• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID ar-15

so many dads are guilty of straw purchase when that 22 you got for your 10th birthday and then transfered to you when 18 and or licensed.

Gifts are exempt from being considered straw purchases. Buying a gun with the explicit intention of SELLING it to someone else at a later date is, however, the definition of a straw purchase.

even more confussion..
OK licensed buyer buys gun for sons birthday gift, hands it over to unlicensed son on his brthday and off he goes with the gun. Fine thats ok it was a gift.
Straw purchase is when a licensed or legally able person buys a gun for someone who is not and then release control of that firearm to unlicensed person, is it not.

Any how I quess you will just have to wait for you A or B

A straw purchase is when a buyer uses an intermediary (the "straw man") to purchase a firearm(s) from a licensed firearms dealer. The purpose is to hide the true identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm(s). Straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the actual possessor. Frequently, the actual purchaser is a prohibited person under federal law.

If a straw purchase has occurred, does that indicate illegality on the part of the dealer?

No. While firearms dealers are trained by ATF to detect suspicious behavior that may indicate a possible straw purchase, it is often difficult for the dealer to know if the person standing before him at the retail counter is a legitimate purchaser or acting as a straw purchaser (willing to lie on the Form 4473 in order to obtain the firearm). It is possible for a straw purchaser to lie on the Form 4473, pass the mandatory background NICS check and obtain the firearm without any knowledge or complicity on the part of the licensed dealer. While the purchase may have been a criminal act, it does not mean the sale by the dealer was also illegal or that the dealer is corrupt.

Complicating matters, it is perfectly legal for one person to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person. For example, a grandfather for his grandson or a husband for his wife.

this last line really makes it funny....could you just emagine......"what license, it was a gift. I dont need a license"

I guess you just have to ask for a AR for your birthday

Last edited:
i don't think i meet their qualifications because there isn't a cmp member range near me also i'm alittle nervus about buying a rifle i have never seen i'm most of the rifles are good but there is that 1 in a thousand.
Depends on what you pick. I sent for a service grade HRA for $595 and got a beautiful gun. Since most of the HRA's were built within a few years of the Garand's replacement by the M14 as the US service rifle, you stand a decent shot of getting a real nice rifle. The are a few that saw some use in Greece, but I would think you still have a much better shot than with a SA that could be from pre-WWII.

I saw someone mention bolt action; while that's a hell of a deviation from the OP's original desire of an AR, he could score a decent Moisin for well under $200 clams. Plus, at 18 or 19 years old and likely not flush with cash, the price of 54R isn't cost prohibitive to a long day at the range.

Last edited:
mac1911, I'll try and make this as simple as possible to alleviate your confusion:

1) In general, when you buy a gun from a dealer, you must be the intended owner of that gun.
2) The only exception to this is a gun intended to be given as a gift. This means that the buyer is paying for it, to give (not sell) to someone else, be it that day or in 10 years.
3) Buying a gun for someone else when they are not legally eligible either using their money (they pay you first) or selling it to them afterwards, is illegal. It does not matter if they become legally eligible later. Buying a gun with the intention of transferring ownership (other than as a gift) is a straw sale.
4) Even if you clear federal law, and give a firearm as a gift, you still need to comply with all the state laws. This includes proper licensing.

atmay......what fun......any how back to OP
CMP qualifications affiliated clubs GOAL, Garand Collector Associstion

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/7678-CMP-Process
The Service Grade Garands will be the finest sight unseen gun purchase you will ever make. Seriously go to and gun shop ANY gun shop and see the 2x4 sewer pipes they offer for 619.00 delivered to your door! The CMP will work with you with any issues you may have with your purchase. If you want a nice shooting garand for good deal a service grade garand from the cmp can not be beat. I have a 1942 and a 1952 both are 100% shooters. I had a issue with clip ejection it took a few days to finally find the time to get both endss on the phone but they walked me through a few checks and we found the problem. weak clip ejector spring.

CMP purchase should be with out issue. They run on volenteers who truely love what they do. Fast they may not be but Very good at what they do.

Back
Top Bottom