• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID grandfathered in?

Hey guys - I’ve been reading the forums for a while and finally joined. I took a NRA basic pistol course a few weeks ago and applied for my LTC in Blackstone, MA a couple days later and just waiting for it to show up in the mail…can’t wait.

The reason I’m posting is actually not for me but for someone I know - he got an FID back in the 80’s and just owned a 22 long rifle for having fun in the woods but eventually sold it. Hes still got the FID and was interested in shooting again (I’ve seemed to re-spark his interest) but I was curious if he’s “grandfathered in” and can legally purchase another 22? He thought he could because he was told it was good forever without needing to renew it, although I was taught you needed to notify of a change of address and he no longer lives at the address on the license.

So 1, is it still valid? And 2, if not can he renew or apply without taking a course? Thanks and great forum[grin]

The "lifetime" FIDs are no longer any good.

From a statuatory standpoint, he should be able to apply for a new FID or LTC without taking another course. If he wants the LTC, the PD *might* require he take a new course (as a "suitability" requirement), but that depends on the town.

Alright thanks a lot guys wicked quick responses lol. Hopefully the chief won't make him take a course to renew.

After dealing with the chief myself he seems like a GREAT guy and was a really quick and painless application process (called him, he told me to come in next day and then we filled out the paperwork/prints/photo and said I'll see my LTC no restrictions within 4 weeks).

Thanks again for the help and welcome to NES!

Whether a course is required is up to the Chief. Ms Happy's FID (old, lifetime) expierd, and, since she's not the shooter, didn't notice. Her varsity letter in Riflery was accepted as sufficeint for a "New issue" (though if she had one before was it "new"?)[rolleyes]. But it might not be everywhere. As they say, YMMV.

Please keep us apprised as to how it shakes out - with the town-to-town variability, it should be interesting!

Welcome!

Last edited:
It depends on what your definition of, "is," is.

And to be "fair," IIRC the actual wording was, "Indefinite unless suspended or revoked." It there was no guarantee of equatibility, or fairness. All that needed to be done was to revoke them, for the hell of it. And there you go.

It was a reasonable restriction, after all....

Back
Top Bottom