• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally, buying my first handgun

It's crazy, had talked about firearms and gone to the range with a couple buddies for a while before finally going out and applying for my LTC. Few weeks later I get my LTC Class A with NR and its now 5 months later and still didn't pick anything up![shocked] Kind of mad at my self but life's been going on.

Recently moved and to my pleasant surprise found out First Defense Firearms is right down the street and seems like its got some good reviews. Gonna go in this week after work some time and talk with them and hopefully I'll walk out with a nice 9mm. Already got a safe via the web in preparation so I'm finally ready.

Sorry, don't know the real purpose of my post but everyone seems nice in this community and just wanted to share my excitement. I suppose if anyone has any ideas on a first hand gun i'm all ears. Using for mostly home defense and range fun for now (why I'm leaning toward 9mm, will buy a carry gun probably later down the road.

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
Did you get your LTC in Grafton? I'm sorry, it just sounds like you got your LTC NR in one town and then moved to Grafton... just making sure you know you need to re up in whatever town you move to.

You a member of any clubs? You're close to me and I have a sig in 9mm and one in 45 if you wanna give em a try before you buy.

Congratz!

Last edited:
First Defense is a great shop, I'm sure you'll do well there.

You don't need a purpose, you're just talking to your shooting friends, us, about your future plans. I still remember my first handgun purchase years ago. Your head spins with the choices doesn't it? Back in the day there wasn't any communities like this to ask questions, he'll, there wasn't even personal computers then. Anyway, enjoy the selection process.

Did you get your LTC in Grafton? I'm sorry, it just sounds like you got your LTC NR in one town and then moved to Grafton... just making sure you know you need to re up in whatever town you move to.

You a member of any clubs?

Congratz!

I have sent out the appropriate notice to all 3 parties via certified mail (kudos to you for making sure and helping out!)

Not a member of any clubs yet, I've spent some time at AFS in North Attleborough I do plan on finding something in the near future

Last edited:
Congrats! Buying your 1st gun is awesome! Then your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.......[rofl] Enjoy. I will also let you try stuff out. I have an 9mm, and 45 and a couple others.

Hi. I live in Grafton, and just got my first handgun last month. S&W M&P9c, bought at First Defense. Great shop with super people. I too waited a long time. Applied for my LTC-A right after our illustrious President got elected. Wanted to make sure I could, before that a**h*** decides we can't. Whatever. A year later I got a shotgun and started hunting (got a 5pt buck 1,000 yards from home right here in Grafton). Took awhile to figure out I wanted a handgun, and work on the spousal acceptance of the inevitable (I get my way a lot, but hear about it). I just re-joined at North Grafton Fish Game & Bird club, which has pistol & rifle ranges, and what was the trap/skeet range is now an archery range. (There are no actual fish or birds). If you want to go shooting, PM me. If you're still trying to decide which 9mm, you could try mine. Northbridge Wal*Mart has the best selection of target ammo at the best prices. Get your PD ammo at First Defense.

Last edited:
I'm from Blackstone too. Recently moved to Hopkinton.

First Defense is a great shop. I got my first pistol there, a Ruger Mark 3 22/45.

Good luck. Whatever you get, just make sure you enjoy it!

- HP

I'll definitely have to check out the North Grafton Fish and Game - good to know there is a club so close by

And yeah I'm sure once I get the first I'll be gathering a collection pretty quick, thats probably why (subconsciously) I haven't bought my first yet [rofl] I'll keep my wallet open haha

Can I go to North Grafton Fish and Game and rent a gun and shoot without membership? (AFS I could but looking around doesn't seem the norm) Of course I'd join if a good club and once I get my first gun.

there is no rental counter or anything like that. Just two shooting houses. You can shoot from inside or in front of either to the outside ranges. You would need to go as a guest, or email the club (address at the website -- http://www.northgraftonfgb.org/) to arrange a tour, or just show up at the next meeting - 7pm on the first Thursday of the month. There's a place down in Attleboro, or up in Manchester NH where you can go rent one of their guns, pay for a lane & a box of ammo, and have at it. There aren't many others anymore...

Sorry, don't know the real purpose of my post ...

Since when does posting something on the internet require a purpose? ;p

Congratulations on your first purchase. There are lots of nice 9mm models out there. I'm a fan of Glocks and Sigs, personally, though there are many other nice ones.

You have real self-discipline. After months of window-shopping, the day my ticket came in I went directly to GFA and started filling the safe. A word of warning, though maybe not necessary: If you are reasonably well-financed and/or like to keep well-stocked ammo supply, you might find that if you got a 14-gun or smaller safe, you will need to upgrade pretty soon.

Thanks for everyone's comments

Update - So after 5+ months I finally pick up my first gun, a M&P9 from First defense firearms in Uxbridge (awesome shop btw - employees were extremely friendly and helpful, I will definitely be back)

Love the feel of this gun and can't wait to go shooting

Great news and NR, perfect. You have done yourself a favor holding off. My first was a piece I had always wanted for years. If you can take the time to shoot as many different handguns as possible you may fall in love with a particular style / brand /caliber, then it is easy to decide. Then you can start on number 2 then three then four. It is a condition, with no known cure.
Even my wife caught it, bad. "all I am getting is the Kimber in SS" she said all the while waiting on her pistol permit. Not long after the Kimber she added three more. Now I have it made cause she understands the addiction. She is a good shot too. Very fun to shoot with.

Ah, don't we all remember our first time. My first was a beautiful Sig 226 SAS. She was a looker with her two-tone. She was very curvaceous but had no hang-ups (anti-snag SAS). She felt good, real good in my hands and loved it when I took her to the club, loaded her up, and worked a few rounds through her. She always enjoyed a good smoke after that. She was a really good bang at .40 cal and could really hold my load with 3 10 round mags. She was easy, real easy, to field strip and loved it when I kept her well lubed and ready for action. I still have her and take her out now and then for a good bang, but alas, I share my affections with another, a Walther PPS. She's super slim (I love em that way) and likes to hang out in my pocket, and come with me everywhere, but that's a story for another time. [grin]

Last edited:
You can't rent much of anything at N. Grafton. Happy to take you down for a visit and putting holes in paper. I have a few you could try if you are so inclined. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom