FID Fee Change Effective 7/12/11 for Minors

The budget (i.e. Chapter 68 of the Acts of 2011) has been finalized*. See section 93 for the under 18 FID cost reduction...

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2011/Chapter68

ETA: *It was signed 7/11 with some portions vetoed by the Governor, which caused it be sent back to the House for possible veto override. It was released today, and the FID fee reduction survived intact.

Last edited:
I took my grandson to Mass Firearms School for his basic safety course tonight. I didn't sit in, but he said the instructor made no mention of fees or changes.

I got an email from the school telling me about the change in law and they are reducing the class cost for those under 18...

Thanks for the info guys. My son has been asking me to get him his FID card for a while now. I've been dragging my feet. Simply cause I did not want to spend $100 on it. Lame maybe, but true. With it being $25 I have no excuse now.

SOB I passed mine in 2 weeks ago... With a $100 check!

Edit: I passesd my check and all that other good stuff in on 7/13.

Should I go down to the station and ask for the $75?

I went down to the station to talk to the guy and he said there wasn't much he could do. They weren't notified of the change until after I passed my money in so they can't give me my money back.

MA government has gone to garbage

I went down to the station to talk to the guy and he said there wasn't much he could do. They weren't notified of the change until after I passed my money in so they can't give me my money back.

MA government has gone to garbage

That is pure BULLSHIT! If they WANTED TO, they could correct the situation . . . but it would take some time and effort to do it, so they just won't "do the right thing"! [sad]

However, that is exactly how gov't works and they know that you won't do anything about it . . . it cost more in fees/lost time from work to sue a town for $75.00 than it is worth. I know that I'd get the same response in my own town if I was in that situation.

The Golden Rule applies here . . . he who has the gold, rules (and makes the rules)! [thinking]

That is pure BS! If they WANTED TO, they could correct the situation . . . but it would take some time and effort to do it, so they just won't "do the right thing"! [sad]

However, that is exactly how gov't works and they know that you won't do anything about it . . . it cost more in fees/lost time from work to sue a town for $75.00 than it is worth. I know that I'd get the same response in my own town if I was in that situation.

The Golden Rule applies here . . . he who has the gold, rules (and makes the rules)! [thinking]

Not true. Get the person, and some friends and relatives to call the entire Board of Selectmen, and watch things start happening.

I don't believe so. Email or phone is really the only way. During weekdays, one officer sits in the "penalty box" 7-1:30. Past those times, you need to walk into the station and pick up a phone and wait for an on duty officer to come to the station and talk to you. It's tough to get ahold of someone and actually have a conversation, although I will say the guy who has been there for the past couple of weeks is really down to earth and friendly. I don't think it's up to him to issue refunds.

I don't understand how they can't accept that they were wrong, and need to reimburse anyone who was overcharged.

...I don't understand how they can't accept that they were wrong, and need to reimburse anyone who was overcharged.

I would contact one or more of the following for assistance:

- Town Manager
- Board of Selectmen
- State Rep.
- State Sen.

I would contact one or more of the following for assistance:

- Town Manager
- Board of Selectmen
- State Rep.
- State Sen.

I did all of the above when my Wife was overcharged $10 by my PD for her renewal some years ago (it was $25 then and the chief added $10 to everyone due to the increased work involved).

The stink I raised resulted in the chief being ordered to only charge the state-mandated fee . . . but NOBODY got a nickle back on the overcharges. Suing for $10.00 is ludicrous and so is suing for $75.00 and the PDs know this so they will keep the money.

The PD would have to contact CJIS to correct the amount in their account (CJIS keeps track of what the town owes the state and that is $75 on a FID/LTC except for the $25 ones), then try to issue a refund thru the Selectmen (probably have to sign off on it) and then to the Town Treasurer to cut a check. Huge hassle for the PD and thus why they say "so sad, too bad, tough shit!"

[I agree that they should make it right. I'm just explaining why they don't/won't do that.]

Back
Top Bottom