed.

M4M has posted some really good advice. You should also check to see if there are any restrictions in NY State, although I haven't seen notices in any ads as I have for NJ, MA, and CA.

USMA-82 also has good advice, but none of us, including him can seem to follow it. <G>

Gary

Yep. Also, you can send Ken (USMA-82) a list of what you're looking for and he'll tell you what shops those pieces are at if he knows of some, then you can contact them for shipping. He loves to spend my money for me. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom