Fighter Jets Crashes On Aircraft Carrier Caught On Tape

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I met a guy that that served on an Aircraft Carrier during Vietnam, and he told me they lost more planes during take offs and landings than they did over Vietnam!

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Every landing on a carrier if filmed for training or accident investigation. The video in the OP has sections that go back to the 1950s.
It's one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

jron

NES Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Took the tour on the USS Midway, Its really shocking to see all people who died and in different ways on board of the course of its service life.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I worked on and flew aircrew in the earlier version of these (E-2B) during the 70's. I was attached to the Forrestall and Nimitz for one cruise each. I was attached to VAW-116 (see avatar)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAW-116

The plane that has the Bicentennial paint on the rotodome in that Wiki page was done by a good friend of mine...that plane was one of four in my squadron.

Believe it or not, those missed/broken cable landings are not uncommon though this one was caused by a wrong setting on the cable brakes which caused the arresting cable to spool out to the ends with no braking action at all...regardless, I'm sure every crew member in that plane were cleaning their skivvies when they got to their staterooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

exojam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We had CAG land the F-14 he was in closer to the island side and the right wing went through every nose of the A-6E's and EA-6B's that were parked in front of the island on one of the West Pacs I did.

Not sure if he got in trouble since he was a Captain and CAG (Commander Air Group for those tired of acronyms).

Top Bottom