FID compliant rifles or shotguns for home defense?

Ahhhhh, the irony: a great juxtaposition of post and username.

If you don't know what rifles you can buy on a FID, your certification class did you a massive disservice.

(6) A firearm identification card shall not entitle a holder thereof to possess: (i) a large capacity firearm or large capacity feeding device therefor, except under a license issued to a shooting club as provided under section 131 or under the direct supervision of a holder of a license issued to an individual under said section 131 at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range; or (ii) a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or large capacity feeding device therefor, except under a license issued to a shooting club as provided under said section 131 or under the direct supervision of a holder of a license issued to an individual under said section 131 at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range. A firearm identification card shall not entitle a holder thereof to possess any rifle or shotgun that is, or in such manner that is, otherwise prohibited by law. A firearm identification card issued pursuant to subclause (vi) of clause (1) of section 122D, shall be valid to purchase and possess chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate. Except as otherwise provided herein, a firearm identification card shall not be valid for the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental or transportation of a rifle or shotgun if such rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon as defined in section 121.

Are you in the boonies, cuz a rifle may not be the best choice. If you have neighbors, a shotgun may be better.

If you're out in God's country, an SKS or M1 Garand come to mind. Affordable, ammo is available and relatively affordable.

Are you in the boonies, cuz a rifle may not be the best choice. If you have neighbors, a shotgun may be better.

If you're out in God's country, an SKS or M1 Garand come to mind. Affordable, ammo is available and relatively affordable.

Even if you are in the boonies, if you're only going to have one home defense weapon - I'd go with a shotgun rather than a rifle. It's sufficient to drive away anyone, (or drop them). A Mossberg 500 pump would do the job nicely. I've got one; it's the only loaded firearm in my safe, attached to the inside of the door, and "cruiser ready".

My personal choice for a home defense weapon is my handgun with a weapon mounted light on it. But that's because I shoot handguns a lot and I'm really comfortable with them whereas I don't shoot the shotgun(s) enough. Every time I pick up one of the shotguns, I have to think about what I'm doing with it. Manipulating the controls on my handgun(s) is second nature to me at this point.

One thing I still don't understand about "large capacity" is how it applies to semi auto shotguns given the various length of shells. Do you defer to the longest or smallest shell size for the magic five round capacity? For instance, a Mossberg 18.5" 590s can hold five 3" shells, or six 2 1/4" shells, or nine 1 3/4" shells.

Even if you are in the boonies, if you're only going to have one home defense weapon - I'd go with a shotgun rather than a rifle. It's sufficient to drive away anyone, (or drop them). A Mossberg 500 pump would do the job nicely. I've got one; it's the only loaded firearm in my safe, attached to the inside of the door, and "cruiser ready".

My personal choice for a home defense weapon is my handgun with a weapon mounted light on it. But that's because I shoot handguns a lot and I'm really comfortable with them whereas I don't shoot the shotgun(s) enough. Every time I pick up one of the shotguns, I have to think about what I'm doing with it. Manipulating the controls on my handgun(s) is second nature to me at this point.
Pretty much same here. My neighbors are within spitting distance on all sides so a rifle is out and I dont play with shotguns enough to be comfortable operating one under stress in the dead of the night. It'll be a pistol for me as well

Back
Top Bottom