• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally cleaned gun for first time

Not really sure why I waited this long to do so. I guess I was somewhat intimidated with the whole notion of taking it apart, cleaning properly, and reassembling. I've had the supplies to clean it for a little while now but couldn't build up the courage to go through with it. Finally grew a pair of balls and took care of it tonight, and am pretty pleased with the results. Won't find out how well I did till Thursday when I can get back out to the range, but after watching a few videos I think I got it down. It was very therapeutic, and I feel as though I won't wait to put another 600 or so rounds through till I clean it again

An SR9 ???....................You Rookie! [laugh]Oh well, I guess you have to start somewhere.Next time try detail stripping a lever action rifle. [wink]
You're exactly correct, complete rookie over here. But I wanted to start with something relatively inexpensive till I got my feel wet. I am open to suggestions on my next handgun, which might turn out becoming my carry firearm

Cleaning my guns is my "me time". I enjoy every second, clean em once every week or two. Usually Sunday during the 1pm game. Gun will start to hate you if you don't keep her clean, she'll miss on purpose!

This is one of those reasons I'm glad I joined the army; they force you to develop good habits, like cleaning your weapon at every opportunity after use. If I shoot anything, I just don't feel right until I've got it fully stripped and cleaned.

I enjoy cleaning, but I have to say that cleaning a Glock, IMHO, is pointless. First, they don't care if they are clean, they still shoot, and second, one day I put about 600 rounds of Tula, Blazer, and UMC through it and when I stripped it, I got hardly anything out of it. The muzzle had a bit of carbon buildup, but the gun was surprisingly clean.

AR's and 10/22's, on the other hand, those things get dirty sitting in their cases.

I enjoy cleaning, but I have to say that cleaning a Glock, IMHO, is pointless. First, they don't care if they are clean, they still shoot, and second, one day I put about 600 rounds of Tula, Blazer, and UMC through it and when I stripped it, I got hardly anything out of it. The muzzle had a bit of carbon buildup, but the gun was surprisingly clean.

AR's and 10/22's, on the other hand, those things get dirty sitting in their cases.

Sounds about right. I clean my guns every third or fourth range trip, which equates out to about every 4 or 500 rounds. When I bought my 1911 though...that was something else. I have never seen metal "bleed" carbon before. Run patches through it until they stop picking up carbon, wait a few minutes and then a fresh patch would pull more carbon. Finally gave up and oiled the thing and put it up.

On the other hand, all the cleaning in the world will not help you if you are not thorough! Didn't know the plate on the back slid off to remove the extractor and firing pin... I pushed a ball of carbon out of the extractor and pulled a lot of crap out of the firing pin hole...I'm guessing that might have some effect on the occasional stovepipe and light strike that it was giving me, even after cleaning. Holbrook shoot, some of you might remember my national match acting like a douche and having trouble; I think I figured out why. Won't make that mistake again, that's for damned sure.

I almost feel guilty posting this................NOT
I introduced a good friend to shooting back in the middle of the summer and he has since taken the course and now is just waiting on his LTC. Anyway since he has been shooting with me once a week I told him he needs to learn to CLEAN them! I haven't cleaned a gun since July or so. [laugh] I just needed to show him how to strip and reassemble. Unfortunately it looks like he will be picking up his LTC Saturday so I'm going to have to introduce someone new to the sport soon because I have become spoiled!

Some people clean them, some people don't.

My stainless revolver and my 1911 get cleaned everytime I shoot them. My 22's not so much.

My father in law takes down and cleans all his shotguns and rifles about once a month, whether he shoots them or not. His 22 revolver on the other hand has never been cleaned, had also not been fired much before I took up shooting. He knows nothing about handguns in general so unfortunately he was no help when I bought my sr9

An SR9 ???

....................You Rookie! [laugh]

Oh well, I guess you have to start somewhere.

Next time try detail stripping a lever action rifle. [wink]

...or a CZ82. How many parts can one cram into a midsized semi auto pistol...[shocked]

the more you do it the easier it gets. I bring a lot of guns when I shoot so i had to become good at it because otherwise it would take me all day to break em all down and clean em.

I fiel strip and clean/lube after every range trip. I leave the detail stripping and cleaning with ultrasound to a gunsmith/armorer. I just don't have the nerve for the small parts cleaning. Barrel, slide, main spring, and frame (whatever can be cleaned), and back in the holster she goes.

I just cleaned my SR.22 after about 100 rounds from the other day. It wasn't that dirty, but I was thinking, is Hoppes # 9 solvent enough? It's basically kerosene which is about the same as #2 fuel oil.

Back
Top Bottom