• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Filling the last lost piece in the collection; range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Notice I didn't say "final". Many collecting years left, but I've now happy where things are with all the recent selloffs. Replaced the Colt Detective I let go last year. Found this on GunBroker and made an offer that was accepted. Not sure if it was refinished at some point, but it is in great shape for 1937; Sn. 474K. Seller's pics.

t

Attachments

• pix013424407.jpg
    pix013424407.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 113
  • pix194231183.jpg
    pix194231183.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 102
  • pix416627149.jpg
    pix416627149.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 101
  • pix854132047.jpg
    pix854132047.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 102
  • pix907961021.jpg
    pix907961021.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 101
  • pix969173978.jpg
    pix969173978.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sign is up; that we're moving is official. But don't know where yet...

T

Attachments

• IMG_4575.JPG
    IMG_4575.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 55
Our first choice was NH between Concord and Laconia. But as Spencer is in residential care, we have to stay in state for that level of care. Did a drive by in a decent one outside of New Bedford, and there is one in Taunton and one in Wareham.

t

Part of the moving sale is my wife's Mustang....I'm trying to talk her out of it....but she'd like to use the money towards the down payment and central air conditioning. She promises to get something a little bigger in the future when things are better; that is if we find a 2 car garage. A little hard in our price range.

Got a magnetic bumper sticker for my '55.

t

1967 Mustang

IMG_4581.jpg

Part of the moving sale is my wife's Mustang....I'm trying to talk her out of it....but she'd like to use the money towards the down payment and central air conditioning. She promises to get something a little bigger in the future when things are better; that is if we find a 2 car garage. A little hard in our price range.

Got a magnetic bumper sticker for my '55.

t

1967 Mustang

View attachment 226976
its only fun with a one port master cylinder and a failed brake line....

Buy a large garage and build a bedroom in the loft!

My wife was in the Hospital Saturday when the Colt came. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Open House today...may be a potential buyer. Looked at three in New Bedford...we see one of them Wednesday.

Mustang - Rabbit Seal of Approval.

t

IMG_4586.jpg

New family photo with the arrival of my Detective special

*M17 D.A. 45; Army SN 41014 - one of 2,400 in a weekly shipment to the Government on March 9, 1918
*1917 M1911; delivered to Springfield November 23, 1917
*Colt Detective Special; 1937
*M08 .380; shipped to a hardware store in Boston, May 1915
*M08 .25; October 1918
*M03 .32; December 1920, as carried by a U.S. Tank sergeant as a backup piece to his 1911A1

t

IMG_4589.jpg

Last edited:
Took the '55 out for a set of errands, and then to be fair, took the Mustang out for a second trip. It hadn't been out of the barn for awhile; I felt sorry for it as my wife doesn't drive it much.

t

Last edited:
IMG_4608.JPG Got my new carry piece to the range. 56F, breezy, cool, overcast, passing drizzle. 24 rounds of my carry ammo; Winchester Silver Tips, 110gr/945fps. Distance 40 feet. What a great shooter.

T

Time to expand advertising beyond NES for the Mustang. I haven't sold a car for years...suggestions as to where/how to list it?

t

We just accepted an offer on our house, so Phase I is complete. Phase II, find a place to live in the next 30 days is next....

t

Putting an offer in on a small 1925 Cape in the SW suburbs of New Bedford tomorrow...2 car garage, city water and sewer, newer roof and windows, and vinyl siding.

t

ISyngon3zs361k0000000000.jpg

Time to expand advertising beyond NES for the Mustang. I haven't sold a car for years...suggestions as to where/how to list it?

ebay. I sold a car on there before and it went great. Make the buyer responsible for transportation and expect 10% commission to ebay and 3% to paypal. Let it run at least 10 days and end on a weekend evening. Include LOTS of good quality pics

t
I sold a 69 Shelby GT500 a few years ago.... two ways will get you a buyer: list it on Hemmings Motor News or put it up on E-Bay, list the Buy It Now price at your ideal price or above, and put a Reserve on it that you would actually take..... then.... it won't sell, but serious buyers will contact you and you will sell it without paying a commission.

Whether Hemmings, Ebay or both, post lots of high quality pictures and give lots of info in the description.

Is it a "numbers matching" car? If yes, then post pics that prove it: example: date code stamp on engine block. It's a pain in the ass but will get your car to sell.

Also.... DO NOT physically release the car until funds clear your acount. If it's a big bucks car, insist on a wire transfer bank-to-bank. Funds typically clear in 3 days, but wait 10 days before you release the car.

My buyer flew to Mass from Indiana and bought it on the spot. I arranged transport for him but he paid for it. ( Interstate transport of high end cars is typically brokered and is a racket.)

Good luck.... I'm sure letting that car go hurts, but like you my sale was part of moving to a new phase in life and it was for the best.

Where is the date code stamp on the block?
t
Not an easy answer to that question.... depends on the car. My car had a 428 Cobra Jet. If your car has a 289 or 302, the location will be different. But there are people on the internet who live and breathe this stuff. Check some mustang forums. The info is out there. And some forum will tell you exactly where to look. There are various date codes all over the car; rear end, transmission, sometimes fenders. Look under carpets and seats for "build sheets". Probably not there, but car will sell for more if you find one. Consider getting a Marti Report or Emminger Docs for your car (if they exist.) VIN decoders on line will let you know if a previous owner changed the color of your car... rare or popular colors bring more money.... if that was the original color.

Don't rush. Do some research on YOUR car before you sell it

Oh yeah.... I almost forgot.... DO NOT take your car to Barrett Jackson, Mecum, Russo&Steele etc. The only people who make money there are professionals/friends of the aucton houses. Little guys selling their "Babys" get totally screwed.

Haha..... You're on it..... You don't need my help. Sounds like a nice car. Please update when it sells.

Back
Top Bottom