• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID under 18 questions about possession

Hello my friends son recently just got his FID he is 17 years old. Behind his house is a lot of woods and he has an eberlestock backpack with rifle scabbard so he could theoretically carry a .22 concealed. Is he allowed to do that? I have heard different answers such as that you have to be 18 in order to do that. Please let me know

Also if hes just going to go plinking will that be allowed.

@LenS - Correct me if I'm wrong, please...
Capacity (even for juvenile FID holders) regs are explicitly waived in the case of tubefed rimfire?

Statutorily tube-fed .22RF is exempt from the large-capacity BS. Nothing else is statutorily exempt, although EOPS has "determined" that tube-fed shotguns are also exempt . . . but I'll agree with the naysayers that there is nothing in MGL that makes this so.

So to clarify hes allowed to used tube fed .22s?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

I would not call it "concealed"; Cased it the word that applies.

If persons cannot see inside the case, that's beside the point.

If he is in the woods, he could be considered to be "hunting" if an EPO felt like it - especially if the woods do not have a more-or-less dedicated range that he was using, or heading to.

Make sure that all setbacks are met, too, just in case a neighbor gets freaked, and drops a dime.

Legal is one thing....

Best of luck

The woods go back for miles, another couple of questions are, Could he legally just carry it just for protection when he camps there. Sorry for all these questions, I'm not knowledgeable at about some of these.

The woods go back for miles, another couple of questions are, Could he legally just carry it just for protection when he camps there. Sorry for all these questions, I'm not knowledgeable at about some of these.

Who owns the woods? Is it private property or is it something owned by DCR?

Think its owned by the water company/town

I don't think it would be too big of a deal as long as he kept in in the scabbard and hidden and only took it out if absolutely needed. Im just trying to see the legal aspect

Think its owned by the water company/town

I don't think it would be too big of a deal as long as he kept in in the scabbard and hidden and only took it out if absolutely needed. Im just trying to see the legal aspect

If he's going to go plinking, he had best be sure that he is legally able to shoot on that property first. What is he trying to defend himself against with a .22? If he's worried about bear or somesuch I don't think a .22 is going to be much use.

Carrying a long gun with the stated purpose of "protection" is an iffy proposition.

One may carry a uncased long gun on a public way only when lawfully engaged in hunting; one may not carry a loaded long gun within 150' of a public way (it says, IIRC "Hard surfaced" but what that means is open to interpretation), as one may not lawfully hunt within 150' of a public way.

If one is carrying a long gun, and one is not lawfully engaged in hunting, then it must be "cased"; you use the term "scabbard" - now, using the current Hunter Ed curriculum as a guide (since the woods is where you may find an EPO) there is a difference - a scabbard is open, where a case can be closed.

I would be very, very circumspect in using "public" land unless you are absolutely sure that there's no problem.

I know, Massprudence. [puke]

Case in point: the Town of Framingham was thrown into a tizzy a few years back, when a person requested permission from the Town to hunt on Town-owned land over by the women's prison, as required by Town by-law (no hunting without permission of landowner). Of course, they said, "NO!" but it was a bit of a problem for a bit, as nobody had ever thought of this. If it's Water Department, or another public/quasi-public entity tread carefully.

Man with a GUN in the WOODS is a hell of a catchy headline.....

[rolleyes]

IANAL, and all that.....

Last edited:
I for one often hunted by myself when I was under 18. I also took a shotgun on a bus with me before I had a license. I see nothing wrong with him possessing a LC rifle or shotgun for the purpose of self defense. Again, be careful of hunting regs etc.

Carrying a long gun with the stated purpose of "protection" is an iffy proposition.

One may carry a uncased long gun on a public way only when lawfully engaged in hunting; one may not carry a loaded long gun within 150' of a public way (it says, IIRC "Hard surfaced" but what that means is open to interpretation), as one may not lawfully hunt within 150' of a public way.

If one is carrying a long gun, and one is not lawfully engaged in hunting, then it must be "cased"; you use the term "scabbard" - now, using the current Hunter Ed curriculum as a guide (since the woods is where you may find an EPO) there is a difference - a scabbard is open, where a case can be closed.

I would be very, very circumspect in using "public" land unless you are absolutely sure that there's no problem.

I know, Massprudence. [puke]

Case in point: the Town of Framingham was thrown into a tizzy a few years back, when a person requested permission from the Town to hunt on Town-owned land over by the women's prison, as required by Town by-law (no hunting without permission of landowner). Of course, they said, "NO!" but it was a bit of a problem for a bit, as nobody had ever thought of this. If it's Water Department, or another public/quasi-public entity tread carefully.

Man with a GUN in the WOODS is a hell of a catchy headline.....

[rolleyes]

IANAL, and all that.....

Do you have a cite stating it's only lawful to posses a loaded rifle or shotgun for hunting?

ETA: public way! I agree!

Last edited:
Also, there is game that can be hunted in MA without a hunting license.

There are animals that can be taken without a closed season, without daily limits etc. but a hunting license is still required and Sunday hunting/shooting restrictions still apply.

Do you have a cite stating it's only lawful to posses a loaded rifle or shotgun for hunting?

ETA: public way! I agree!

No, as it is lawful to hunt some species with handguns. The OP was about carrying a rifle, so my response was in reference to that.

The rules about what can be carried where and when during what seasons are labyrinthine. Of course. [rolleyes]

Wrong. Look up the hunting regs on Bull frogs.

Aha! Right you are wrt licenses. I normally have a good grasp of the hunting regs, been reading them for 35 years now. (Damn!) But there are still seasonal and Sunday restrictions in effect.

Aha! Right you are wrt licenses. I normally have a good grasp of the hunting regs, been reading them for 35 years now. (Damn!) But there are still seasonal and Sunday restrictions in effect.

It's just nice know that piece of info as it could get you out of a jam if your were accused of hunting without a license. Also, hunting Bull frogs is common with a .22 rifle and can be taken at night.

Absolutely! I've always had a hunting license since I was 14, so never had to worry about that.

We used to just grab a stick and a flashlight, lol.

Back
Top Bottom