• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally, after cold, snow, busy work; got to christen the backyard range

GM-GUY

NES Member
So, no issues or complaints from neighbors. I called the PD gave them a heads up and no visits.

Issues, my son is a lefty - not political, dexterity wise. So his crazy dad built him a left handed 308 AR upper (DPMS style).

10 Rd PMAG LRs needed some dremel action on the front end to clear the extension (down to the first set of nubs so 1/4” or so)

Played with the Odin adj gas block to get lock back on empty.

No ejection !!!! Sits in the chamber. So during clean tonight I found some burrs in the ejector hole and tight - little drill action.

The extractor has a taper at the base of the claw, did some light filing.

Loaded a test round and pulled back the charging handle, shell spits right out now.

Confirm function and finalize zero tomorrow.

Then my daughter spends some time with the S&W15-22 and steel at 50yds

Attachments

• 2ECE7F59-EE58-4F63-9397-F4C310E71FA1.jpeg
    2ECE7F59-EE58-4F63-9397-F4C310E71FA1.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Very nice. I’m jealous.
I had to settle for resurrecting my air rifle range in my yard.

It’s hung up, not in line with bullet paths but cutting a hung up tree is temping fate. When it gets dryer, I can get my tractor out there and knock it out easier than with just the saw.

1587516178226.jpeg
I set up for 50yd under the poll line about 3/8mi from my house - owned by my NH homeowners association with an easement to the PowerCo. They were out cutting trees the last two days and I asked if they wanted me to move my bench and they said nah, they see them everywhere they cut. Nothing but swamp downhill for backstop. I only shoot 22lr suppressed so no noise to bother my neighbors.

New addition to my range came in today.
I’ll put it up when the rain stops along with 4 more signs - I didn’t get a chance this weekend.

Amazon 1/2”. AR500

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
What kind of steel is that? I've been buying 3/8" AR500 targets from a source on ebay. Currently I have 2, I am looking (I have it on the watchlist) at a 24" gong. I have a huge old skidder tire that I'm going to hang it in. The tire will hold all of the spall.
The 24" I'm watching on ebay is only $179 shipped. I have no idea what these things actually cost, but I also don't have a means to build one out of raw sheet steel.
You can see both my targets in use here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTjaJsnCps
and here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLJ8O-wU3r0

RC

No trees in line to have it face the firing position so I built a stand.

In case ‘Remote Camper’ missed the edit:
Steel is from Amazon AR500, 1/2”. 6”. They were out of 8” when I ordered and hoping our local guys feeler will come back after the foolishness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 9
Steel works great, my son and I were trying out from under the deck today in a standing position with a support I built and screwed on to the post. He was hitting that 6" consistent at 100m with an 4x32 ACOG chevron and his left handed upper from Minuteman.

I re-zeroed and confirmed function on mine (S&W M&P Optics Ready Compliant) after sending out my 4x32 ACOG donut for a re-lamp, a BCG button upgrade (Phase 5), Geissele Trigger swap (from my OBR when they started selling MBTs) and an increase in buffer weight from std to H1. Works just fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 7
My daughter got her AR this weekend as her grandfather came over and I don’t know if he’ll come for her birthday later this month as she is having some friends over (13yo on the 26th). So I got her on the gun, set the scope level and eye relief. This was her today: (yes, a 5.56 using a 223 wylde chamber, match grade barrel)

Attachments

• D87AA28D-93D7-4334-B5A9-2E509D78662A.jpeg
    D87AA28D-93D7-4334-B5A9-2E509D78662A.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom