• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally finished my scoped my SKS project

SKS Ray

NES Member
It was a long and stressed task starting out last night with failure because I couldn't drill through the Chinese SKS steel. After doing much reading and some posting on the SKS boards regarding this particular mount, I had success today!

100_1497.jpg

100_1496.jpg

100_1499.jpg

I'll sight it in tomorrow after work. If all goes well I plan on bringing it to the Mansfield shoot. I said I was bringing all black rifles, I didn't say I wouldn't bring an SKS.[smile]

Nice looking SKS Ray! I am not very knowledgeable on the SKS platform, but that barrel looks a bit longer than most. Is it really longer, and if so what variant of SKS is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I really like the stock and the small tactical scope you added, looks BADA$$! If it shoots as good as it looks you will have one hell of a rifle!

Nice looking SKS Ray! I am not very knowledgeable on the SKS platform, but that barrel looks a bit longer than most. Is it really longer, and if so what variant of SKS is it, if you don't mind me asking?

The reason it looks longer is because the bayonet lug was removed during importation. Its one of the Norincos that got caught up during the AWB and had to be neutered. The longer look is just an illusion because when an SKS has all the right parts it looks more compact compared to the one in my pic.

been thinking of that scope mount myself....Question, Does it have enough room to get the reciever cover off with out removal? Also how well is the mount itself made. I also have been tossing the idea of the side rail type mount like the AKs

been thinking of that scope mount myself....Question, Does it have enough room to get the reciever cover off with out removal? Also how well is the mount itself made. I also have been tossing the idea of the side rail type mount like the AKs

I researched a lot of SKS mount info and settled on the Choate mount because both the stock and muzzle brake for SKS rifles Ive used from them are great products. Plus at the time it was the only drill and tap mount I could find. I've had this mount for a few years and just now got the guts to install it.

Drilling and tapping a receiver isn't an easy job for someone with average skills for tinkering on guns. It takes patience and the right tools. A drill press with a vise is a must IMO, as well as quality drill bits for a pilot hole before using the #28 drill bit that comes with the Choate mount kit. I read a lot of posts from people that have drilled crooked holes, broken taps, etc.
I like the idea of 4 screws on the Choate mount. At least this way if you screw one up you have 3 more or at the least 2 which is what many people use.

The biggest issue aside from drilling and tapping is finding the correct alignment with the bore. If you just eye ball the mount and start drilling, there is a chance you won't be lined up. When I did this build, I attached the scope mount using one hole, snugged it to the receiver, and mounted the scope. Then I went oustide and boresighted the rifle using a laser bore sighter, the iron sights, and looking through the bore itself. I shifted the mount so I'd have minimal adjustments to make on the scope and then scribed and center punched the holes where they needed to be to keep the mount at that position.

One thing you can do with this mount to make sure take down and re-assembly are good to go is to clamp it to the receiver at the height you want it to be and then try to field strip the receiver area. At the height mine is, its tight but it works, and the Choate stock has a riser thats set up for use with scopes so all is well.

very good....I personally have no problems with this type of work. GREAT drill bits and proper drill speed are a must. I did my AK side rail on my polytech. That had some hardass metal also for stamped steel!!!!!! My work space is stupid small. I have to fight with the heater/oil tank/hotwater tank and all my Sh*&......finished basements suck. I am slowly takeing over a not so used section of the finished basement.

Using this mount must be like night and day compared to the scope mounts that replaces the rear cover ?

Drill and tap mounts are the only ones that will definitely hold zero where as receiver cover, gas tube, or even rear sight mounts will shift eventually. Only bad thing is I'm using an NC Star compact scope. Its not the best quality but not the worst. Finding a short compact rifle scope thats well made has always been a challenge. Anything longer than the scope I have on there and I'd need a shell deflector since the casings eject sometimes almost straight up.

Back
Top Bottom