• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID questions

GSG

A friend recently got their FID, and had some questions for me that I find myself unable to answer, so here I am.

When reading MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm), about carrying firearms in a vehicle, it seems to me like it only applies to people who hold an LTC. Is this correct? Either way, what are the laws about transporting a gun in a vehicle with an FID only?

Also, IIRC I read on here that the safe storage laws only apply to someone with an LTC, not to someone with an FID. I've tried searching for the specific law but I'm not having any luck.

And finally, if one held only an FID, what would the laws be WRT camping or hiking in Mass. with a long gun? Does it have to be cased or unloaded unless they're actively hunting?

Thanks in advance.

The storage and transportation laws for long guns are the same for them.

As far as camping and hunting, If the firearm is under there direct control and they are in an area where it is legal to posses such long gun they would be fine. They would have to check MGL, Hunting regs, and local regs. Prior to possessing.

Note: in some areas possession of a firearm in the woods is "hunting" so they might be in trouble on Sundays or any day if they didn't have a valid hunting license.

When reading MGL Chapter 140 Section 131C (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131c.htm), about carrying firearms in a vehicle, it seems to me like it only applies to people who hold an LTC. Is this correct? Either way, what are the laws about transporting a gun in a vehicle with an FID only?

Correct, 131C only apples to LTC holders. 131C concerns handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns. FID holders cannot possess those guns, so 131C is irrelevant for them. The legal requirements for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, which FID holders can possess, is that they must be unloaded while in a vehicle (per C. 131 § 63). If you leave them unattended in a vehicle, the storage laws come into effect.

GSG said:
Also, IIRC I read on here that the safe storage laws only apply to someone with an LTC, not to someone with an FID. I've tried searching for the specific law but I'm not having any luck.

No, you must confusing it with something else. C. 140 § 131L applies to everyone.

GSG said:
And finally, if one held only an FID, what would the laws be WRT camping or hiking in Mass. with a long gun? Does it have to be cased or unloaded unless they're actively hunting?

Not strictly, but there are a bunch of laws you can easily violate (C. 131 § 57, § 66, § 67, §70, and also C. 269 § 12D). I would advise against possessing a rifle or shotgun while camping unless you've studied the above laws.

The storage and transportation laws for long guns are the same for them.

As far as camping and hunting, If the firearm is under there direct control and they are in an area where it is legal to posses such long gun they would be fine. They would have to check MGL, Hunting regs, and local regs. Prior to possessing.

Note: in some areas possession of a firearm in the woods is "hunting" so they might be in trouble on Sundays or any day if they didn't have a valid hunting license.

Correct, 131C only apples to LTC holders. 131C concerns handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns. FID holders cannot possess those guns, so 131C is irrelevant for them. The legal requirements for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, which FID holders can possess, is that they must be unloaded while in a vehicle (per C. 131 § 63). If you leave them unattended in a vehicle, the storage laws come into effect.

No, you must confusing it with something else. C. 140 § 131L applies to everyone.

Not strictly, but there are a bunch of laws you can easily violate (C. 131 § 57, § 66, § 67, §70, and also C. 269 § 12D). I would advise against possessing a rifle or shotgun while camping unless you've studied the above laws.

So, safe storage applies to everyone, unload the vehicle in the car, and don't even bother WRT a shotgun/rifle in the woods outside of hunting.

I wouldn't mind getting into hunting, but I don't think I could remember all of those regulations I just read without a color-coded chart of some kind. What a headache.

And am I reading MGL Chapter 131 Section 70 correctly?!? Are you seriously not allowed to carry a pistol when hunting deer?!?

(http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/131-70.htm)

Chapter 131: Section 70. Hunting with rifle, revolver or pistol, or by the aid of a dog; primitive firearms

Section 70. A person shall not, during the open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, hunt a bird or mammal with a rifle, revolver or pistol or by the aid of a dog, or have in his possession or under his control in any wood or field, a rifle, revolver or pistol, or a dog. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the use of dogs to hunt waterfowl in coastal waters and salt marshes during the open season on migratory waterfowl.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, the director may authorize the use of primitive firearms or shotguns with a rifled bore for hunting during any period when deer may be hunted by means of a firearm under rules and regulations promulgated in accordance with section five.

And am I reading MGL Chapter 131 Section 70 correctly?!? Are you seriously not allowed to carry a pistol when hunting deer?!?

Yup, unless there's a pistol season for deer (I assume there isn't, but I'm not a hunter so I've never actually checked).

Yup, unless there's a pistol season for deer (I assume there isn't, but I'm not a hunter so I've never actually checked).

If you're carrying a gun around in public, you should keep it concealed, and do everything in your power to avoid using it. It's illegal to carry a loaded shotgun on a public way, but you can carry a loaded pistol on a public way. If you're carrying a shotgun through the woods, looking for something to shoot and kill, it's illegal to even bring a pistol, concealed or exposed, loaded or not.

I can't think of a situation where I would want to carry a long gun without having a handgun to fall back on. Oh wait, yes I can...hunting in Mass. [crying]

I really need to move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom