Finally got my build to the 200 yard range

bdb

I completed this one over the winter and hadn't been out to shoot it yet in the warmer weather until this week. I was pretty happy with the results. The scope is a Nokon P223 4-12 x 40mm so it's OK but not great glass. It works for what I want out of it though. The barrel is a Wilson Arms 24" stainless steel bull barrel with a 1:8 twist. This rifle is HEAVY as hell. Definitely a range toy not a hunter :)

I tried a few different brands and weights of ammo. Fiocchi 77gr HPBT, Hornady Vamint Max 55gr, and just your standard run of the mill American Eagle and Fiocchi 55gr FMJ bulk ammo. The results were about what I expected, the higher end ammo shot better than the bulk, no surprises there. I was pretty happy with the results for a first time at 200 yards with it though.

Here is a kind of crapy pic of the rifle and the results. At 100yards it was pretty good and 200 had some pretty good results as well. The bulk ammo really opened up at 200 yards though.

Anyway just thought I would post up the first real range trip results.

Rifle:

Hornady V-Max 55gr 200 yards

Fiocchi 77gr HPBT 200 yards with a flier

100 yards of 3 different types and the bulk at 200 yards

very nice. If the 55gr v-max or z-max shoots well, try looking for the 53gr Superformance varmint. It's the most accurate ammo in my 20" 1:8 build (also with Wilson Arms barrel aka RRA Predator Pursuit upper).

What trigger in your build?

What trigger in your build?

It's just a basic Windham Weaponry LPK trigger, nothing special. I did the 2 cheap mods to lighten the pull, polish everything and reduce the take up. It's no match trigger but I think it's pretty nice for what it is, crisp, shorter and lighter than stock.

RIMike, I didn't bother taking pics of the range.

Josh, I wish I spent a few extra bucks and bought the Windham Weaponry Varmint Exterminator package. It has the handguard (which I bought), 20" fluted barrel and matching bolt. A buddy of mine bought this package and it is a hell of a lot lighter than mine. No idea how it shoots long range yet but I heard good reports on it. I really liked the llok and feel of it when I helped him put the build together.
WW-barrel.JPG

In 1/8 and 1/9 barrels I have had great results with Sierra 69 gr HPBT bullets. .343 in for five shots at 100yds and 2.25 in for five shots at 300 yds. 55 gr IMI bullets just about doubled the group size.

Finally made it back to the range after the long winter. Seems like forever since I shot 200 yards. Took me a few groups to get the fundamentals back. I tried 4 or 5 different ammo brands with bullets weights of 55, 62, 75 and 77 grains. I also have some 69 grain but just ran out of time. This gun seems to prefer the heavier rounds but a few brands in the 55 grain work well.

I noticed my pics from the original post are gone, I must have nuked them from photobucket at some point. Anyway today I found a load this rifle seems to really like. Most of the groups of different ammo group in the +/- 2" at 200 yards range. I am happy enough with 1 MOA out of it. It did seem to really like the Hornady 75 Grain Match ammo though. I'll go back in a few days and if I get some more groups like this I'll just look to stock up on this ammo I think.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392200/hornady-match-ammunition-223-remington-75-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20IMG_4558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom