• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fighter planes over Metrowest

I do have a problem with this. Thousands in taxpayer dollars are being spent to augment an entertainment performance being put on not for the public good, but to make money for those selling the entertainment. Why should I pay to subsidize this activity?

Lighten up Francis. Like others have pointed out, it's part of regular training. And you cannot buy that kind of recruiting publicity. That's the sole purpose of the Blue Angels.....I've never been to one of their shows and not thought how awesome it would be to do that.....I wonder how many little boys or girls were at gilette today that had that thought!

If I could check a box on my taxes to pay for more fighter jet training over my house I would check it twice!!

Yea, it's all training stick time they would have had to do anyway to maintain qualifications, might as well get some on national TV.

Chinese paratroops dropping into Spencer, MA....
Heard this on Free America Radio this afternoon: The Chair is Against the Wall, The Chair is Against the Wall.
reddawnlead.jpg

Think they also use it as a "time over target" drill. Be at point X at such-and-such a time. May be just a weak excuse to do what you said, but thats what I had read somewhere.
This is how it was explained by my dad. Also said tbey play games with fuel management. Either way it does not matter big money gets to play with .gov toys. Yet we cant get a decent showing of US armed forces gear and troops in the 4th of july parade s?

While the flyovers are part of regular training budgets - the military does PAY the NFL for the right to have honor guards and other public display presentations at games. Part of their recruitment/advertising budget.

The Pentagon paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million to 'salute troops'

Nice low flyover in Mendon on the way out. Approx 1:04pm. We had a good one on the first home game too while I was outside washing cars. It was awesome. I'll remember to get my camera ready last year.

jets.jpg

Two of the intruders. They flew over the cuckoos nest known as the 'ham several times. I thought they were after me for a while!

Pic was taken around 12:50pm but they'd made several passes already in the previous 20 minutes. I suppose they were "hanging around" until it was time to fly over the game.

I tried to get a video on one of the passes but all I got was the noise. Tree branches and crappy camera prevented a good shot.

I like watching them do their turns right over metro west before games... no complaints here

How flyovers hit their exact marks at games

"The request:
As Berentson explains, a team or league that wants a military flyover must fill out a government form called DD2535, which is a “request for military aerial support” for a specific date. Once submitted, the request must be approved by the Federal Aviation Administration -- essentially saying it’s safe to conduct a flyover at the time and site -- before it goes to the headquarters of the branch of service that has been requested for the flyover. If the request is deemed eligible, the team or league must then find a squadron willing to do a flyover.

This is important because typically flyovers are considered part of a unit’s training requirement. Pilots need so many hours in the air to stay current in their qualifications, says Berentson, so flyovers are incorporated.

“It becomes another training mission, essentially,” says Berentson.

For that reason, the cost of flyovers is part of the military budget -- not paid for by a sports team or league -- unless special circumstances dictate that the team must pay for the cost of fuel (in an area of scarcity, for instance).

As far as the military is concerned, it’s a win-win: good training time (that pilots would have needed anyway) and good PR. For fans, there’s something special about seeing a jet, bomber or formation of helicopters directly overhead."

This- training and good PR / recruitment advertising. AOK by me

I live in Mansfield. I heard the jets at 12:40. Then again at 1:02. I usually hear them before a game but never twice.

The timing over my house matched right up with the 1PM game start time.

I do have a problem with this. Thousands in taxpayer dollars are being spent to augment an entertainment performance being put on not for the public good, but to make money for those selling the entertainment. Why should I pay to subsidize this activity?

First the kneeling is unpatriotic, then patriotic fly overs cost you too much? Tough crowd.

To play devil’s advocate, the US military is showing its strength and raw power to recruit more people to serve.

I'm totally good with this right up until the point they refuse to do the same for a local high school game.

No idea how the ANG does it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done. It's all about scheduling. I know the ARNG has done static displays with helicopters at schools which obviously include flying and landing them there. As others have stated... hours need to be flown (and will be paid for and flown anyway) by pilots, so all about lining up whatever needs to be lined up to make something like that happen. More often than not I'd bet it's a who you know kind of thing, IE if a pilot wants to file a flight plan and fly over his kids school when they happen to being playing a game, as long as all else is good and it falls in line with the rest of his training requirements I'd bet it could and does happen.

I'm sure there is red tape and logistics hurdles, but a lot of this stuff is probably less impossible than you may think.

The whole having to pay the NFL to "advertise" while the NFL pretends to be all patriotic is pretty funny... I find the NFL as an organization to be pretty gross.

Mike

I remember a fly by up at loudon 15 plus years ago at the nascar race. 2- B2 bombers at full afterburner at fly by, it was unreal.
The B2 is a mean looking plane.
I also miss seeing the constant fighter jet activity overhead when the Weymouth Airbase was open back in the day, as a kid it was very awe inspiring.

No idea how the ANG does it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done. It's all about scheduling. I know the ARNG has done static displays with helicopters at schools which obviously include flying and landing them there. As others have stated... hours need to be flown (and will be paid for and flown anyway) by pilots, so all about lining up whatever needs to be lined up to make something like that happen. More often than not I'd bet it's a who you know kind of thing, IE if a pilot wants to file a flight plan and fly over his kids school when they happen to being playing a game, as long as all else is good and it falls in line with the rest of his training requirements I'd bet it could and does happen.

I'm sure there is red tape and logistics hurdles, but a lot of this stuff is probably less impossible than you may think.

The whole having to pay the NFL to "advertise" while the NFL pretends to be all patriotic is pretty funny... I find the NFL as an organization to be pretty gross.

Mike

Pilots filing flight plans over stuff they know I've seen first hand. The F-15s, out of Barnes if I recall correctly, would fly over the ski area all the time. Often waving or doing insanely low passes. Supposedly one of the pilots grew up skiing there. Once they came over the top of our west quad while I was at the top terminal. I'm certain that someone standing on top of the bullwheel could have reached up and slapped the underside of one of the planes.

Please take my post you quoted at face value. If everyone is on an equal playing field, I don't see the problem with it.

Right over my house, noisy as heck. F18s or F22? I’m use to this on sundays. Any estimate on what this event costs? Where is the nearest air station?

F-15s out of Westover. There aren’t any F18s of F22s stationed anywhere near here — closest are probably Virginia.

I remember a fly by up at loudon 15 plus years ago at the nascar race. 2- B2 bombers at full afterburner at fly by, it was unreal.
The B2 is a mean looking plane.
I also miss seeing the constant fighter jet activity overhead when the Weymouth Airbase was open back in the day, as a kid it was very awe inspiring.

Afterburners on a B-2? I don't think so.

View attachment 264103

Two of the intruders. They flew over the cuckoos nest known as the 'ham several times. I thought they were after me for a while!

Pic was taken around 12:50pm but they'd made several passes already in the previous 20 minutes. I suppose they were "hanging around" until it was time to fly over the game.

I tried to get a video on one of the passes but all I got was the noise. Tree branches and crappy camera prevented a good shot.

goodfellas-copter.jpg

The flyovers are nothing compared to taxpayers building sports stadiums. I get opposition to the flyovers on principle, especially since the sportsball leagues have used 9/11 fear to close off the airspace to banner towing. Not allowed to advertise for free. For proper outrage look at how much taxpayers spend to build stadiums then you have something truly rage worthy.

They were probably thinking of a B-1

This^

I remember a Nascar race at Loudon back in the mid 2000's, when they had a flyover by single B1 flanked by two F-15's from the Vermont Air National Guard. They came in together low & slow, when they were over the track they went full throttle, the F-15's broke off and turned straight up with the afterburners spewing flames. Still one of the loudest things I've ever heard. Our ears were so numbed by that, when the race cars soon fired up, we thought they were running mufflers.

"The F-15 Eagles will fly in formation, serving as a symbol of air power and patriotism," said Tech. Sgt. Lindsey Watson-Kirwin, in a release announcing the event.
The flyover serves a dual purpose because it also provides a training opportunity for the pilots and ground crews, based at Barnes Air National Guard Base in Westfield., she said.

The 104th flies over my house all of the time. I love it. Now, the C-5s from Westover that rattle my windows--well, I guess I love that too.

Back
Top Bottom