• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fin m91

My question is, how does she shoot? From what I've been reading (and I'm just getting started), the Finns made one of the most accurate Mosin rifles out there. Would love to hear your (and others as well) opinion on that...

My question is, how does she shoot? From what I've been reading (and I'm just getting started), the Finns made one of the most accurate Mosin rifles out there. Would love to hear your (and others as well) opinion on that...

Put it this way, the Finnish knew a thing or two about accuracy and how to achieve it. Many SA stamped rifles come in with paper shims here and there and should be left where they're found when taking down and cleaning a new Finn property rifle.

The Finns were well known for the quality of their rifles. Even during war time they understood the importance of the riflemen and his rifle.

As Ray stated if you find shims be careful to replace them as you found them. Also like any surplus rifle the bore condition has a great deal to do with accuracy. If this rifle was previously owned by someone who didn't clean the rifle after shooting surplus corrosive ammunition the bore could be pitted. This would be a real shame[sad]

Just keep in mind these battle rifles were designed for 200 meters and not 100 meters. I read many posts of folks complaining their rifles shoot high at a 100 meters. Also Finn rifles are picky sometimes about what weight projectile you use. Some shoot heavy ball like tack drivers while others like light ball. Take a selection of different weight ammo to the range with you and see which your rifle does best with. I have a 1899 SA marked 91 Mosin that will produce 3 inch groups at 200 with heavy ball. If I use light ball ...well lets say it looks like a shotgun blast on the target after 20 rounds.

Also shooting at 25 or 50 yards is really no indication of how the rifle will perform. Try a few shots at 50 yards to see where you are hitting but move out to at least 100 yards to see what it will really do.

Either way I think you will be very happy with your Finn rifle. Now the real fun begins, a M39, M28, M27 and so on[smile]

Last edited:
Put it this way, the Finnish knew a thing or two about accuracy and how to achieve it. Many SA stamped rifles come in with paper shims here and there and should be left where they're found when taking down and cleaning a new Finn property rifle.

All my finnish mosins 91/30 captured russian rifles have what it appears to be stainless steel shims in the stock between the receiver and the wood stock. Your right becareful when taking it aprt to clean it. The finnish armory gunsmiths would shoot and adjust the finnish mosins till they shot 1" moa's then and then only the mosins would go into service.

Does anyone have a front post that was "Stretched" for lack of a better term?

I put a little piece of black shrink-wrap tubing on my 91/30 to make it a little taller so I didn't have to hold the bottom frame of the target at 100 yards. I suppose you could do the same with a piece of coffee stirrer straw if you don't have any tubing handy.

55_grain

It does have a globe front sight, but the post has been stretched. It is flat in back and has visible tool marks. It is about 1/16" longer than my other front posts on 91/30's. It is also thinner than a standard post at the top. I bought this rifle a few years ago from the importer, so bubba never got his hands on it. The rifle is very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom