• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally going to try to join Harvard Sportsmen's Club

I am finally getting off my behind and heading out tonight to see if I can gain membership.

I have done a good amount of research on the various clubs, though it is not the closest one by far. But for my needs / desires it fits the best.

I have wanted to join for some time and never got around to get the time due to work, but now it is open and I hope to join. I would also like to participate in the action shooting they have there and perhaps join if possible the Harvard Action Shooters.

Perhaps I will be able to meet some fellow NES'ers at the meeting and introduce myself.

See you then
Bruce Aubry

Wow, Bruce, North Andover to Harvard is a haul, but I agree with you - everything I've heard about HSC has been great. Most definitely not a Fudd club. I've been thinking about joining myself since my club, Southborough Rod & Gun Club, has had their outdoor range closed since April or May. I haven't gone shooting for over five months now and I'm not really feeling like I got my money's worth this year. It would be nice if they would at least update their web site to let people know the range is closed, and even better if they would give people an idea of when it might re-open. I sort of see it like this:

SRGC = good facilities, HSC = great facilities
SRGC = about 10 minutes from me, HSC = about 20 minutes from me
SRGC = "No rapid fire!", HSC = IDPA
SRGC = no steel core ammo outside and no jacketed ammo inside, HSC = no ammo restrictions I'm aware of
SRGC = range closed (indefinitely???), HSC = range open

Before other members of SRGC jump all over me here, I'll be the first to admit that, like most members, I haven't put much into the club other than club dues. I prefer to show up, shoot, pick up after myself, and leave. I'm looking for a place to shoot, not a social experience. That said, most of the folks I've met there have been nice, although I did encounter a couple jerks too. I guess every club has its good ole boys who show up to drink as much as they show up to shoot.

Marcus, you're not the only one looking for a second home. I'm pissed that I've bought a new rifle and new pistol during the range shutdown that I haven't been able to use at SRGC. And that whole "no rapid fire" crap irritates me. Heaven forbid I ever have to use my firearm to defend myself, but if I do, I'm damn sure going to put more lead out than the other guy. And I think I ought to be able to train that way. Just my opinion.

And that whole "no rapid fire" crap irritates me. Heaven forbid I ever have to use my firearm to defend myself, but if I do, I'm damn sure going to put more lead out than the other guy. And I think I ought to be able to train that way. Just my opinion.

I have no use for clubs where some guy who was drinking stumbles
out of the clubhouse and stammers "YEW BOY IZ RAPID FIRIN!
DATS AGAINST DA RULES! SCHTOPPIT!" [laugh] Some of
these places end up being more social clubs than a place to
shoot.. they don't like rapid firing because the extra noise doesn't
allow them to consume their beer or whatever at the required
pace undisturbed. One club out this way (which shall
remain nameless) thats a big time trap on sundays type of
place, yelled at a friend of mine for using the pistol range...
because they were having a POKER game in the clubhouse and
didn't like the noise! [laugh] He got pissed and never renewed
and never came back.

There are plenty of other clubs in MA that don't have this
restriction, IMO it is wise for people to vote with their dollars/time
if they're interested in anything beyond pulling the trigger once
every 5 seconds (or whatever meaningless interval they assign).

-Mike

I'm thinking of the Harvard club myself. It's 40 minutes away, but I'm getting more unhappy with Woburn Sportsman's Association by the month, even though it's ony a 15 minute drive for me. .

Went last night and was voted in. Seems like a great bunch of guys ( and ladies ). The club really looked good, much better that some I have been at. Sunday is the safety briefing with tour of all the ranges and club offerings. I meet the guy who runs the IDPA for the club, Michael, he was very pleasant to speak with and I am going to look into going to the practice meeting and perhaps go to some of the local IDPA matches.

I to passed on joining 2-3 clubs that were much closer to my home, but it has been said many many times on the forum, just because its close does not mean its best. Pick a club that has the facilities (ranges or rules) that appeal to you then narrow down your other criteria from there - Distance, costs etc.
The are offering a discount on the membership rate due to the fact it is September and dues are due in February 08 for the following year. They are suppose to be 150 initiation fee and 150 membership fee and 10 key card refundable. I got out last night for $250.00 for everything and for the remainder of the year. The year after your first year they waive the initiation fee.

Bruce

Problem solved

I have no use for clubs where some guy who was drinking stumbles
out of the clubhouse and stammers "YEW BOY IZ RAPID FIRIN!
DATS AGAINST DA RULES! SCHTOPPIT!"

-Mike

Well since HSC is a 'dry' club you will never have that problem!
Bill

Dry as in "no booze, period".

Yes, dry as a bone. As a member of the board we stress that we don't even allow it on the property. Swing by the packy on the way home from the range, not on the way to the range. That is what I do, there is a good one down the street. Great beer selection. I've been a member for about 8 years and there has been 0 problems with drinking. Being a dry club is one of the most common reasons for joining HSC stated by new members. Welcome to HSC!

I agree, I was a guest at a club (will not name the club) and I can recall sighting a rifle in and seeing a member of the club wander out to the shooting line set a beer down on the table and start un-casing a rifle. At that point I packed up and left and have not returned ever again. (for context this was around 1994 (not that it matters though).

I am new to this club --- I like to refer to it as a shooting complex with so many ranges to choose from to match your shooting needs. But I can tell you I am 110% happy with my choice.
Bruce

Being dry is a great feature. I have no desire to join a range that has a bar located there and you just happen to also shoot. Although, I didn't join Harvard, but Westford instead, since it's closer to me. Harvard sounds like a great choice too.

My opinion of the Harvard Gun club

I think these guys are great. My brither and I cooked there last year and this year for the regional CAS weekend. Most everyone knows my brother Garret "Slowhand" Wade. They run a good shoot.[smile]

How many of you guys who oppose gun clubs who happen to allow alcohol on grounds have actually had experience with them?

I belong to two clubs. One has a bar on the grounds, the other does not but it does allow alcohol to be drunk by members (BYOB) so long as they do not go back to shoot. I've been member of the former for a year and the latter for three. NEVER have I had an issue with any unsafe shooter, alcohol related or not.

How many of you guys who oppose gun clubs who happen to allow alcohol on grounds have actually had experience with them?

I belong to two clubs. One has a bar on the grounds, the other does not but it does allow alcohol to be drunk by members (BYOB) so long as they do not go back to shoot. I've been member of the former for a year and the latter for three. NEVER have I had an issue with any unsafe shooter, alcohol related or not.

Every club I've been a member of (which amounts to 3) all served
alcohol at one point or another, or allowed it. Only ever really had
a problem with one of them- this guy came up to the range sauced
with a shotgun, but as soon as he heard us up there shooting, he
turned around and decided not to shoot- probably because he
knew he was sauced. (who knows?) There was also another
guy I ran into that I smelled booze on there, that came up to
shoot... he didn't seem to be unsafe, but I promptly packed my shit
up and left. I dumped my membership at that place because they
closed the range for like half a year so I didn't have much a use for
it anyways.

My post was mainly a tounge in cheek, satirical stab at some of the
clubs in MA where the bar appears to be more important than
the shooting activity, and at the same time, a poke at the ones
with the silly, irrational rules. The people that have been to
these places know what I'm talking about.

I realize that many clubs serve/allow booze and don't have any
problems with it, it's certainly not unfathomable if people have
their head screwed on straight. Hell, the swiss serve alcohol
at just about every shooting club in their country. For me,
though, it's not a huge value add, but I won't cross a club off for
it, either.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom