• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Field knife for deer hunting

What do you recommend? I know there is some really nice stuff out there, but it has to be under $100, and truthfully under $75 would be a better fit. Thanks!!!

I just use my Kershaw Leek folding knife. It holds a nice sharp edge. I do not like long blades for field dressing because I am usually doing it in the dark and I use my index finger near the blade to feel what I am cutting. Perfect example is when I hunting around in there for the tenderloin. Pete

If you only care about skinning/gutting a deer this is the one I recommend (a Schrade sharp finger).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sch...257353?hash=item1c91be6149:g:yUAAAOSwh7tZuZiO.

Been using them for thirty years and never have regretted it. They have been made in China for sometime and I would avoid those. If you can find one made in the USA, you will have something you can pass down to the next generation of hunters in your family. A used one can easily be had well under your price limit.

Dave

Buck 110. $40......with the nylon case. Recommend you go online and order a nice leather one.

I've had the same one since 1993. Been on my belt through 2 deployments to Iraq. Always with me in the woods. Field dressed many countless deer, hares, squirrels, pheasants, and even turkey. I'm a traditionalist......I only need one knife.

The buck 110 is American made and built to last forever.

If you prefer a fixed blade the Pathfinder buck is a good choice........like $75

Last edited:
You knife needs to to be
1) sharp
2) able to be re-sharpened
3) not break or fold back on your fingers while skinning and cutting.

You can spend anywhere from $20-infinity. I have used or seen used a $20 fixed blade kershaw, (bought on woot.com) a folding pocketknife for being in cabelas club for 10 years, and the outdoor edge replaceable blade system. I have another kershaw that has a light in it so you can use it as a flashlight, or gut a deer in the dark. (I have never used it for either, but it has a light in it, so it's neat).

I would get a fixed blade, you'll never get the deer guts out of the folding mechanism.

I love my outdoor edge system, with the swing blade. It cuts under the skin so you aren't also cutting the hairs while zipping the deer open. My set had a bone saw, swing blade, and drop point skinner. They now sell an option with replacement blades if sharpening knives isn't your thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another vote for buck 110. Gift from wife many years ago engraved with date and initials. (Needed engraving since so many guys in deer camp carried same thing. About half of us. ). I notch it with engraved line for each deer. Over 30 notches and going strong. Small enough to wield cutting esophagus and yet strong enough to break through chest. (Don't cut through chest if you want a mount done!)

+/- 4" drop point, fixed blade, stainless steel, with a hilt. Cold Steel Master Hunter is one example.

You definitely want a fixed knife as they are much easier to clear up afterwards as there is no groove and folding hinge to clean up.

You definitely want a drop point knife. When you are up in the cavity you don't want a really pointy knife like a clip point as you will tend to poke holes in things you don't want to like the stomach, bladder, or your fingers.

I have used a variety of knives over the 30+ years of hunting and the Grohmann #1 has been my favorite by far and it can be found for well under your $100.00 limit.

Bob

grohmann_1_knife.jpg

http://www.chuckhawks.com/grohmann_1_knife.htm

If you only care about skinning/gutting a deer this is the one I recommend (a Schrade sharp finger).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sch...257353?hash=item1c91be6149:g:yUAAAOSwh7tZuZiO.

Been using them for thirty years and never have regretted it. They have been made in China for sometime and I would avoid those. If you can find one made in the USA, you will have something you can pass down to the next generation of hunters in your family. A used one can easily be had well under your price limit.

Dave
+1, USA made schrade 152 old timers are perfect for field dressing, thats all I use.

i'm not a fan of folders for dressing game. too many nooks and crannies for bacteria to stash itself in. everyone says they clean their knives really well but check out some of your buddies folders used for field dressing, you'll most likely see gunk around the pivot pin. fixed blade for me. anyone you can afford that feels natural in your hand. you don't have to spend a fortune either to get a decent one.

I'm a big fan of the CRKT Freerange fixed blade. Can do a bit of everything and you don't walk around feeling like Rambo with a huge fixed blade on your gear.

It's discontinued, but you can find them online.

I'm also a fan of the Havalon Piranta knives, but they're better for field dressing versus doing larger scale work - if only that you can't torque the (replaceable) razor blades without them snapping.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm in the camp with a drop point inexpensive knife. Fixed blades are great and clean up easy. They are also easier to lose in my opinion, Especially if you walk a-lot.

I keep an expensive newer folder with a clip in my pocket or inside a Velcro closed sheath on my belt. If it gets lost its no great loss. If its sharp it will field dress a deer. Bone saws are a nice thing to have and decent folding saws are pack able as are some of those cheap hack saws gizmos. Don't buy junk but save money, buy more ammo and practice more.

Outdoor edge 100 game skinner. $65. Fixed blade. T handle. I like it the best because I can easily lay it flat against my wrist (sharp edge heading away from the direction my hand is going) as I reach up into the neck area to cut the wind pipe. It's all I've used for a long long time.

The Buck 110 is just what you need. You can buy them anywhere and Buck will repair it if it breaks and they will sharpen it for you if you send it back.

My brother used to love finding broken ones at yard sales. He'd buy them for .50 or $1, send them to Buck to be repaired and resell them for $25

th.jpg This is all I've ever used to field dress every deer I've ever taken. Cuts clean with zero effort. I carry 4 in a 35mm film container in my day pack.

You definitely want a fixed knife as they are much easier to clear up afterwards as there is no groove and folding hinge to clean up.

You definitely want a drop point knife. When you are up in the cavity you don't want a really pointy knife like a clip point as you will tend to poke holes in things you don't want to like the stomach, bladder, or your fingers.

I have used a variety of knives over the 30+ years of hunting and the Grohmann #1 has been my favorite by far and it can be found for well under your $100.00 limit.

Bob

This is what you want. I've used folders when I've had no other choice, but the Grohmann really is the perfect knife for field dressing. Murphy knives in Ayer makes a copy - USA made and cheaper than the Canadian Grohmann, about 50 bucks.

https://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/the-skinner-details.html

Last edited:
The last knife I used on a deer, and that was a long while ago, was a sears craftsman 4" lockblade. The knife did an excellent job, but was a pain to clean up.

The knife I carry now but have yet to use is a Buck Vanguard fixed blade. It's probably bigger than I need, but the blade is rugged and holds a really good edge.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-692BR-V...&qid=1506530963&sr=8-3&keywords=buck+vanguard

FWIW- A good blade is only as good as long as it is sharp. Learning to sharpen and maintain an edge is an important skill.

Don't forget a decent stone or sharpening system for that new knife.

I recently discovered and recommend the Schrade honesteel.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-HS1-Ho...=1506531053&sr=8-1&keywords=schrade+honesteel

I have used it on knives that I believed were dull and returned them to hair-shaving sharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1bcq1mgxcg

I'll be different than the Buck 110 crowd and say go with the Ranger model, the 112. It's the 110's little brother.

I have a 110 and 112. I broke the 112 a few decades ago, and then "fixed" the knife into a tanto blade. I realized how bad I effed this up, and sent it Buck saying I'd pay for a blade, as everything was my fault. Not only did they fix it free (which I honestly expected) it was back in my mailbox in a week (which I DID NOT expect).

I'll always go with a Buck. I have some good knives, and some expensive knives. But the best knife I've ever had has been the simple Buck folders.

i'm not a fan of folders for dressing game. too many nooks and crannies for bacteria to stash itself in. everyone says they clean their knives really well but check out some of your buddies folders used for field dressing, you'll most likely see gunk around the pivot pin. fixed blade for me. anyone you can afford that feels natural in your hand. you don't have to spend a fortune either to get a decent one.

Mine goes is 50/50 bleach and scalding hot water after. (No wood on it) Its clean.

I just use about a 3 1/4 inch buck folder, it has a saw, with a gut hook on the end, but most of the time I use just blade. Unless the deer has been sitting a little and is a bit blown up. Then I use the hook. Sometimes I use a saw on a big deer if it's kinda warm out, as I like to split the hams to get the meat cool, so I use the saw...or if the piss sac is full, its easier to get out.

The knife shaves hair before I put it in my kit everytime. Ive seen guys use a dull knife for gutting and it's an easy way to get stabbed, or cut, because your using too much force.

For around the butt a sharp scapel is nice to have it works great...or the butt out tool is OK if you loosen things from the inside before hand...just don't break the piss sac.

I'll be different than the Buck 110 crowd and say go with the Ranger model, the 112. It's the 110's little brother.

I have a 110 and 112. I broke the 112 a few decades ago, and then "fixed" the knife into a tanto blade. I realized how bad I effed this up, and sent it Buck saying I'd pay for a blade, as everything was my fault. Not only did they fix it free (which I honestly expected) it was back in my mailbox in a week (which I DID NOT expect).

I'll always go with a Buck. I have some good knives, and some expensive knives. But the best knife I've ever had has been the simple Buck folders.

I broke the tip off of mine and had the same customer service from Buck on my 110FG knife that I have had for 37 years. Their service is top notch for sure.

Bob

Buck customer service is the best. Broke the tip on my 25year old 110, 100% my fault and told them so. They replaced the blade cleaned buffed and waxed the whole knife.

They take a long time to resharpen if you let them get dull,i find a quick touch up on a diamond impregnated stone is the best way to keep a sharp edge.

Back
Top Bottom